- advertisement -

Do you fully trust your pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I trust that the pump is more accurate with insulin delivery than when we were on injections. With injections, I would use a magnifying glass sometimes to reduce a dose to a .25 unit, only to see a bubble of insulin leak out of the injection site. We determine whether the pump will administer a dual or square wave or regular bolus and if that bolus makes sense with activity, illness, bedtime, etc.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Hmm, I always thought that the flying and the altitude changes had to do with the speed in which they changed, not the altitude itself. Flying you are traveling and climbing rapidly, driving a car not so much. The quick changes causes pressure. If you are living at 9000 ft, are you really traveling that far to make a difference in the pump? I mean, if you are consistently at 9,000 ft or there abouts you are pretty constant. Our elevation is about 1300 ft, but going into 'town', depending on the area, could be 1,000ft difference. We see no difference. While Kaylee was riding a ride at an amusement park we had her disconnect, from the force of the ride it DID push insulin out of the end.. this is why you don't wear it on a rollercoaster... I never did think to disconnect her while flying. We didn't see a problem,( not something I remember anyway...) but I assume if you climb fast enough, you may see a change. However, I don't see how you could see a change if you are LIVING at a higher elevation, and constantly at that elevation, or there abouts. It pressure is costant, not changing rapidly and with a lot of force, unless you are a crazy driver and take the short way down the mountain.:D

3. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Darn, you saw me!
    I think it might be the altitude itself, not the speed of change, because the deal is the air bubbles expanding and contracting and pushing or "pulling" insulin in the tubing/cannula.
    We maybe travel up and down in 1000 feet increments in the course of a day. The most we'd do is maybe once a week go down and up 3000 feet. It's enough to bother my other kid who has problems with the pressure, but I am inclined to think it's not enough to have shown itself in what we saw, which was not an occasional thing and didn't seem travel related. I totally agree that just living at high altitudes would not do it, it has to be the change.
    I also think we're talking airline altitudes here, not just high terrain.

Remember, though, we're talking .075 units per hour delivery of basal, so a problem might be a problem for us when it wouldn't even cross the radar of someone taking, say, 3 units or 15 units of basal an hour. :p

Just an additional thought -- we can get ears popping going up or down the hill, so if it can affect your inner ear, would it maybe be enough to affect bubbles in the tubing? Who knows.

4. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

In the beginning, I trusted the pump completely, just as I did our endo after dx, and always did what it "said." But, just as I stopped asking our endo constant questions and started acting on my own, I do now override the pump suggestions as I see fit. Especially for his before bed snack, I use the meter/remote recommendation as a guide and then factor in his BG, what he is eating, his activity level, etc...and I tweak that number all the time. Overnight, I hardly ever give full corrections...that almost always leads to lows later on. For regular meals, I generally bolus as the meter recommends.

5. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I trust the pump as much as I do a syringe. The thing that keeps us utilizing the pump is that my son's activity level changes drastically throughout the day, there hasn't been another viable option for him like there is the pump where his basals can go from 0.025 to 0.3 within a 24hr range or even better, 0 when he's really low from being such a silly monkey!
    I also think that for us the pump has allowed me to trust others with my son, I know when I write down what my sister/mother/MIL is supposed to dose him for that the pump will be able to deliver that small amt, with a syringe I'd be much more nervous.
    It isn't perfect, but for now it is our best option :)