- advertisement -

Do you disconnect with roller coasters? And other vacation questions! :)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by polly, Jan 21, 2013.

1. polly

polly Approved members

We are headed on a disney cruise next month and will spend a few days at the parks after the cruise. This will be the first time for both a cruise and Disney since dx. I spoke with an Animas rep that stated we should disconnect for the "big" coasters (not sure what the qualifications are for that one!) and if possible, leave the pump off of the ride. I have also spoken with several other people who say they never take their pump off for rides. What do you guys do?

Also, I know that Disney does not list nutritional info. In your experience, has it been difficult to get healthy alternatives and guesstimate carbs there? Wondering if I need to pack/buy some extras.

Lastly, what/how much would you pack in your daily bag for the parks?

Thanks for any advice! With a newborn, toddler and kiddo with type 1 I am trying to prepare and pack as efficiently as possible - whew!:D

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

If you would like an experienced cruise and park expert, I just happen to be free to go with you - ha ha!

We've done 2 DCL cruises and we go to WDW every year or more. We tended to let William eat what he wanted (within reason of course) and guessed out at it - both on the cruise and at the parks. The cruise has a lot of food - and it is all free so you really have to pace yourself as an adult or kid!

See this for doing Disney with type 1: http://allears.net/pl/diabetes.htm

The only ride at Disney I don't take the pump on is Mission Space - the spinning version. He has kept it on for the other rides.

3. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

we really have never disconnected for any rides at Disney, (we go 2-3 times a year). I would agree with Mission Space, but our daughter has never been on it as she is only 5 and a little too short. Possibly Rocking Rollercoaster too, or tower of terror as you get a lot of sudden drops on those.

Food is a best guess as Disney has little to no carb info at all, however most chefs at the sit down restaurants can at least give you the portion size info and its petty easy to go from there.

Have Fun!

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

I think it is for roller coasters that use magnets to accelerate and decelerate quickly. It isn't the motion that causes problems, but there have been a few cases where insulin was delivered because of the magnets. So yes - we take it off for the HUGE rollercoasters.

5. polly

polly Approved members

Thanks guys! Carol, did you feel comfortable signing your kiddo up for the supervised play times on the cruise? Noah will be wearing his Dex but is typically asymptomatic with hypos. Thanks for the link - lots of great info!!

Did you guys just carry a backpack with D supplies on the rides?

Thanks so much!

6. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

The g's on Mission:Space, Expedition Everest, and Rock'n'Rollercoaster are pretty intense. Personally, I have my son disconnect for them. He doesn't suspend, he just disconnects.

In the case of Rock'n'Rollercoaster, it uses a magnetic induction launch. Animas (we have the Ping) advises that the pump be removed and held by someone not on the ride -- with the reason that the magnetic pulse could potentially harm the pump.

7. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

On our Disney cruise in October, DD was told that she had to carry her meter and supplies with her at all times in The Edge. The CMs wouldn't keep it for her.

At WDW and Disneyland, we always have our backpack with us, especially on the rides. There is room in the ride vehicles to put your belongings. If we needed any emergency snacks while waiting in line, we had them with us.

We have never had any problems in the parks or on the cruise. Make sure you check BGs more often than usual and be prepared to WAG a lot on carbs. But, most importantly, relax and have fun!

8. flmom66

flmom66 Approved members

We just got off the Dream last week. I emailed them before the cruise and someone called to go over things. It is total guesswork on the carbs-and we took a book because our cell phone apps didn't work! DS did go to the kids club. He kept his meter in his pocket, and I dropped off a bag with 15g juices and snacks. He couldn't keep food on him due to kids with food allergies, but they kept it handy where he could ask a CM to get it for him as needed. I left instructions to be called with any checks-they provide phones for you from your stateroom. On your registration, you can request a sharps container for your room. It went well-he was higher than normal, either due to poor guessing or excitement, but I was ok with a little high vs. a little low. Have fun!

9. selketine

Sorry I just now saw this!

William was just 4 or 5 when we cruised so I didn't leave supplies but I know they had juice or something to give if he felt low or acted low - and they were to page me or call me. I did check in with him often - maybe every hour/90 mins to see how he was. He LOVED the kids club! They will keep epipens but I didn't try to leave a meter or anything else there (Maybe I left juice boxes or tabs - I can't remember).

10. Mish

Mish Approved members

We also disconnect for those (well, not MS since he won't go on the spinning side) but for the other two we just disconnect. We don't leave the pump off on RnR though. Haven't had a problem.

The one that actually makes me wonder - and maybe Caldercup, Selketine or MrsBadshoe have thought about this too - but the WedWay people mover (or whatever they're calling it these days) is ALL magnetic induction. So I wonder if it's even safe to bring a pump on that. The last time we were there, somewhere around the time where I was closing my eyes dreaming of "tom morrow" it dawned on me that the entire thing was magnetic. Which by that point it was too late, unless I wanted to make like a band of Brazilian teenagers and climb over cars and get off. ;)

11. selketine

I asked on the DISboards a long time ago about magnetic rides @ Disney World and one of the more knowledgeable people (Robo - if you know those boards) posted back.

His answer is quite technical - cause I don't know squat about motors - but interesting! He does mention the people mover: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=16715068&postcount=2

William lived on the people mover when he was little on our trips to Disney so I think it can't hurt your pump.

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

perhaps Robo can draw me a map LOL.

13. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Yes, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover (formerly the WEDway PeopleMover) uses magnetic induction to move the cars forward. For this ride, the magnetic pulses are near-constant, as opposed to RnR, where the launch is the only magnetic pulse.

We remove the pump and leave it with a family member not on the ride. Having had two pump failures while we were on vacations and having to switch to MDI because we didn't have a back-up pump, I would rather not risk it while at Disney and already battling crazy BGs from the adrenaline and exercise.

As far as I know (and I'm a moderator over at PassPorter.com [a Disney discussion board], and married to a ride designer), those are the only two magnetic induction rides at Disney.

14. khannen

khannen Approved members

My daughter currently uses the omnipod, so she can't really disconnect anyway. Even if that was an option, we wouldn't.

You mentioned something about bringing your bag along. I wanted to throw out there to ALWAYS take your kit with you every attraction. I remember walking by the Peter Pan ride and seeing it was actually a walk-on. The parade was going on and fantasyland was deserted. We hurried over and I just left the bag on the stroller. I was going to be carrying little brother on my hip and just didn't want to have to deal with it (even though it was small and not really a hassle).

We had horrible luck and the ride actually broke down while we were on it. We ended up being stuck for over 30 minutes on something that should have taken two minutes. I'll give you one guess of what happened next... her BG crashed. She was wearing a cgms and it alarmed in the 50s. We were suspended and had NO way of getting anything. I started calling out and a women in the car behind us was digging a candy bar out of her purse to try to throw to us when the ride finally kicked in! ;) I vowed to NEVER get on another ride without her kit or at least sugar in my pocket.

15. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

We've been many many times over the last 9 yrs and we have never disconnected either child/teen for any of the rides. Our pumps have never suffered any ill effects. My research concluded many years ago that the magnets and types were not ones that would effect the pumps works.

16. dentalhygmeech

dentalhygmeech New Member

Polly how was your cruise? Did everything go well? Any advice since your been on your trip? Our trip is later this month park/cruise/park with 15 yr T1 son. First trip since diagnosis