- advertisement -

Do you check your child's BG when YOU get up in the morning?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momtojess, May 9, 2011.

1. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Yes!! Me too!! I breath a sigh of relief every morning when I see his blankets moving from his breathing.

Here is a text message between one of Tylers good friends mom (who happens to be one of my best friends) one morning after a sleepover at her house.

Me: Boys still sleeping?
    Her: Yup!!!
    Me: Wow!
    Me: Ty's breathing?
    Her: Already checked!!!!
    Me: Thank you!!

It's great to have a friend that truly "gets it"! Sad that we have to think about it though.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

When it has been more than 4 hours without a test there is ALWAYS a reason to test. That reason is that they have diabetes. It is rather insulting that you are implying that those who disagree with you have no reason to test when they do.

It is great that you can always accurately predict whether Seth is high or low, but most people cannot. Even if I was right 80% of the time (which I would not be), I would still check for that 20% where I could treat a low or correct a high sooner.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Trust me, you're not the only one here in this boat.

The mornings that she sleeps in scares me to death, I literally am peeking through a crack in the door to see if she is breathing.

There, I've said it. There's only two other people I have ever said this to.

4. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I don't check Kayla unless she has been off in the night or she is still asleep at say.. 11am or noon. Noah I check as I am waking him up in the am unless it is the weekend then I wait until he comes to breakfast.

5. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I get up at 4:45 and check Ab then. (My mom is home with Ab when I leave for work.) Ab gets up at 6-if I had to do a correction I leave her a note so she doesn't correct again at her breakfast. She just boluses for carbs eaten. This works for us, I can't imagine not checking, because I can't leave for work until I am sure she is OK. I check at midnight, depending on midnight #'s I recheck at 3 or hold off until 4:45.

6. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

ME TOO! but I have to say, I've done that since they were all babies...way before D

7. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

I get up at 5:15am on weekdays. I do not check Josh then. He checks when he gets up at 6:30. Since I check bg several times through the night and am comfortable doing it this way.

8. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

No. During the week she has always had to get up really early to go to before school latch key and we don't get up that long before her. Maybe a half hour to forty five minutes. And as she's such a light sleeper if we checked her as soon as we got up she'd wake up and lose out on much needed sleep.

On the weekends nope. We all sleep in and generally get up around the same time. Sometimes if I wake up at our usual weekend times and she sleep more than another forty five minutes to an hour then I get nervous and go in and check on her but that's rare. And again she needs her sleep due to our daily schedule so I hate to wake her up before she's ready. Only if I am getting too nervous or she's been running low in the mornings etc do I check her before that.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

If I trusted my gut, I would have missed a LO - my gut told me last night that a 100 with a 50% temp basal would bring her to 140+ - heck, my experience has taught me that. Luckily, my experience has always taught me that my gut often needs a steady dose of reality as well...and 1 hour later, we were LO...

So yes, I check, and when I let my gut lead me (or my personal I wanna sleep late laziness :rolleyes:) I regret it later.

10. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Me also. I usually keep that info to myself, but since others are admitting it.

On weekdays, I wake my son about 5 minutes after I get up. He gets up and checks himself. If it's a weekend and he sleeps later than I do, I check him when I get up.

11. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Just wanted to comment on kids sleeping through night checks..

As someone who checks hundreds of kids overnight at diabetes camp each summer, I see tremendous variation in the level of sleep disruption from night checks. Some don't stir at all for a check and can slurp down a juice while sleeping. Other kids fully wake up from just the flashlight coming near their bunk. Most kids are somewhere in between.

I do think the sleep disruption for most children from night checks is very minimal. Waking them up to treat a low is far more disruptive IMO, but obviously necessary.

12. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I think I started part of this in my reply in the other thread...:cwds:.

Jayden is an extremely light sleeper. In some of my very first posts on CWD, when she was dx'd, I came here asking for help because every time I went in to check her, she'd wake up immediately and start hiding her hands and feet from me.

She doesn't hide the hands and feet from me anymore, but she does wake up when I go in to check her. Most of the time she grabs the lancing device from me and sits up and does it herself. At the 2am check, probably two nights a week, she sits up and wants to have a conversation with me...what was the bg, how much did I correct, etc..

When I wake up every morning, I DO go in her room to be sure she's breathing. Always have. But since she has to get up an hour later, I don't bother her with a fingerstick. 90% of mornings she wakes up with numbers between 80-150.

13. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I've removed the unhelpful posts and closed the thread for the night. I've reopened it.

People, remember, it's diabetes that's the enemy -- not each other.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee use to sleep on her hands so I couldn't check her, she hasn't done that in a while now though. It was an automatic thing with her. She wouldn't wake up all the way, but she knew I was there, as I was searching for her hand she'd be moving them under her body as far as she could.:cwds:

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby tends to pull her hand away when I go to check. However, I don't think it's fear of being tested, it's more a matter of she likes to sleep like a mummy and she wants her hands under the blanket.

I might have posted earlier about this, but I have to time her tests based on what most likely is her REM cycle. I can test without her fully waking (she will generally stir) up until about 4:30am. After that, I will usually wait until 6:15-6:30 otherwise she will be up and ready to start the day.

As for treating, she will wake up if I give her juice or glucose because those are her least favorite and will argue about taking them, but she will sleep eat fruit chews.:cwds:

16. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

Yep, sure do. I check when she goes to bed, when I go to bed. When I get up in the middle of the night(bathroom break, baby feeding, etc) and then when I get up. If I decide to lay in bed while they're up playing I have her bring me her test kit and then I check her and let her continue playing. Sometimes prebolus then when I know what I'm doing for breakfast and if I'm getting up soon

17. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

If I correct for a high, then no I usually won't re-check before a meal bolus. If she was in range and nothing was done, then I'd re-check before breakfast if an hour has passed. :)

18. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

If I get up a lot earlier than what I think he'll sleep - then I wait to check him until it's time for him to get up. He does stir and wake for BG's during the night - often it's a bit of a tug of war. He does go back to sleep but it definetly disturbs him.

I usually wait for the morning check, until he gets up - it may not be the best head start on a possible high, but it does allow him to sleep.

19. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I have not read through all the replies, and I'm not sure what the ugliness was, but I'll answer: No I do not, unless I am concerned for some reason. I think everything changes when they are teens. Now, I may wake him and ask him to test, and I may check cgm and/or meter to see the overnight trends, but generally only if there was something going on overnight.

My son will NOT allow me to test him. He also does all the pump management and does not want me pushing buttons. :p For us it's a give and take, as long as he's managing well, he's allowed to call the shots, and I respect that he wants to do the testing and button pushing.

We're not in school so there are no concerns about getting him in range before he leaves anywhere, I imagine that factors in too.

20. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

You are a great resource Karla. I've been trying to figure out a school day breakfast spike for weeks. It never occurred to me to set a lower pre-breakfast target. :) I just changed his target for 5:00a - 9:00a to 80. I don't expect it to solve the underlying problem, but hopefully it will reduce the impact while I figure out how to adjust his I:C ratio.

Thanks!