- advertisement -

Do you feel like this?

Discussion in 'Siblings and Friends' started by Weezay, Jun 26, 2008.

?

Do you ever feel like people don't except you cause you have diabetes?

1. Yes :(

28.2%
  2. No :)

23.1%
  3. Sometimes :0

35.9%
  4. I have never noticed! :p

12.8%
  1. Weezay

Weezay Approved members

Do you ever feel like sometimes your so called "friends" don't except you cause you have diabetes. I'm just curious. Some of my classmates in my high school are scared to be around me cause I have diabetes. They are scared there going to catch. They are so immature. Does anyone else have this issue?

Treysmom likes this.
  2. sarah[:

sarah[: Approved members

YES! people are so judgemental. i don't think it's because they think they'll catch it or anything, but just because they probably think it's not 'cool' or whatever. remember, if they're really your friend, they'll accept you even if your pancreas doesn't work. [;

3. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I on the other hand have not had much of a true experiance like this yet. My school is very small and in till this point have not had a problem. However my friends do not understand that if I am a monster/cranky at some point that it may be because of the D...They don't understand the emotional content or the technical content often I just feel fusterated with them not excluded

4. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

sometimes because my best friend will make remarks like "oh you can't eat that you'll slip into a diabetic coma" uh what? like i don't know what i can and cannnot eat? hello i'm not a moron and i've been doing this long enough....sometimes comments like that just make me really mad

5. happy:)

happy:) Approved members

one time this guy on my bus started making fun of my little sister for having diabetes.:mad:

I WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOO MAD!!!!:mad:
    to be honest i forgot what i replied cuz i was sooooooooooo freakin' mad :mad: @ him. but i do know i wanted to rip his head off and feed him to a great white shark!!!!
    too bad i dont live near an ocean;)

6. Blairbear

Blairbear Approved members

I don't have d but my brother does and I don't really see it but me and my mom do get mad when the cousin in the family or adults tell us he cant have that and we try to explain they just don't really understand :rolleyes:

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Not often, but some people freak over needles.

8. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

I've never really noticed. All of the people I hang out with don't care.

9. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

it was worse when i was younger. my close friends all accept it, some of them i knew before diabetes, too. they all deal with it in different ways, thought. one has pretty much learned with me, which helped at first. another one just ignores it. he hasn't asked about it and we don't talk about it. it sounds awful, but it's great. it's like i don't have it around him. but after being around each other for two years, he's figured some things out for himself. like one time he offered me some gum during church and i was looking at the package trying to find the flavor. he flipped it over to the carb count, which i thought was really sweet(don't tell him;)!). my other friends are some where in between. they're all cool about it Thu, it's never been a problem with my 'real' friends. but some little kids are nasty(10-11 year olds):mad:. one little boy at a work shop said he wanted diabetes because i got my snack 15 minutes before everybody else. boy, did i let into him.....................:D

10. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I've lost quite a few friends because of diabetes...right after I was diagnosed, a lot of them kinda just left me. :( It was a really hard time for me. :( But I made it through, and I have my best friend in the whole wide world Lizz!! She also has typ1, but we get eachother so well!!! I don't know what I'd do without her! :)

11. BobbyJackElmo

BobbyJackElmo Approved members

Yupp and I hate how the adults try to sound smarter by telling you what you can and cant have when you know. Well, I'm used to it.

12. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

Or when kids/teens do. :rolleyes:

13. BobbyJackElmo

BobbyJackElmo Approved members

Yeah it's pointless for them to say anything because they arent the ones that have to go through it every day. I met this one lady at my school that has Diabetes and tried telling me I couldnt eat something, ter I bolused for it. Lets just say I rarely listen to adults. :D

14. dana.amp

dana.amp Approved members

My 5th and 6th math teacher lost her husband due to diabetes. and for 2 yrs she thought she new everything about my diabetes. she made me check my bloodsugar every 2 hrs at school and she managed my shots. she was a patient of my mothers. and my mother told her to keep track of me at school. i hated it and i really disliked that teacher and still do now ;:)mad:

15. KaTyE

KaTyE Approved members

i dont have it. my sister katerina does

no one really cares that shes got it they just help like there all our family:)

16. Rachel Erin

Rachel Erin Approved members

in elementary that was a major issue. kids were scared i was 'contagious.'
    sometimes my mother treats me like a baby still. it gets old.

17. Rayuzaki

Rayuzaki Approved members

ive nevr been not accepted because i hav diabetes, all my frends just ask questions about the pump and if it hurts when i poke my finger, but besides that, we just joke around as if i had 3/3 of a pancreas instead of 2/3 (meaning that the pancreas prduces a total of 3 things, insulin is one, dont remember the other two, they help with digestion tho)

18. Rukio

Rukio Banned

I was in a group called "S.t.a.r.s." at church and seriously? I went to the bathroom to take insulin and all of the sudden there was like, 30 people staring at me, and that was the only reason they were there.
    I much prefer the other church I went to. Nobody cares xD I like my friends when I volunteer with an animal shelter 'cause they might stare when I inject, but they don't make that sucking noise with their mouth or wince or say anything.
    So yeah.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  19. x1rebelx

x1rebelx Approved members

Lol I guess I have never really not been Unaccepted because of my disease. Even-so, my best friend knows almost as much as I do. He'll buy candy and stuff n he knows I can eat it as long as I bolus for it and he continues to make the joke with Mike N Ikes "That's a bag of diabetic suicide, I think you could win that case!" lol.

But yeah there are alot of ignorant people, but you can't let them get to you. Theres always people to accept you :D

20. NHL-go-pens

NHL-go-pens Approved members

Yeah. I lot of people won't talk to me because I'm uncool because I have diabetes. I have on crazy friend that I love because shell talk to me and hang around me anyway