- advertisement -

Do you prime first and then change set?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by denise3099, Apr 19, 2010.

1. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Or do you put on a new set and then disconnect to prime?

I always attach the set to the filled resvoir, put it into the pump, prime, attache the new set and then so a fixed prime.

But in one of the numerous booklets and paperwork (maybe for the mio?) I saw the directions said to do the site change "dry" and then discommect it and attach to the res as usual and fill the tubing. then when you reattach you do the fixed prime. I guess it doesn't really matter (as long as you are not connected when priming!!!) but it seemed a little odd to me.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I prime the tubing before putting the set in, and then do a fix prime to fill the cannula.. there have been a few times that I've had a brain fart and put the set in BEFORE priming, then I just disconnect, prime the tubing and then connect and do a fixed prime.:)

3. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

The order I do it is;

-fill the new resevoir
    -insert the new infusion set
    -disconnect the new tubing and get the pump from my son
    -swap resevoirs and prime
    -set the menu to fixed prime
    -give the pump back to my son to hook up and verify that he does the fixed prime

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm not sure I follow exactly what you're saying, but we use Sils, and what we do is as follows:

1. Put on new site.
    2. Disconnect old site. Remove old reservoir and tubing.
    3. Put new reservoir and tubing into pump.
    4. Prime new tubing.
    5. Connect to new site and fixed prime.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son needs the insulin in the site within seconds of inserting it.

We prime first, put in the site and fill the cannula.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If we're changing out everything, then I:

Disconnect from kid
    Disconnect tubing from pump
    Spray old infusion set with adhesive remover
    Wipe new site area with alcohol
    Remove old cartridge
    Insert new cartridge
    Attach new tubing ( connected to infusion set)
    Prime tubing
    Insert infusion set
    Fill cannula
    Remove old infusion set
    Clean up old site area with antiseptic wash

All in all it takes like 2 minutes ;)

I really love that it's not a big deal anymore :cwds:

7. hawkeyegirl

I wanted to add that the reason we put the new site on before we do anything else is that with the Sils, he's stressed by the needle, so we get that step out of the way first. :)

8. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Yes, That's what I meant. I think most ppl do all the priming first before attaching the site. But then I read that you can attach the site first and then just disconnect it to do all the priming. I guess it doesn't matter but I just hadn't considered doing the change dry that way. I like knowing though that I can switch things up as needed--dd sometimes gets impatient with whatever I'm doing.

9. zell828

zell828 Approved members

We remove the old reservoir, rewind, then fill the new reservoir, prime it to get the air bubbles out. Then we put it in my SD, and add the .3 to finish priming.

10. hawkeyegirl

I think I'm really dense today. Are you saying that you attach the empty tubing to the new site, put the new site on, detach the empty tubing, prime it, reattach it, and fixed prime? :confused:

ETA: Are you using SureTs? Because we do those different. Attach set to tubing, prime, and insert site. That's the only way to do those.

11. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

This sounds like the question I had a few weeks ago that confused everyone!

Here is what I do:
    Disconnect
    Ella pulls out old insertion
    While she does that I rewind and fill new cartridge
    When Ella is done, we insert new
    Then Ella disconnects and I attach cartridge and prime
    Ella reconnects and I fill cannula

12. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

This is so interesting - it would never have occurred to me to prime everything before changing the set! These days we generally change sets and reservoirs at different times, so here's how a typical set change goes:

- Wipe new site with SkinPrep.
    - Insert new set into dd.
    - Unclip tubing from old set and plug it into new set (sometimes we do this immediately, sometimes we let the new site sit for a few hours to be less irritated before moving it over).
    - Do .7 fixed prime in new set.
    - Remove old set at some later time, so that any basal insulin that may have been recently delivered isn't sucked out during the removal. When we're on the ball, we remove the old set within an hour or two; when we're not, it's been known to stay in an extra day or two until someone notices it.:rolleyes:

If we're changing the reservoir and tubing at the same time as the set, we'll put in the new set and then let it settle while we fill the new tubing and get the new reservoir (which was filled the night before and left to sit, sometimes with the tubing attached and sometimes not) installed in the pump. Then clip the new tubing into the new set and do the fixed prime.

13. canadianmomto6

canadianmomto6 Approved members

This is exactly what we do.