- advertisement -

Do you routinely carry glucagon?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Boo, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Boo

Boo Approved members

Reading another thread got me thinking...I do not routinely carry glucagon with me when we leave the house (only if we go somewhere overnight). I always have juice and/or glucose tabs, crackers, and a meter, but that's pretty much it (unless we'll be out for a meal in which case I'd take insulin and a syringe...until last week when we started the pump).

I am curious how many of you routinely take the glucagon with you when you go about your daily activities with your kids?

2. CarrieP

CarrieP Approved members

Always... I keep one in my purse as well as in her supply bag. I take one even when she is not with me just in case someone has a D seizure in my presence. I say this only because I had a stranger do this to me once, and since then I decided I had better always be prepared...

3. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

We just started routinely carrying glucagon all the time. I used to only carry it for overnight trips. I have a huge purse and I carry everything with us that we might need.

4. georgia

georgia Approved members

the glucagon kit is always with us, always.

5. Caynuns mom

Caynuns mom Approved members

I carry one all the time and I hope I never have to use it.

6. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Never carry glucagon. We are lucky if we remember juice and now we keep test kits in the car because we never remember them either....

7. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

always! You just never know when you'll need it ;)

8. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

sometimes

I have one in my handbag, 1 at school and the rest at home. I wouldn't expect someone to administer it so have warned friends to call 111 (911 where you guys are) if there's a problem and then call me... who ever gets their first can deal with it. Ivan's really good at knowing when he's going low. He always travels with his moniter and a 'kit' but the glucagon isn't in it.

9. 3jennifer

3jennifer Approved members

We always carry one with us. Luckily we have never needed it. I have one I keep in my purse, one in the school nurses office, one with my son's diabetes kit in the football locker room and one we keep with our supplies in the house. When my son sleeps over at a friends house, he always takes one with him.

10. Noel

Noel Approved members

We always carry it :)

11. Mojo's mommy

Mojo's mommy Approved members

I have never and will never leave home, even to the corner store without it.

The one time I do will guaranteed be the time I will need it.It is just to o important...literally a LIFE SAVER!

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I always have Kaylee's glucagon on me.. never fails.. I won't go anywhere without that.. :)

13. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

Other than going to or from school, glucagon is always with Hunter in his kit. Then there is one at home, one at school, one at grandmas and an extra one at home just in case.

14. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

I guess since we're still new, we're into overkill here. :rolleyes: We keep glucagon in each car, in my purse, in her bedroom dresser drawer and in her low box at her desk at school. I send her to dance class with tabs, juice and glucagon (teacher is an ER RN who knows how to use it). She does eat extra carbs first.

In addition, we keep a low box with juice, tabs, icing, granola bars, extra strips and lancing device in a rubbermaid box in each ear and in her desk at school. She carries 4 tabs in a holder on her pump pouch. My purse is filled with icing tubes and tabs.

15. zeb'smom

zeb'smom Approved members

They call it a glucagon emergency kit for a reason. You never know when you might need it.

16. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Yep, one in my purse, one in Hailey's D bag, one at school, one at gma's house, and two at home. I NEVER want to use it but always want it near.

17. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I take it with me if I'm staying overnight somewhere, and that's it.

18. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Yep. There is the rare occasion if blood sugars have been stable and we are headed up to a restaurant where we will leave it at home. But otherwise we always take it.

19. selketine

selketine Approved members

Always. I turn around and drive home if I forget it.

20. cbanks

cbanks Approved members

Learned hard way

When I first found out I had diabetes I didn't care it...
    Then! one day came when I really needed it and it wasn't there, no one knew what was wrong with my because I didn't have it with me.. It didn't end up good.

Now.. I NEVER go anywhere without it.
    You should also always wear a medic alert aswell.

~ Banks.