- advertisement -

Do you have any theories on weight loss after dealing with diabetes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rutgers1, Mar 12, 2012.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

2. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

I would like to read more and see what they suggest. From what I gather, they are saying that you can't simply delete that can of soda each day and hope that you lose a pound of fat once the cumulative would-have-eaten calories totals 3,500.

I just finished perusing the Four Hour Body book again. Although the central premise is that you have to eat well and exercise, he gives a bunch of things you have to do for optimal weight loss. Off the top of my head, they include:
    1) eat the right kinds of food (not all calories are created equal), which he calls his "slow carb diet"
    2) strength train
    3) do the right kid of cardio (short bursts -- all out effort)

But then he goes on to discuss some pretty interesting things, such as the effects of cold on burning fat. He mentions that Michael Phelps eats 12,000 calories a day and says that his workouts alone could not burn that many calories. He says that the extended period of time in the cold water causes his body to burn those extra calories. He connects this to mountain climbers (Mt. Everest) who must devour huge amounts of calories to keep themselves going.

After reading the book, I left with the impression that weight loss can be very complicated (many factors to tinker with), but in the end you have to be willing to work hard and eat right.

3. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

Just thought I'd keep this thread going, even though I might be the only one reading it at this point, lol.

Matt's numbers have been REAL low this week due to the fact that there is a school break and he has been very active. Of course, since I am still working on my own conditioning, looking at his blood sugar numbers this week have encouraged me to think some more about how it would apply to someone trying to lose weight....

Here are some ideas I am playing with...
    1) When Matt exercises daily, his carb-burning engine eventually kicks in and his insulin needs start to drop. It always takes a few days for that engine to kick into full gear, but when it does, I find myself tinkering with the pump to make sure he doesn't go too low. The effect will even last through a few days of relative inactivity before the basal needs start going up again.

2) Activities with bursts of speed tend to get the engine revving more than longer/lighter activities. For example, his blood sugar responds more to 20 minutes of basketball than 4 hours of walking through a theme park.

3) His blood sugar levels will drop significantly after 2 hours of exercise, but they will drop even more - and have a longer period of continuing to drop - if he were to spread those two hours into 4 separate 30 minute blocks spread across the day. On a day when he has gym, lunch recess, and then an after school play period, I know that I will spend my evening worried that he is going to go too low.

This has me thinking about experimenting with the following for my own weight loss:
    1) I need to be more consistent --- less rest days. Even when I rest, I want to find a way to get the heart rate up for at least a few minutes.
    2) I want to experiment with shorter, more intense sessions. This is in line with Crossfit methodology.
    3) If time permits, I would like to model my exercise patterns after my son -- more frequent exercise periods, with each lasting a shorter time period. For example, a few minutes of jump-roping in the morning, with a longer workout (rowing or running) in the evening.

What I just wrote above makes a lot of sense to me, but there is one snag. In the past, I have tended to see the most weight loss when my miles have crept up (running). I can run 3-4 miles a day without ever seeing much of a change. However, if I inject a long run each week, I start to see change. As that "long" run creeps up past 8 or 9 miles, I always seem to flip the switch of the fat burning engine.

I guess I am wondering if the same results can be had with just one long workout each week and the rest being short-but-intense. That's my plan.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm sorta sorry for dragging you back into this thread as it seems you bowed out but I can't help but commenting on your simple wisdom.

You are right it's that simple. No one has the metabolism that adds mass when you don't eat or eat very little. There's no magic syndrome that makes weight from nothing. It's very simple math - all calories greater than that which is needed is stored as mass in one form or another. If you're adding mass then you're eating too much with respect to your energy usage. Simple.

I am overweight and I agree with the above. I don't eat a lot. Drink? errrrr.

Math is different than everyday living, unfortunately.

Dr. Oz is the devil.

$0.02