- advertisement -

Do you have your CWD's eyes checked ever year?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, May 18, 2013.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I was wondering if most people have their children with type 1's eyes checked every year ? I don't mean for just glasses, but dilated etc. retinal screening

2. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

We go every six months, and yes once a year for dilated eyes and exams.

3. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

Yes, Gregory sees an opthamologist who specializes in eye damage caused by diseases other than eye diseases, every year. We found him by accident. My other son had really poor vision so he was referred to an opthamologist who he continued to see for years. After Gregory was diagnosed, I asked Patrick's opthamologist if he could see Gregory and he said that he could, but that he would rather see this other doctor if he was accepting new patients.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son started seeing the ophthalmologist at age five (dx'd at 3). He goes every year to check for retinopathy. He gets his eyes dilated as part of the process.

5. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Yes. I think we started 5 yrs after dx which is what our endo recommended. It is good for them to be able to see any changes over the years.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

everyyear with retnal scan, no dilate.

7. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Yes every year she sees an ophthalmologist. Our Endo asks every visit if she has been within the last year.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yep - with dilation.

9. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Every year. Ophthalmologist uses OptiScan retina imaging, so no dilation needed.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  10. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Ever year we see the Ophthalmologist. He does retinal screening and then at CWD conference we get screening again.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

Full eye medical every year.

12. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter has a retinal scan each year, no dialation. Because of T1, our insurance will pay for the scans for her. My husband and my scans are OOP.

13. sariana

sariana Approved members

We had one done this year at age 8. Just think of it as another fun side effect to this horrible illness :(

14. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Every year. With dilation.

15. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I'm suposed to go every 6 months (but I have other eye issues) I defiantly think it's a good idea though, if there were to be a problem the sooner it's caught the better. and honestly most of my eye problems stem from dr's telling my mom and me that we didn't need to see an eye dr yet, and that we should wait until 6m after dx =/

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Every year to the ophthalmologist, health insurance covers it as part of diabetes care. We've opted for the retinal scan over dilation, but insurance doesn't cover it so it's out of pocket, but it was only $50. IMO, a fair trade off since we have such good lens/frame coverage we rarely ever pay out of pocket for glasses.

17. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We go yearly and do the renal scan out of pocket, I think ours is $35. We have since she was 5. She wears glasses and has had poor vision since way before she was diagnosed with diabetes.

18. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

my daughter had her first appt about a month ago, just shy of a year after dx. we were told to go within the first year to get a baseline, and the opthomologist told us to come back once a year for her first "decade of diabetes" and then twice yearly after that. seemed like a lot to me, but they are her eyes after all.

19. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

yep ... full medical ... every year :)

20. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Yes Ashleigh gets her eyes checked every year. Not only for the diabetes, but because she is near sighted and wears glasses. Her bad eyes have nothing to do with her diabetes, just dumb heredity. I wear glasses, and so do 3 out of 4 of my children.