- advertisement -

Do you consider your D child healthy?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Jun 4, 2013.

?

Regarding your child's T1D, do you consider him/her to be healthy?

1. Yes

67 vote(s)
    95.7%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

My husband and I have no autoimmune diseases or chronic health concerns. The endo has not dx him poly endocrine syndrome type 2. They thought the dual diagnosis was a mute point even though they had not seen both initially dx at the same time. Since diabetes and thyroid issues go hand in hand. My son had been checked for Addison's and so far so good. We have been told by the docs it is about managing the conditions. I am now going to just be more vigilant when he is "sick" that he is going to be more likely to have another autoimmune concern.

I have not found much info on poly endocrine syndrome to learn more about what to expect.

2. sariana

sariana Approved members

We can not get my daughters A1C down under 8 :( We try and we try....

The last appointment, the Endo told me that she should not be eating more then 130 carbs a day! OUCH!!! She can eat more then half that in a meal...

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

In my opinion, the endo is looking at it the wrong way. They should be helping you figure out the correct ratios that will allow her to be in range more often and by doing that it will bring down her A1C, not restricting her diet. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  4. swellman

swellman Approved members

They are justified if they feel the child is on an unhealthy diet. I'm not saying she is but 130 carbs a day on average for an 8 year old seems like a bit of carbs to me and since they were recommended to come down to that level we can only assume that it was quite a bit more.

If we were to spread out 150 or so carbs throughout the day in 3 meals and a snack we would be rollercoastering pretty much all day due postprandial spikes and he's a 105 lb 13 year old.

5. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Just food for thought--not actual disagreement! :)

At dx, we were told that for a 3-4 year old (on NPH), he should eat:

breakfast - 30-45g
    snack - 15g
    lunch - 30-45g
    snack - 15g
    dinner - 45g
    snack - 10g

for a daily total of 145g-175g. Now, that was (and still is!) too much for K, plus we all know or have heard about the joys of feeding NPH, but with those numbers in mind, 130g for an 8 year old doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I do definitely agree, though, that what comprises those 130g does make a difference!

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Maybe or maybe not, we don't really have all the information.

If your son is spiking that much after meals you may want to look at YOUR ratios and timing of insulin.

For the OP, 130 carbs works out to 26 carbs per meal (3 meals and 2 snacks). Obviously, it is not divided equally per meal, but that still doesn't seem like that much to me.

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

I never considered us "low carbers" but that seems like a boatload of carbs to me.

You are correct that we don't know all the details which is why I try not to criticize doctor's recommendation unless I do.

The OP said "down to 130g carbs a day OUCH!!!" so ...

8. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Until she hit puberty, DD was a very skinny, but muscular kid and she ate 175-200 carbs a day and then more to fuel activity. Her A1C's were around 7. 3 glasses of milk are 36 carbs and 3 fruits are 45-60...so already up to 100 carbs with no grains yet. Your endos recommendation would not have worked for us. It always helped with numbers to stick to a diet composed carbs, protein and fat versus only carbs. For example, 60 carbs for 1 cup of rice, meat, fruit, salad and milk worked much better than 60 carbs of Kraft dinner.

9. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Why is this? Why would you necessarily have rollercoastering because of this carb count? My son weighs 100 lb and I'd guess his daily carb average is 150 or so but never considered that a bad thing. But maybe it is. ???

10. coeen

coeen Approved members

He is healthier now

Yes, my son was always sick before diagnosis. He has been soo much better since he was diagnosed. He still gets what all kids get but not as much.

11. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I used to say that Jacob was my healthiest kid because we watched what he ate more. Because he ate healthier, he was healthier. Unfortunately I have gotten lazy and that is no longer the case. Now my oldest son really watches his diet and is very fit as a result. Plus, he exercises regularly.

I have been allowing Jacob to eat too much garbage food and his BG has suffered as a result. I don't think he is as fit or healthy as he used to be. That is going to change starting NOW. I have been absent from this site for months and months. It's time for me to go back into battle with diabetes like I used to. I have to set a good example for Jacob because he is taking over his own care more and more and I want him to take this seriously.

Anyway, all things considered, he is surprisingly healthy.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

while I admit that my dd is rather athletic, not sports so much but dance and tumbling along with endless playing. I just checked her average carbs on her pump it it was 143, and i would say that on some days she can have 20-30 carbs uncovered and not entered into the pump.

I have cared for other D kiddos around the same age and they definately had way more carbs, probably averaging over 200 carbs a day.

I guess it really depends on the % of carbs out of total calories eaten in a day, IF all calories are from carbs and very little fat and protein then that is not good. Not because the amount of carbs but rather the lack protein and fat to balance out the content.

If a great majority of calories are from carbs then that means that very little are from fat and proteins, which slow absorbtion, create satiety, and reduce the BG spike.

13. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

I don't know much either, just that I found this on the Joslin page, which made me look up more:

There's also this forum: http://addisons-diabetes.gkznet.com (although this one is specific to Addison's & Diabetes, I'm sure you could google around)

ETA: The man who started the forum has all three conditions: Addison's, T1D & hypothyroidism

It was not until my daughter developed T1D that I really started looking and then discovered that the two things combined are probably there for a reason. It was a little too late? because I didn't know my kids were at such high risk for T1D. I know now, but well? I didn't see it coming.

There's not a lot out there about polyendocrine syndrome. My husband's endocrinologist NEVER called it that, nor did he mention that our children have a 1 in 2 chance of also developing it. (gee, thanks!)