- advertisement -

Do you leave on CGM transmitters on the body while at water park?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Aug 3, 2012.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I don't believe our water park wuoud care, but wonder how much risk I run of it tearing the transmitter off and losing it. Has it happened to anyone? I think Hawkeye said she lost something at one.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We did lose a transmitter at a water park. Grrrr.

We still wear them at water parks, but I'm more careful with placement and I tape the living bejesus out of it.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

We once left the transmitter on at the ocean and it was really ruff and lost it. It's about a grand - do you want to risk loosing a grand?

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We leave the Dexcom on if it still looks really well stuck. If its a raggedy old one anyway, we pull it and put a new one on after we're done with all the water.

5. Diana

Diana Approved members

My son has worn both the Dex and MM at waterparks and never had a problem. I don't even remember using extra tape!

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Dexcom you really cant remove the transmittter and keep the site. I just make sure it is on the arm and use vet wrap over.

7. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Same here, love the vet wrap :)

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

Leave it on ... sometimes we put tegaderm over it.

We spend a week at Atlantis, probably the world's largest water park, every year and we haven't lost a pod or a Dexcom transmitter ... knock on wood.

9. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

You can remove the Dexcom transmitter and still keep the site, by putting tape over it. I don't know if it would be a good idea though with all of the water. I did it once for two days while waiting for a new Dex. It was when we did the trial and the rep didn't know if it would work or not, but I decided to give it a try because the site was only a day or so old.

10. selketine

selketine Approved members

I taped it extra and then put vet wrap over it.

He find the vet wrap scratches his side underneath his arm - so he usually wears a swim shirt covering the whole deal which helps. If I was on the 2nd week of it I might pull it but that set up worked for us. He spent the entire day (like at least 6 hours) in a really rough wave pool plus he did some big slides.

If he was running around on his own more I might just pull it and have him test cause the Dex was fairly useless at a water park - it doesn't pick up the readings fast enough when he is near it - we just test.

11. tina

tina Approved members

You guys made me chuckle with the use of vet wrap to hold the transmitter on :)

I used to train horses and use vet wrap for all types of stuff, but hadnt thought to use it on the little guy-it sounds like the perfect solution!

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'd probably wrap the transmitter in layers of Hypafix because I couldn't afford to lose it ;) but yes, I'd keep it on. Last week I was in a pool for 2-3 hours each day, and the Hypafix (only one layer, as it wasn't a public pool where I was worried about losing the transmitter) lasted for about 4 days of that. When it did start to come off, it was just the edges peeling, so I changed the tape. Hypafix isn't the sort of tape that would just suddenly drop off. I think some of the clear, plasticky ones are worse for that. There is no way I could spend any time in the water using IV3000, for example.

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Wwe almosdt lost one but we did'nt know.

We got home and saw that it was almost off, e ould have lose it at the waterpark.

14. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Opsite is our savior. Worst case scenerio is that it peels at the edges but it's very durable. Thicker than tegaderm but not as easy to put on. I was reminded why I stopped using tegaderm recently when I tried it again and after being in the pool for 2 hours, it had peeled off considerably. No offense to die hard tegaderm users...it just doesn't work for us!!

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Your right Opsite rules. I posted this question, but had totally forgot we were at the beach(rough Atlantic) beginning of July. Both of my kids wore their transmitters in the ocean for about a day(we were only there one night camping so 3pm till dark and morning till 12am next day) We used Opsite on my son's MM CGM transmitter like always (no more taping than usual ) and it stayed like glue. My other son used Hypafix which we always put on second week and it stayed on no problems. Now IV3000 which we used years ago doesn't work at all for us in water. I guess I was more thinking at at White water park you might bump into a slide or wall coming down. At the ocean they were using wave boards and the surf was kind of rough.

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

Ours was IV3000 when we lost it. Also make sure it is totally dry before disconnecting the sensor - we lost one that way as well. She was swimming and the tape came off, so she unclicked the sensor and water got into it.