- advertisement -

Do you ever "get over" doing CGM, set, regular shots?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zell828, Dec 7, 2009.

1. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Normally my SD doesn't cry and she's good. We have never had to use numbing creams. For the CGM we use ice and that works well. But yesterday the first time in long while when putting the CGM sensor in she cried. :( I didn't even get any blood this time either (normally I don't get much if I do, but other times I don't get any too) but I felt so bad. I just hugged her and said I was sorry she had to do this. I just hate it when this happens. The things we have to endure with this disease as parents for our kids is heart breaking :(

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I think my daughter has gotten over the emotional aspect, for the most part. But if it hurts, it hurts. There can be physical pain without the emotional pain.

3. zell828

zell828 Approved members

She was okay within a few minutes, but I think it lingered in me longer :eek:

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Oh yeah, as a parent I don't know if I'll ever "get over" any of it. When her pod insertion hurts, I just apologize for that. "Sorry that hurt" rather than "I'm so sorry about all of this" (or something like that). I think it helps both of us when I try to keep diabetes in general in the background. It's hard to do when you're performing a diabetes-related task.

5. meg9901

meg9901 Approved members

It's just such a hard thing to HAVE to keep up with.

Whether it's shots or infusion sets or CGMS, it's never easy. DD understands perfectly well... intellectually... what is needed to keep her healthy. But come site change time, it's like a alter-ego comes out that wants to resist and avoid. She can even tell me that it's never as bad as she thinks, but that doesn't change the challenge of the situation.

It just reminds me to keep life filled with plenty of other good, meaningful and delightful things in order to balance out these unpleasant necessities.:cool:

6. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I have to tell you, the CGM insertions were VERY hard for Ava and me.

She's always such a trouper, she never complained about shots and only a mild squeek with set insertions, but the CGM insertion would bring a scream and we'd both be a mess.

Get the EMLA, we call it the magic medicine. It's amazing. Ava feels absolutely nothing. It makes me calmer, so I do a better job of inserting (and have fewer failed sensors.)

Seriously, without the EMLA we probably would have given up the cgm, but now insertion is one of the easiest things we do.

Give it a try and see if it helps.
    (P.S., we still don't use it for set changes, so I was surprised at how much of a difference it made)

7. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I'm an adult and I've thought about trying to get script for EMLA for CGMS insertions. I've had some hurt quite a bit. It's definitely startling every time.

8. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Is Emla by prescription only?

9. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

No - even 20.5 yrs later. That's why I continue to push for a cure.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee doesn't fuss about regular sites, especially since we switched to insets, she says she can barely feel them.. When we started pumping we used emla.. I figured she deals with so much if I can take the pain away from doing a insert, then I will.. she asked to stop using the emla because it was 'taking to long', her words, not mine.. Sensors, we still use numbing cream and I'll continue to use it until she asks to stop.. thats a huge honkin scary needle.. I wouldn't want that coming at me without some numbing effect going on. ;)

11. Andrews mom

Andrews mom Approved members

We use numbing cream and he still hate the cgm site- I dont use numbing cream on his pump sites but I use to. We've had D for almost 9 years and no, it hasnt gotten easier for us when it comes to sites.

12. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I still hit nerves once in awhile especially with thigh and bum shots. Steven will tell me that it hurt and I feel bad and apologise and promise to try harder next time. What a stupid disease that makes you hurt your child:mad:

13. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Get the EMLA - it is so worth it especially for cgms. It made a huge difference for us. I will continue to use it until they come out with smaller sensors or he asks not to use it - which I really doubt that will happen.

It doesn't get any easier and you hate it when you hit a bad spot...

14. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

Nope. I apologize at every site change and every Dexy insertion. I tell him Im sorry, but I gotta do what I gotta do. :( I think he gets it, but it still hurts, Im sure. :eek:

15. Toni

Toni Banned

We have recently been told DN has a high pain tolerance (observed by surgeons after spinal surgery). She does not use EMLA for Dexcom and does not even flinch when inserting it. She did feel MM sensor so I would use EMLA for the Minimed sensor. Not sure about the Navi. If, at any time, I observed her crying while inserting Dexcom, I would be using the numbing cream. It really is unnecessary for them to have to feel any pain during these procedures. It is not a sign of weakness to use EMLA or LMX.

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Big EMLA fans here. Jack is very needle-phobic, and with the EMLA, he doesn't mind sensor or site changes at all.

17. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

EMLA all the way here - Jayden put a sensor in me and OUCH. It hurts for a few minutes, too, not just on insertion. No thanks!

18. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I HATE needles of any kind, but for me the Emla is a pain to have to wait so long, and another hour out of my day for D, forget it! At least even if I jump or yell when the infusion set goes in, it's quick. I actually find the CGMS less painful then the infusion set, but only wear that infrequently!