- advertisement -

Do you or your child wake from a low?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Deannas mom, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

Deanna has always been able to feel her lows, as soon as she goes below 70 she feels it, but she has never woke from a low. Ive just lately caught lows as low as 40 during the night with Deanna and she never stirred, she didn't know she was low until I awoke her and told her she was low and needed to drink some juice, once she woke up she would feel the low and said that she feels very dizzy and like she wanted to faint. If she feels it upon waking, why doesn't she feel it while asleep?

2. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I wish Mia would wake from a low, too :(. She doesn't though. Same with the high. She will usually feel it when awake but no way when she is sleeping... :(

3. khannen

khannen Approved members

Shealyn doesn't recognize her lows at all. I can see signs in her but she has never indicated noticing a difference. Blech....

4. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I dont always wake up when I go low during the night either. My body kicks in and brings me up, then I wake up rebounding, that is so much fun.

Back to orginal question, my husband has woke me up and got me to test and drink when he noticed my low symtoms during my sleep, trashing around, talking in my sleep, kicking all the covers off, that kind of thing.

5. BlessedIAm

BlessedIAm Approved members

DS does not always pick up on his lows when he's a awake and definitely is not aware of his highs. I wish he would wake for a low/high. He has told me a couple of times that he "didn't sleep well" when he has woken up high.

DH wakes with lows but by the time he wakes up his body has kicked in the adrenalin and he usually wakes up with a bang.

6. Deannas mom

Ive seen that with deanna, I will see her legs moving a lot, like she's having a bad dream. God I wished she would feel them its so scary that she doesent:(

7. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I was diagnosed at 7 and didn't start waking up from lows on my own untill I was about 14. I'm pretty good about feeling lows during the day- I usually catch them in the 50's or 60's, but during the night I wake up in the 40's. I still don't always wake up on my own: sometimes its the CGMS going of that gets me up or my mom happend to wake up and decided to come check me.

8. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Liv does not wake up from her lows.

9. Carly

Carly Approved members

I’m an adult and I don't wake from lows unless they're under 2-2.5 (36-45) ... I only wake b/c I get extremely sweaty.

My Mum has told me I get very restless during my sleep when I'm low and talk in my sleep, but even then she can't wake me up to test myself. During the day though, I have no trouble feeling lows at all!

10. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Hailey does not ever wake from lows, she sleeps no different if she is low, in range, or high.

11. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Nope, last night my sensor says I hit 44, and I slept through the whole thing.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby never wakes from lows, but always from hi's. It's usually because with hi's she has really weird, freaky dreams.

We use a baby monitor because I can hear her thrashing around, so this is usually an indication that something is up.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I thought my son slept the whole night, almost without stirring. At home, he never wakes up for a high or low.

Last fall (at age 13) he went on a class trip and woke up in the middle of the night with a low. I guess when home he knows his parents are keeping tabs on him and sleeps without concern.

14. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Lilly was dx'd at 23 months and has been waking up w/ lows right from the start.

15. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I wake up when I am low. The adrenaline response usually causes my heartbeat to become very intense, and so that does it most of the time.

Sometimes when I am low at night, I will dream about donuts, and I "know" to wake up when I dream about donuts. Crazy, I know.

16. wkat

wkat Approved members

I still do, luckily. Have no idea what will happen w/ my son. I wake up usually in the 40s sometimes even 50s, but for the first time ever I woke up with a LO on my meter in the middle of the night a few days ago. I'm positive I've been lower than LO in the past, just haven't felt the need to test to treat it all the time. Sometimes I dream about food and trying to find food, etc. when I'm low. And sometimes I'm trying to find water in my dreams when I'm high.

Wendy
    T1 33 years
    Mom to Eli, 4 yo, early onset T1

17. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

he has one time, that's it. The dog has woken me up twice when Tony was sleeping in a different bed, which is kind of comforting ;)

18. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

Makaela always wakes up when she is low. She will sit straight up in bed and yell for me. She has always been low when she has done it too.

19. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Tom almost always feels his lows, usually wakes when low, can predict his number pretty accurately...usually within 5 points. He can be anywhere from the 30's to the 60's when he feels it.

Except for the one time when the meter read "LO" and the one time he ended up in the ER with a hypo seizure. Kinda scary that the really low lows don't trigger a response.

He's never been stopped in his tracks by a high number.

Becky

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  20. Deannas mom

Looks like it's a 50/50 toss up on feeling lows/higs. I guess the only way to be really safe is to a.) test every night as we have been
    B.) get a CGMS or C.) a diabetic alert dog:D