- advertisement -

do you "have it all together?"

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Mimi, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I feel like I am constantly running to catch up and just so overwhelmed sometimes.

I try to stay organized ~ got the calendar on the fridge, the datebook in my purse and to do lists. I still end up forgetting the most basic of things at times. At times I think I might be losing my mind. I can forget something 10 minutes after talking about it. :eek:

I know that the disrupted (and lack of) sleep plays a part but I don't think I can put all the blame on that.

Hints, tips, suggestions?

Or maybe I am losing my mind. :confused:

2. lynn

lynn Approved members

No hints but I can commiserate. I am getting so forgetful that I have to quit speaking mid-sentence because I forget what I am going to say! I do this all the time. All. The. Time.

3. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

I totally have it together...and then I wake up :). I have just resigned to the fact that I will never be caught up on work and my house will never be the cleanest around -- (I'm a stay at home mom and have a little side business that I run out of my house). But my kids are always well fed, my bills are paid on time, I am at every ball game I can possibly make it to and we have fun times as a family. We went go kart racing yesterday and lazer tag today (spring break).

Lists help me - I have daily todo lists and other 'would like todo' list. Some days I get to them and some days I don't. Some days, I get up a little earlier to get things done.

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

:D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

Where is the rolling on the floor laughing smilie?

My sister and I were just discussing this earlier. It seems we can focus on one aspect of our life and keep it together but then everything else seems to fluctuate between :confused: and :eek:

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

All together???? Yeah - just don't look in my closets...

I have nothing together - I am just treading water. As soon as I finish something or clean something or adjust something, three more fires sprout waiting for me to put them out.

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

I think it's all an illusion. Nobody is as good as the face they put out to be seen.

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I keep blaming pre-menopause:rolleyes: Hey, I suppose thats probably it. We parents of CWD have a bit more on our plates then some others with "average" plates do. I cant even fake it these days. I have to write all kinds of notes and reminders on the dry erase board and I still forget things

8. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

No, but I don't think college kids aren't expected to have it all together. I find a weekly/daily to do list to be helpful. I also have a calendar on the wall and a planner. My roommates tell me that I'm crazy. I blame it on nursing school and diabetes.

9. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

:D And I blame post-menopause :rolleyes:!

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

GOSH

I cant even remember to do 1 load of laundry a day, so Iam not doing it all on the weekend.

I get the dishwasher loaded and forget to put the cleaner in to wash it so it sits dirty as the sink fill with dirty dishes.

OFF to turn it on!!!

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

No.;)

You could have your thyroid checked though. Sometimes an underactive thyroid may cause some forgetfullness (no, I'm not an expert, but I think I read that somewhere). But being tired and lack of sleep certainly doesn't help things.

I've become a minimalist.:cool:

12. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

It helps to know I'm not the only one.

Some people must be better at the smoke and mirrors than I am ~ they just seem to be able to do it all and do it all well. :confused:

13. txmom

txmom Approved members

Some may be better at smoke and mirrors but they spinning like the rest of us.

I too feel like I never get everything done - my solution, take things off the plate. I used to be on top of all the house cleaning, laundry always done 100% by Thursday evening etc. etc. Then pretty soon I felt like a hampster on the wheel, churning and churning and not getting anywhere, trying to decide which of the too many things I was going to tackle.

My son was having friends over and I was racing around picking up and hiding the big messes - my son thought I as nuts, he said "Mom, we are guys, we will not notice if things are tidy". What a revelation!!!!!

Now I clean less and don't panic if things aren't always perfect when people come over. I capture the big dust bunnies and leave the rest.

I look at the ability to not have perfectly clean kitchen counters every night as a new skill that I am mastering at lightening speed.

14. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

This is a good question and the short answer is "no" - I don't have it "all" together but I feel much happier when I am being proactive about getting it together. Each day, I try to chip away at things that need to be done - I try not to let a day go past, no matter how busy or overwhelming, without doing one or two tasks at home that move in a positive direction. Whether it is organizing a closet, running specific errands, or making sure that all bills are paid in one swoop - I try to do a few things each day.

I know when I let a day or two go by without doing this, I feel overwhelmed by how many things are undone.

Similarly, if I am sick, on any given day, it is amazing how my house turns into a disaster zone within hours of me being out of commission. It is during times like that where I realize how much I am doing every day.

Give yourself a pat on the back and know that you are not alone! :)

15. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

You're definitely not the only one!
    My house constantly looks like a tornado went through it, and I have to make lists of all the things I need to get done.

My kids are fed, clean (mostly - I have boys after all ;) ), and happy. That's what is important to me.
    Just after dx, a friend told me that it just didn't matter if the house was messy because I had more important things to deal with now. She said that my true friends wouldn't care about the house, they cared about me.

16. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Heck no :p

Sometimes I feel like THE most disorganized and scatter-brained person I know... my house is "never clean" (it's always in some state of being cleaned), I have too many hobbies and too much stuff that goes along with those. I am *always* forgetting things the kids need to do, even when it's on my calendar.

What I realized a while back though, is that for the most part being "put together" is an act... there may be some subtle differences, eg some people are just better housekeepers, or more organized, but a lot of the little issues are exactly the same... people may prioritize some things differently, and those things may show more outwardly (such as with appearances, how clean their house is, etc) but I guarantee a lot of them run around feeling like they're going crazy with everything too :)

17. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I most certainly do NOT "have it all together". I do find that be having a set morning "chore" schedule and night "chore" schedule - I somehow manage to keep the house clean, don't drown in laundry hell (too often) and manage to get my kids where they need to go with the correct sports uniform and equipment.

Sometimes keeping things in some sort of order requires me to get up an hour earlier or stay up a couple hours later than usual - but in the end it's worth it.

Throw me off my routine and all will be lost though;).

The middle of the days tend to be pure craziness, but if I start the day and end the day right..the basics get done and I can deal with all the craziness much easier.

18. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

I have NOTHING altogether, lol. At my worst I turn to FlyLady, but it only lasts a while. I take on a lot of freelance work and tend to get so wrapped up on it that the 'rest' of my responsibilities get forgotten for a bit, and then I always have to play catchup.

I have my calendar/planner, my plan, my lits of to-do's etc...and when I am using it all it is great, but then other things always take over...I can't stick to it.

Unless I am actually checking my list I too will forget to do some things.

19. monkeyschool

I am great with the washing and folding....I can never get through putting stuff away :-( Same with dishes...I can't ever get them put away.

20. monkeyschool