- advertisement -

Do you ever feel like because of diabetes...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), Oct 7, 2011.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Oddly enough, it is often because of other things besides diabetes, that I feel my cup will runeth over.:rolleyes: I guess I'm just so used to the day in/day out of D stuff that it's become pretty automatic.

However, when my kid with D gets ill with something bigger than a cold, then I usually do the "Oh, now what?" vent.

2. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

The lack of sleep from testing overnight is definitely affecting my ability to handle stress. I think the lack of tolerance for other stress is a good thing, however. I have finally stood up to people (my mother, family, ex-husband, etc) who have been sucking me dry forever. For all us middle-aged women, menopause or peri-menopause (which starts 10 years earlier) plays its part in this, also.
    Exercise, nutrition, having some fun and especially prayer or meditation help a lot.
    I don't spend a lot of time hating diabetes or wishing my DD did not have it. As I have stated many times before, it has brought amazing people and opportunities into her life and has not stopped her from being an awesome kid. Dealing with her teenage "attitude" toward diabetes is my greatest challenge, but also a very good life lesson for me.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

I couldn't agree more ~ well said! :cwds:

4. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Mostly on nights like last night, Every time I tested my son he was low. I would treat, then test his bg would go up, then test again to find everything lower again. After 1.5 hours I was frustrated and tired. But today is a new day and numbers are better again. I also really hate sick days, those stress me.

5. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Diabetes has shown me that I have more patience, compassion and flexibility than I thought I was capable of having. I am sad that my beautiful child has diabetes, but it is part of who she is and why she is the person she is. She is not one of the silly, drama-queen types who are her peers at school. Instead, she is generous, empathatic, more aware of the greater community and of her own health. Before diabetes, I stressed about other things that used to seem so important. I was forced to change my priorities. I am a very different person than who I was before Ab was diagnosed.

6. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

98% of the time diabetes is just a part of our lives and regular routine...

Diabetes makes regular challenges such as illness a little bit more work, and causes more stress, but illness in my non-d child are stressful too.

I am finding myself more occupied and stressed out with the non-diabetes aspect and issues of raising an almost teenager.

7. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Yep... I do Heather.

For the ones who say we cant blame D because if it wasn't for D it would be something else. Well Duh LOL there are reasons we get stressed. They are called triggers if you were to talk to a doctor they would ask "is there anything in your life causing you stress" and a person would answer "yes, this, that, or the other" (what ever it is for that individual) they would suggest to eliminate that stress by changing life style or what it is that is causing the stress. BUT we cant take D away. Im guessing the OP "intent" of this post was wondering if any of us can relate to her stress, and as I see many of us can.

8. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I don't stress over the Diabetes - other crap, yes. seems like there is more garbage piled on every day!

9. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I think my issue is that diabetes keeps my cup half full of stress all the time...I walk around at the 50% mark. Add anything else to my cup and it runs over much faster than it used to when diabetes wasn't in there too!

10. MamaTuTu

Of course Im not implying that diabetes is the only stress trigger that cant be eliminated. There are millions of situations for millions of people who are stressed and living with stress that cant be changed.
    The OP wrote "Do you ever feel like because of diabetes...You just can't take any more stress?" That's all. I was trying to be there for the OP. Sorry about all the stresses in your life too (((HUGS))) I hope that things get better for you too :cwds:

11. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Most of my stress comes from J's Autism/ODD/OCD. Throw diabetes into that mix and I truly feel stressed to the max on some days. I don't take on additional responsibilities anymore, I just focus on keeping our family healthy and keeping J as on track as I can keep him, both in relation to his D and all his other issues.

12. MamaTuTu

I mean this in the nicest way possible Im serious Im not trying to be condescending but why do you think she "should have said that" why do so many people on this site get so concerned about what the question is in the original posts? I have read many times here something like this "if that's what she/he was wanting she/he should have clearly stated that" If you don't relate to a post move on.

13. MamaTuTu

If you re-read you will see I said I am assuming (well guessing) Again I hope the stresses in your life get better and will allow you to relax. (((Hugs))) to you again! XO

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

You mentioned condescending in a previous post.... perhaps it's just me, but I find this reply to MomtoJess quite condescending. Or perhaps it's just because I can't stand it when someone tells me to relax, lol. ;)

I find it interesting when people feel the need to speak for the OP. Having known Heather for a few years now, I'm pretty sure she's quite capable of speaking for herself. ;)

15. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

I totally agree, well put! Actually I just said something similar when I had to call my mom to vent to someone, except I feel like my cup is more like 80% full. Im sure that has to do with the fact that we've only been at this D stuff for 3 months and we are still getting everything figured out. But, I think D would be a huge stressor if I just had my CWD and no other big things to worry about. As it is, I am a student, soon to be working also, single mom with my 5 year old CWD and a 2 month old. Yep, doesnt take much to push me over that edge. But then I break down, I cry and I go back to trudging right along. If we just keep putting one foot in front of the other, we'll be okay :)

16. MamaTuTu

NO! I didn't mean it in that way! I know when Im stressed Im uptight and not relaxed. She mentioned that she had many things going on. When I used the word relax I meant it like unwind, take a breath, not how maybe it was read. :) I only asked the question about asking about posts because I was wondering why it mattered and very often here people ask in ways that are not nice I was trying to let her know it was just a question, I didn't ask to start a debate. Im just here to be here for others and to learn.

17. MamaTuTu

Also I didn't see your bottom part, but I was not speaking for the OP. I speak for myself as I am sure others do to and just expressed my opinion on what I thought the OP was asking. :D

18. caspi

caspi Approved members

I guess my question is why you felt the need to do this? As I said before, we have known Heather for a number of years now. I'm not sure why you feel the need to express your opinion on what she was asking... :confused:

19. MamaTuTu

I guess I felt the need because I was wondering. That's why I ask questions. Actually you said "having know Heather for years" but thanks for clarifying that "we" as in you and whoever.

20. MamaTuTu

I have no problem with peoples expressing their opinions but I am allowed to have them too. Anyhow goodnight, I hope you have a great one!