- advertisement -

Do you have any theories on weight loss after dealing with diabetes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rutgers1, Mar 12, 2012.

1. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

OK, that might sound like a stupid question, but I am serious. After watching my son's insulin needs change over the past few years (often by the day) depending on his level of activity, I am starting to wonder what this all means for someone without diabetes who is trying to lose weight.

With Matt, his insulin needs are lowest during football season, even though that isn't necessarily the season when he is the most active. I would figure that summer would be his most active time since he is swimming on most days and generally active with friends (aside from those marathon times when he is playing video games at the end of the day, lol).

I find he burns the most carbs when...
    1) he does stop/start sports like football, particularly when he is sweating a lot (which he does due to tall that equipment)
    2) he is active multiple times per day

No matter how short the periods, if he builds up a sweat 3 times in a day, we will have to be running a temp basal and feeding him carbs all night.

It seems as though, given the same intensity of each minute spent exercising, he would burn more carbs by exercising 2 times a day for 30 minutes each than 1 time for an hour. In fact, 2 play periods of 30 minutes seems to have a greater impact than 1 play period of 2 hours. A light, but steady day of exercise (such as walking around Disney all day) doesn't seem to have the effect on his insulin needs than I thought it would have.

Of course, I have started wondering how this would apply to an adult trying to lose weight. I am thinking that one or two short periods of vigorous exercise might be better than 1 longer period of light/average cardio (walking, jogging, elliptical).

Thoughts?

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

For someone without diabetes trying to lose weight, it's very simple. Some combination of less calories going in and more calories being burned through exercise is required.

Easy places to start are reducing or eliminating soda pop, junk food and sweets from the diet and making sure there's at least 30 minutes of exercise daily.

3. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Read up on "High Intensity Interval Training". It's all the rage. We still have to eat right, unfortunately.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes from what I understand, it is harder for someone that is on insulin to lose weight. Insulin is not only a vehicle for glucose to get into cells but also a "storage" signal. SO people on insulin will more easily "store" excess glucose.

I read a study a long time ago, before exercise and adreniline made any sence for my dd, but that it did matter the type of exercise, sadly I don't recall right now.

I will try to find it. Is your kiddo in need of wheight loss? or is your mind turning as you try to connect the dots?

5. rutgers1

My initial question had nothing to do with my child losing weight. It was just a result of me thinking about what I have learned about his body and seeing if I could apply that to myself (I could use to lose a few!).

I always read these articles about when to exercise, how long to exercise, how often to exercise, etc, and my thought was, "maybe a diabetic person could shed some light on the effect of exercising on the body." From my observations, I have a pretty good sense of the type of activity that seems to lower his blood sugar the most.

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Wilf, I'm disappointed. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've disagreed with your post. This is one of them. I only wish this statement was true.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I agree with Wilf, but I would add watching other foods and whether they have added HFCS. It blows my mind that the standard applesauce cup has additional sweetener added, enough that my daughter would require almost an additional unit of insulin for a small cup. Just because our bodies aren't having to have injected insulin doesn't mean that we don't have to produce it. Those choices do affect, especially as another poster pointed out that insulin also contributes to stored fat.

I would also add that exercising right after meals would probably benefit non-Ds as well, as they would also need less insulin to cover their meal just like a D does.

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Eliminate diet products too, the aspartame and splenda inhibit weight loss

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

You can buy "unsweetened " fruit deserts, or make them yourself, you don't need sugar or sweetners in fruit.

10. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Sorry, perhaps I was too brief. I think the science behind High Intensity Interval Training is exactly what you were referring to. It seems to me that they could have saved themselves a lot of work if they just studied Type 1's.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fi...rcise-is-better.aspx?e_cid=20120309_FNL_art_1

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We do.;) I was just using it for an example that the difference between the unsweetened applesauce and the sweetened cup is 8g of unnecessary carbs. Most stores have far more sweetened than non, and then we wonder why America is having an explosion of Type 2 in children? Applesauce is only the tip of the iceburg, too.

12. lynn

lynn Approved members

I just have to say I am finding this fascinating. I have noticed that the slower, longer lasting exercise is best treated (to protect against lows) by periodic drinks of sugary soda. If we try to do the same with vigorous exercise we tend to end up with highs.

I'm happy to be reading this in the beginning of the nice weather. I will pay attention now. Isn't it interesting what we can learn about how the body works by observing our kids' insulin needs?

13. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

I have to say I agree with Michelle'sMom---- losing weight is NOT "very simple". Although calories in vs. calories out certainly plays an important role, for many people weight loss is much more complicated than that. Genetics, hormone levels, and medical conditions/issues all play a BIG part as well.

Christine

14. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

AMEN! I've been trying to lose weight for over a month and d makes it SO MUCH MORE COMPLICATED! even if I eat healthy and all, I still have to eat sugar for lows...ect

15. rutgers1

Are those highs followed by lows later, though? When Matt runs a 5K, which he basically sprints, he finishes in only 25 minutes. During that time, he can't sip a drip like he does during lacrosse or basketball. He usually gets an adrenaline high, which is followed by a major low at some point later in the day.

I am trying to think about how he reacts to exercise/food when planning my exercise program. I don't have enough information yet to really make any solid conclusions, but I am definitely going to tinker with my half marathon plan over the next few weeks. Rather than just log miles and miles, I am also mixing in shorter/high intensity workouts.

16. lynn

lynn Approved members

Yes, the highs are generally followed by lows. That, and we don't correct the highs until they drop significantly on their own after an hour or two.

17. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

As a fitness instructor, and a High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) coach, I agree with the previous posts about checking out that form of fitness. It is highly effective and the major basis of such fitness crazes as P90X and Insanity. High intensity exercise with short bouts of rest at timed intervals fire up anabolic energy system and gives great cargo, strength and endurance fitness.

18. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

...edited...double post. Oops

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  19. wilf

wilf Approved members

Folks, it really IS that simple. If you are burning more calories than you're consuming on a daily basis, then you will lose weight.

There may be a brief interval (if you're doing unaccustomed exercise) where you gain weight as you add some muscle mass - but that is temporary. After that the laws of physics take over.

There are of course a few medical conditions that can cause exceptions, but these do not apply to the vast majority of the people who want to lose weight and aren't.

20. SarahM

SarahM New Member

I have to agree with this 100%. I remember reading about how some American settlers went through some hardships and went without food for an extended period of time, and the women were the only ones to survive the ordeal mainly because their bodies metabolized slower than the males. Simple life fact. And each individual person's metabolic system works differently so saying take in less calories than you burn to lose weight, isn't very simple at all when it's hard to know how many you're actually burning. It's why many people with a few pounds to lose have a hard time and really struggle.

Not to mention people with an extreme amount to lose also have their brain chemicals effected and feeding them false information and people need to consider that and hormones and other causes for their weight gain/loss problems. It isn't about self control or will power. If it was, very very few people would have weight issues because nobody wants to be fat!