- advertisement -

Do you limit your child's carb intake?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aslan1994, Aug 23, 2011.

1. aslan1994

aslan1994 Approved members

Today after school I was going through my daughter's lunch box and found that she hadn't eaten her grapes. ( I'll just send them again tomorrow). But when I asked why she hadn't eaten them, she said that her teacher didn't want her to have them because she had had enough other carbs in the rest of her lunch. Really??? Would 12 grapes push her over the edge??? My dd was fine with not eating them so I really didn't make a big deal out of it, but do any of you have a limit of carbs that your d child should have in any given meal? Not counting the grapes, I think dd had 52 carbs for lunch.
    That said, her teacher is a dear, sweet lady who I know has dd's best interests at heart. Her teacher is also a type 2 d and I'm starting to wonder if that may be where these ideas may be coming from. Or maybe I should be watching her carb count more closely? I was under the impression that as long as she covered her carbs, she could have whatever (within reason). ;) Would love your thoughts as we are still kinda new at this... Thanks

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Personally I would tell this teacher to back off and allow your daughter to eat what you're sending to school... it sounds like what you are sending is a modest lunch compared to what many of the kids may be eating. D shouldn't really matter in this case, and personally I would be livid if any school official suggested to my kids that they not eat part of their HEALTHY lunch.

3. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

I am really new to this but I dont worry to much about my DD's carbs but I dont go gun ho either. My DD will usually eat 57g for lunch. That is with fruit chips and a sandwich.

4. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

Alot of type 2's get it backwards....I would let her know in a nice way that what you are sending her is what she should eat.That it's already counted out for her.My son is MUCH older and bigger so he eats close to 100 at each meal...
    but if he's hungry,there are times when he goes over..As long as your daughter is happy with what you send,I think that you should continue..moms know best!!!:D

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The teacher, no matter how well intentioned, crossed the line and you need to nip this in the bud. If there is a nurse at school have the nurse speak to her, if not then you must help her understand that Type 1 and 2 are not managed in the same way and that you and your DD's team are doing exactly what is appropriate for a growing child on injectable insulin and that she must not interfere in her meals. ;)

Good luck!

6. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

No carb limit here.

When we used NPH there were carb limits but with pumping or on MDI that should not be the case.

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

While I do encourage good carbs (low GI), I do that for my entire family, not just my CWD. My son voluntarily limits his carbs when he's working on his 6pack abs. ;) He also prefers to avoid carbs when he's working on stubborn highs. But those are totally his choice.

I definitely think the teacher is confusing Type 1 with Type 2, I imagine it's a well intentioned mistake.

Definitely no need to limit carbs.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'd also be concerned about how the teacher will behave when there are class parties and treats.

9. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

oh dear, don't eat fruit! Oh wait, that's great that she has it in her lunch!
    We don't limit carbs, but I must admit after having a toddler that only needed .5 units to cover most meals for the first few years, it is weird having to inject him with 2-3 to cover the carbs he needs now. I'm sure those with older kids and teens think that's nothing lol. But I don't limit them, I just say no to the crazy ideas he has like cake for dinner or sorbet for breakfast, just like I would for any kid, diabetes or not.

10. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Agreed. It's not her place.

We don't limit carbs at all. My son is turning 12 in a matter of weeks, he eats more and more the more he grows, and when we have pasta oh lord the count is high! But we have other meals where he has alot of food and pretty low carbs, chicken with rice and cucumbers for example. I think it balances out, and really see no reason to restrict his carbs.

11. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

we don't limit carbs, however I would say that we also look for lower glycemic options when available. BUT I'd never want another adult to make those decisions after I had served my child their meal, so, I'd some how bring it up to the teacher that as much as her observations were kind hearted type 1 diabetes is different than type 2. Maybe she needs to understand that there is not reversing type 1, that a change in diet and increased exercise won't change that your child NEEDS insulin for every morsel they eat (unless low:) ). I honestly believe that most type 2's just don't understand the difference, a little extra education may go a long way. If you're uncomfortable just educating the teacher you could ask if she, your daughter, was interested in you doing a mini education session for her class. Reyna at Beta Buddies Blog made a book that is rather humorous and educational for her to teach her son's class the basics of her son's diabetes (why he has a pump, CGM, needs sugar...ect)
    Just my opinion :)

12. sooz

sooz Approved members

did she go low from not eating the grapes? the teacher needs to know that her carbs are carefully counted and accounted for in her insulin dose and if she does not eat something she could go low. type 2s are told not to eat more than 60 carbs at any one time..that is probably what she was thinking..:confused:

13. RacerWife7

RacerWife7 Approved members

When my son was on shots, we had to limit him some. If we didn't, he'd end up spiking - even with the proper amount of shot! Now that he's on the pump, however, eating more carbs don't seem to bother him at all. I think it's the difference between the insulin brands, personally. As for the number of carbs??... My son is only 6 and will eat between 50 and 80 carbs per meal depending on how hungry he is. ...If I could only get him to eat MEAT, then he'd have less carbs. LOL!

But, as for ANYONE in school telling your daughter what she can and can't eat? Geez... I'd be MAD. I'd have to calm down some before I 'educated' that teacher. She has no right to do such a thing, IMO. ...And like Sara Maddie's Mom says: what's going to happen when there are b-day parties? Eek.

14. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

No limiting carbs here

My son is only 4. We don't limit carbs at all.

When I did that after diagnosis (a certain number of carbs for each meal, etc.) he was hungry all the time and I was stressed out! The Endo advised me not to worry about the carb intake unless the child was experiencing problems with their weight.

That is not the case here - my four year old is skinny mini! He takes in anywhere from 40 - 60 carbs at lunch.

I don't think it is a teacher's business what your child eats!

15. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

I do not limit carbs (with in reason - she is not going to eat a bunch of junk)

My Mom is type 2 and has been for a long time. So she has been eating a healthy type 2 way (carb limits) since she was dx'd. My Mom also watches my DD while I work (my Mom is the reason we caught my DD's Type 1 so early). With that being said, my Mom also thought my daughter needed carb limits and off limit foods as she does. My Mom loves my daughter dearly and was doing this because she loves her so much. So after the 2nd time I sat her down and talked to her about this she finally got it:D!

I would talk to the teacher and explain that she needs the carbs because of the insulin she has been given and that type 1 and type 2 are very different in the way they are treated.

16. wilf

wilf Approved members

we limit junk, not carbs.. :cwds:

17. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Same here.

18. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I would make sure that teacher knows that carbs don't matter, as long as she's taking the proper amount of insulin.. I mean, she shouldn't eat a whole pizza, lol.. but the teacher decided grapes would be bad? I'd make it clear that what you send is OK and that your child can decide what she does and doesn't want.. I had to deal with this for a long time, they'd freak out over the amount of carbs.. I finally got it through their heads! School hot lunches are discustingly high in carbs.. thats where the school was freakin out about..

19. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I would be *really* irritated that a teacher thinks she knows more about *my* child's chronic illness than I do! I live it, breathe it, and most of all *eat it!* Let her know your child was sent the amount of carbs you wanted her to have, and that the teacher is not to limit anything. That is your job. If you send it, it is ok for her to have it.

I would also talk to her about parties now, to prevent your child being left out when the first party rolls around.

20. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

Was your DD given insulin for all 52 carbs in her lunch? If so this teacher, despite her good intentions, could be doing more harm than good especially if she continues to limit your child's carb intake.

After DD's teacher went on maternity leave last year we had a steep learning curve with the substitute, so we've learned to tell DD's teachers/friend's parents that she is not on a low-carb diet and explain why. Most people are pleasantly surprised that DD can eat everything everyone else can eat.

On the plus side, it's great that this teacher is so willing to make sure your DD is kept healthy at school. It sounds like she just needs to learn about type 1 and she'll be a great advocate for your child.