- advertisement -

Do you lower basal for altitude?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CaitlynGrisham, Feb 23, 2013.

1. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I was told to lower my basal 20% overall because I am going into the mountains on a geology expedition for the day. I was just wondering if anyone else does this or has done it in the past? I'd never heard of lowering basal to account for an altitude change!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

some people go low, some go high with altitude. Since there will be other factors at play, i.e., exercise, excitement, stress, heat or cold you really can't just assume that the altitude is the driving factor. I'd just leave it, bring tons of low stuff and if needed, correct conservatively.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

When we were in high altitudes it was a combo of altitude and high activity (skiing) and we anticipated lows. Didn't happen. I think for him the added ingredient of adrenaline kept things level. He had one major low in the evening one day, but generally did pretty well. I wouldn't do anything proactively, just be prepared.

Funny part is that when I read your title I was expecting a post on ATTITUDE as that's the word my brain registered. I was thinking "why would I lower basal for attitude???" Ha. Have a fun trip!

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

When Molly returns to Denver, she never lowers basal for altitude!

5. Jenneve93

Jenneve93 Approved members

We recently took a short trip to the mountains for a wedding. My son ran high the whole weekend. A lot of that was attributed to the long car ride to get there and back, but in between was crazy highs and increased basals.

6. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Our experiences have been higher altitude = higher TDD. We have had to increase TDD by 30-100% depending on the altitude.

7. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Just returned from vacationing in a lower altitude location (near ocean vs living higher near mountains). DD had very high numbers all week long! Had to increase her basals 30-60% and still fighting highs with the increases. We are on edge tonight to see if she will drop tonight since we are home and still have basal increase on.

8. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

We have traveled to high altitude a few times since diagnosis and DS experiences higher insulin needs at higher altitudes even with increased activity. We stay over 8,000 feet and ski at altitudes up to 12,000 feet so we are at a pretty high altitude but we need to increase tdd. YDMV.:cwds:

9. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We were in Maui and went up Haelakala, the highest road in the U.S. (I think 10,000 feet). Hana's number was in the 400s the entire time. No matter how much we bolused. At first I thought it was the meter, but when we checked when we got back to sea level, it was still reading in the 400s. The corrections worked when we got back down.
    I think you have to wait and see.

10. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

My in laws live in Denver so we spend a lot of time there, probably about a month out of each year.

We've consistently found that DD goes high when we go. It's about a 5000ft change for us and her blood sugar numbers shoot through the roof. We can leave her carb ratios the same but we have to nearly double her basal.

11. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

Next summer we will be moving to Quito, Ecuador - which is the highest capital city in the world at just over 9000 ft above sea level. We;ll be living there for 3-4 years.

I'm a little worried about what that will bring for our T1D son as well - I really hope that after a period of acclimation his bg's will return to his normal range.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We live about 90 minutes from the White Mtns. whenever we go visit, almost immediately we have to increase basal. You think after all these years of living here we'd learn to start the increase the minute we get into the car:eek: