- advertisement -

Do you ever not check at night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chelsedin, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

After 5 yrs last May I started to miss a few nights and my son (9) ended up having a seizure. Never missed a night since. It irks me when the endo and nurse say you check every night?? If only they truly understood what diabetic parents go through.

My son's diabetes is extremely difficult to manage however and has been from the start - and yes I know most of your kids are too. Mine is super-sensitive to the very slightest insulin changes, exercise, etc. I know of some kids who are fairly consistent with their numbers and their parents don't check. I only wish it were possible for me.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I am a rare one here who does not check much at night. Only once most nights before I go to bed which is two or three hours after Lia.

I have my reasons but I know most disagree. We all do what works for us. I am lucky to have a child who is a light sleeper by nature and is very good at feeling lows most of the time. Of course the light sleeper is also part of the problem with checking at night for us. Anyway, it's a YDMV (your diabetes may vary) situation.

3. Liongirl4

Liongirl4 Approved members

My daughter is home for college break and I have been checking her some nights..if I know she corrected before bed, or had a high fat dinner, I check. I don't set a clock..I just wake up.
    She did finally convince me I don't need the baby monitor on anymore!!

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I'm sorry, maybe it's PMS but I am having a really hard time not feeling offended by your post.:(

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Every person with Type 1 is difficult to manage. Some people don't get ketones easy, some people do; some people can eat fat, some people can't; etc, etc, etc...

There is not one person here who thinks their child is not difficult to manage.

6. Mom2Boys

Mom2Boys Approved members

We still check at least once a night depending on what time we go to sleep. We've definitely caught lows that were seemingly out of the blue.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

If not running the CGMs, I check at least once at night.
    I am so used to waking up now I really don't have to set an alarm.
    I am thinking maybe in 10 years I can stop.;)

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

What does she do when she is at college? Does she check herself at night?

9. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

WOW!!! I DID NOT mean to offend. Have you not heard of the old term brittle diabetics??? Some diabetics truly are super hard to get under control hence a little higher A1C's. Why does that offend you?? Not every diabetic is the same. My friend - who I was comparing to not slighting any of you - has a child who has ALWAYS had A1C's that are between 5.3 - 6.5. Never checks at night. Never goes high and never a severe low. This has gone on for 8 yrs. Compared to that most have difficult diabetes. And yes some even have more difficult than average but I guess that isn't allowed to be said here. If anyone knows how hard it is to manage I am assuming it is all of you with me.

My son with AiC's of 8.0, has just been diagnosed with diabetic nephropathy. It is supposedly not my fault however since I have such a DIFFICULT time keeping it at that level I am blaming myself. He is up super high one hour and bottomed out a few hours later. This is how it has been since day ONE. 6 years now and he has NEVER levelled out for more than a couple days at a time. He reacts to even the tiniest changes in dosages and it has been that way always. Other parents I know - and I know a lot - do not have the same struggle with their diabetic children.

This was MY response to this post and it is about MY child. Why you are offended about MY situation is ridiculous. It in no way negates that we all are sharing the same emotions and difficulties living with diabetes.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Or undetected highs, which can be just as bad.

Since Danielle was dx I have checked every night, multiple times a night. Sure I am tired during the day, but to me it is a small price to pay so that I can catch and treat lows/highs.

For what it's worth, I was not offended by your post. I am not sure why Heather was. But I would not let something like one person being offended by something I said make me leave the forum.

Just my two cents.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I agree with this. I wasnt offended by your post either. Im sorry your child had a seizure :( I can well imagine the terror you felt after that.

During Steven's honeymoon, long before I found CWD, I had only one other person to talk to about having a CWD. My best friends daughter was dxd 2 years before Steven was. She has always told me the struggle she has keeping her daughter in range and was upset that her A1Cs were always 7.5-8.5, no matter what she did. Her daughter has been pumping since she was 3, all to no avail. Well, at the time Steven was honeymooning and his blood sugars were usually in range. His A1Cs were usually 5.8-6.5 and I would think somewhat smuggly, that I was just queen sh** of this diabetes stuff. The first time Steven's A1C hit 7.6 I didnt feel very smug anymore nor the queen of anything either. Took me down a peg or 2. Which is where I can be found these days.

More then anything I wish that a cure could be found so none of us would have to deal with this stupid, unpredictable disease anymore:(

12. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

When Morgan was first diagnosed we had the rule "over 100" meant we didn't have to check at night as long as she wasn't sick, hadn't had an abnormal amount of exercise, hadn't eaten, taken insulin, or woken up high or low that morning. So.....we slept through the night 3-4 nights a week on average for about 5 years. Then she got the pump, and had such good numbers, we only checked when we did basal changes, or one of the above rules was "broken". Then Zoe got D, and we began checking several times a night. Then we got CGM's for both girls, and now I KNOW we were missing highs and lows. I was so blown away by what happened while my girls were sleeping (starting the night with good numbers and either going high or low then recovering by morning to a 'decent' number). Now the overnights are their BEST times of the day because I tweak basals to adjust. I still get up and check thought because it's so much easier with dex....just push a button and I can see the last few hours, and the current number. It's AWESOME!
    Also...I have to say that puberty threw us all for a loop...I know some have an easy time, but not my girls!

13. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

I check every night, around 2 am, or depending on bedtime and when last fast acting insulin was administered. There was a time I didnt check, he woke up on his own, at 46...:eek:

14. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

After diagnosis and for many months after we rarely checked in the middle of the night b/c that's what we were told by the endo and aren't we supposed to listen to the docs! ;) well after reading threads from here, I started checking at least once, but usually twice. Now that we have the cgm I check that several times a night. If I dont like what I see on the cgm, I check her bg. We've had several times where I checked recently and dd had a low like in the 50's for no reason.

15. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

I am just appologizing for my little outburst. I am still in shock, completely saddened and terrifed all at once about our recent kidney disease diagnosis and everything upsets me. :(

And no - I will never again take a break from checking his BG at night - 2:30 am.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  16. Lee

Lee Approved members

Seriously - I did not say you offended me...all I said was that every child here is considered brittle and experiences the same things you just said. I am truly confused by why you decided to pick MY post to quote?

17. Lee

Lee Approved members

Sorry - just saw this. For what it is worth, Coco had urinary tract reflux as a baby and seriously damaged one of her kidneys - she almost lost it - this was all before D and I remember the agony well. And as a mom whose daughter HAS experienced multiple seizures, I in no way meant to upset you.

18. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

I am so sorry - I was so hurt and upset that I quoted the wrong person and didn't even realize it. You did nothing. It was Heather I offended and I am glad to see not everyone took it the wrong way. However Heather is PMsing and so am I which makes for a crazy combo to begin with :)

19. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I'm sorry you have a new dx'd:(

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yes- Heather and PMS ;)

But Heather has the benefit of the doubt of knowing that we love her :D