- advertisement -

Do you log?

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Sandy's mom, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

I'm curious- as adults do you log, always? My dh very rarely does. I guess as a child he didn't, so he never got in the habit as a grown-up. I confess that I'm not so great about always writing our dd's numbers down:(.

Is it so important as long as their A1Cs are low?

2. ccarrol4

ccarrol4 Approved members

Hi! I do log. I go through my monitor once a week and write down the numbers. My endo doesn't look at my monitor, he just looks at the log, so I haven't actually got a choice. Before I graduated to my "adult endo", my endo downloaded my monitor to the computer, so we didn't worry about logging...

3. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

Only on the morning before my endo appointment, when I write down what's in my meter from the previous week as a courtesy to her. (Or I write down my 7 day fasting and post prandial averages depending on how much time I want to spend on it). But on my own, I never do and don't feel the need to. It's something that was always a major source of irritation and stress when I was younger and I just don't like doing it anymore.

I got into the habit of keeping up with the trends in my head and verifying them by going over the info in my meter, with the averages, graphs, etc. once or twice a week to stay on track. It's less stress for me that way.

4. sofaraway

sofaraway Approved members

i only log for the 2 weeks before my yearly endo appointment. And i find that really difficult. I've tried time and time again to keep a log but can't do it. My A1c is very good and stable so I don't think it's a big deal.

5. mysnackrifice

mysnackrifice Approved members

nope. i suck at remembering to write things down. my momma did it for me for 12 years, and i never wrote the numbers in at all. even in high school, when i came home i'd just tell her what it was all day, when i snacked, how much i bolused for lunch, and then she'd write them in.

so i don't. my glucometer keeps pretty good track though.

6. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Even with good A1C's, I do log all my daughter's numbers. No, she's not an adult, but I think it helps me to evaluate and change her values when the time comes. It also helps me look at past patterns to determine what I did when a sickness occurred or something else that affected the numbers. If I didn't have my log, I would feel like I'm making blind changes. I know that's what an endo team is for, but to tell you the truth, they don't look at the extreme detail that I do. I personally don't feel that just looking at BG numbers is enough, it's not the whole picture. JMO.:)

7. lilkittykt

lilkittykt Approved members

No logging here-
    my parents did a fabulous job of logging EVERYTHING when I was growing up!
    However, when I moved out on my own, that was the first thing that went....
    When my daughter was dxd, I logged everything faithfully-
    now we are both on pumps & I let the pumps do all the record keeping for me :)

8. Carly

Carly Approved members

Not since getting a new educator Jul this yr - she downloads my meter (not happy about it) prior to that I logged.
    Thinking I'll get the cables etc for meter now and download it for endo appointments and to see patterns for myself. I know since I stopped logging I don't pick up on patterns and it makes it hard to adjust I:C and basals where/if needed.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I log sometimes, but I don't think it's important. I think you need to remember what's been going on with your doses, and if you need to write it to remember it, write, and if not, not. I tend to just write the Lantus dose, because I change it so often.

10. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I couldn't say it better, when I used get sloppy and not log, I couldn't make educated changes, and I make all my own changes. I've never allowed a doctor to do that, only to guide me. My mum was the same(guess where I get it from):rolleyes:.
    I have a treo phone/palm which allows me to enter all my numbers and I download it to my computer, much easier then handwriting it all!

My current endo just reads the bgs and doses on the device, and goes over it with me to see if she can make suggestions(she never has yet).

11. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

i used to before I started pumping. Now I just download the pump.

12. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

I log my numbers in spurts; I go through phases where I'm very diligent and write them down every day, then get "too busy" to continue. "Too busy" usually translates into "too lazy" or "I'm too ashamed of my crap control lately to actually write these numbers down." ;)

13. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

Nope. Like others, it was a source of frustration when I was young, and now, between everything else going on in my life, it's just a general pain. I have a decent A1c, and I'm pretty good at remembering day to day how I've been running (i.e., I've been low every night at 8 for three days), so I don't stress about it. I log for 10 days before endo appts, and that's it.

14. someone

someone Approved members

With my schedule I find it near impossible to log in a useful manner by hand. If I need statistics, I simply upload my meter, pump and cgms to the computer and that works very well. These days, there's software that will do the work for you... why waste your time doing it manually?

For small adjustments, I just do it by memory like LantusFiend.

15. suzeeq78

suzeeq78 New Member

I used to for years when on MDI & when starting pumping. Now, I do NOT at almost 4 years into pumping. When I go to the endo or the CDE I will upload my pump (MM 515 -- 2 weeks) and meter (Freestyle Lite -- 1 month). That's it!!! I got LAZY but really it's just too time consuming for me.
    suzeeq78

16. JimK

JimK New Member

I try pretty much when I can - just for good record keeping and it is good to have a full log when I go back to my doc ;) (found www.healthengage.com a couple of days ago - the widgets in iGoogle certainly make it much easier than using a piece of paper or a full software program of some sort. Anyone using it too? If so, maybe we should form a group there?)

17. whistler

whistler Approved members

I do log now more than ever! I also test a lot more than I used to. I was good at writing everything down right from the begining, but I was only testing 4 times a day... then I went through a phase of NEVER writing anything down&barely testing ever. But now I'm good. It's nice to see trends and things are always changing, so I like to see when I need to make ajustments.

18. mainliner

mainliner New Member

No I do not log and do not use the memory on the tester either, as long as the a1c is right, doctor doesn't need the information.