- advertisement -

Do you ever feel like because of diabetes...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), Oct 7, 2011.

1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Caspi, maybe because a couple of people we questioning it/my simple question, and maybe her need to do this is for the same reason you feel the need to back up mom to Jess?

Anyway, the cup thing is a very good annalogy. I feel like for me, dealing with Type 1 and all things related (My X) has made my tollerance for outside stressful situations much smaller than it used to be. My dad just had a pacemaker put in, he has had 8 surgeries in the last year. I am having a hard time and I feel like my cup has runnith over. I can't watch the news, I used to have more room in my cup. I was just wondering if other felt the same way. I honestly don't feel it's my job to make everyone understand my post, obviously a lot did. So if you don't get it, why not just ignore it?

At least Jakes growth hormone shots are over and his partial adrenal insufficency went away, that almost never happens. It felt like a miracle :cwds:

Thanks for your responses everyone, I appriciate the support :)

2. Heather(CA)

Yep, this came up because of my dad having health issues. I hope your mom is OK:(

3. Heather(CA)

Yep, very well said!:cwds:

4. Heather(CA)

That's exactly what I was wondering, if others could relate to having less of an outside stress tollerance...:cwds:

Like a couple people have said, it's not exactly the D that's always stressing me out, but it takes up room in my cup so that I have a hard time dealing with other stressers. Could be Peri-menopause too who knows lol

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

Many of us have those "my cup runeth over" days, weeks, months, years. Truly I am sorry life is so full for you right now. If you can sleep 15 minutes more each day, walk for 10 minutes outside each day or take the stairs at work, listen to some music for 15 minutes, then maybe even if "life" really does not get way better at least your ability to cope will be better. :cwds:Ali

6. Heather(CA)

Thanks Ali, I dragged myself out for a walk yesterday...About 3 miles. It did help:cwds: I keep waking up in the middle of the night unable to go back to sleep, I'm sure that's not helping :(

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

You mentioned perimenopause in another reply, and the insomnia was BAD for me at one point, I now use a topical (but OTC) progesterone creme and the insomnia is GONE. I use one by emerita (you can buy at HFS, their website, or I get mine from amazon) but any brand will do I imagine. Just something to throw into the mix. Insomnia is tough.

8. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Heather - I am sorry that you have a difficult time in your life. I hope things get better for you.

I will say no to your original post, although I didn't take it as a poll type of question.
    When I have challenges in my life, I don't feel I can't handle that stress "because of diabetes", if they are stressing me out I am stressed because of that challenge.

While diabetes is a challenge in our life, it' s not the only challenge. I really try to handle all challenges in life with the tools available. I do have to step back and sometimes search for what I need to handle whatever is given to me. Sometimes there are no easy solutions or tools to help. It's those time that I am glad for places of support, like CWD..:cwds:

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

MomtoJess was speaking for herself, I was simply agreeing with her. You hadn't said anything since the original post, which is why I found it a bit odd that she was speaking for you.

In any event, I'm happy you're feeling better! :)

10. Heather(CA)

Here you go, this is where it started, and thanks.

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I wasn't going to comment but since I seem to be the "problem" here I guess I should.

I find it fascinating that my post is seen as "questioning" the OP. I simply said it seemed like a no brainer, diabetes=stress. I also made it very clear that if the thread was just a vent thread, then that was great, vent away.

It seems that some people here have a problem with people having a different viewpoint, or expressing themselves with thoughts or questions. It has even been suggested that if you don't agree with a thread then don't post and just move on. This is an open forum and everyone has a right to speak their mind. I personally find it interesting to read all of the different opinions people have. If we all just agreed with each other, never questioned things or presented different views, I think this forum would not be as interesting or as informative as it is.

Just a thought. :cwds:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  12. Heather(CA)

I'm sorry, was that not a question? Oh, and can you please quote me and show me where I have a problem with anyone's differing opinion? Also, in my OP I asked a question, I didn't state an opinion so anyone responding is simply answering my question. I have zero problem with any of the answers. I'm truly sorry if you didn't understand the question, maybe that's why you attacked it instead of answering it. Oh well...

Thanks for your permission to be able to vent btw, I really appreciate your support while my dad is having such a hard time health wise. Thanks again Christopher, I can always count on you.

13. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

I usually try to read every post in response to a thread before answering. If I cannot do that, I try to read a few to get an understanding of where the post goes so that I can contribute properly. In this case, it is late (or early, if you will) so I didn't do that. I simply think that you are right on target Heather, with this statement and I can relate perfectly well to what you have said - indeed! I feel like we have all been given enough to worry about, we don't need anything else and yet, we get more, and more and more.

Thank you for putting into words what I have been thinking for a very long time. It is reassuring to know that you (and others) feel this way too. Now I am off to read the many responses!

14. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Heather, I am praying for your Dad:( I am so sorry that he is having these health issues right now.

And you know what? The diabetes does compound things at least for me it does. A case in point. My husband and I both have colds right now. Steven woke up this morning with a bad cold and high blood sugars. Well if he didnt have diabetes I wouldnt be up at night testing blood sugars and maybe would be over this cold by now instead of still feeling like crap a month later and Im almost 100% sure that Steven's cold wouldnt kick his butt like it is if he didnt have diabetes. For me, right now, its not other stressers. Its the diabetes that makes it seem like I cant really handle one more thing.

I honestly didnt see anything in this thread that said that you, Heather, had an issue with anyone elses comments or answers. You are always the one to take whatever anyone has to say and either use it for your benefit or just ignore it as it doesnt pertain to you. The same way you give advice and answer questions. If people dont want to use your advice then they are free to just thank you and ignore it. I thank you for a thread where we can just feel free to unload some stress and share with others who understand:cwds:

15. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Let's be honest here, you don't know me or even like me. In fact, you can't stand me. So we both know my support means nothing to you, so why try and guilt me out about it? At this point, you should probably PM if you have anything else to say, don't you think? Or better yet, just put me on ignore, because you are not going to like anything I say. Why add to your stress? Sounds like you have a lot going on, hopefully things will get better.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  16. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

To answer your original question:

The quote about not being given more you can handle comes to mind some days and I think I'm being given credit for a lot more than necessary. If I have enough sleep I can generally deal with things better. If there have been a lot of lows or highs and I'm sleep-deprived I tend to get very weepy.