- advertisement -

Do you check your child's BG when YOU get up in the morning?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momtojess, May 9, 2011.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

For me, 1 hr is a bit of a gray area. Under an hour no, 90 min. or more, yes. :rolleyes: An imperfect system, no doubt. And too, I suppose the number plays a big part. If it's very out of range then I would recheck.

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

It depends. If she was lowish, but not enough for me to want to treat at the time, I'll have her recheck. I always get "do I have to check again?" when it's been more than a few minutes.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

well, unless the dog has a readout on his nose or something it's not particularly compatible to having the info from a CGM or finger stick.

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I would have Seth check again an hour later, that's another reason I don't test him an hour before he gets up.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Nope, but we have a CGM. If we didn't, it would depend on what the first check was and whether we had given a correction or not.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Heather, I'm curious ... what if he sleeps till 10 or noon or some other crazy teen time?

7. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

Thank you! I often check as soon as I get up, but rarely go ahead and correct. Unless he's at a really wacky number.

Guess I might as well go ahead and correct.

I see what Karla means about working on those little things to help out the big picture.

I need to do more of that.....

8. Heather(CA)

I'm not trying to fight with you, I'm just not sure that hour is going to make that big of a difference. Disturbing their sleep every day an hour before they get up for just in case they are high, or because we are curious? The first hour of a correction doesn't bring them down as much as the second hour but by then they have to eat breakfast... I'm not saying it's right or wrong to test, but I do think good sleep is important too. kwim? Before I test Seth or have him test, I always ask myself, Am I doing this because I need the info, or am I just curious?

9. Heather(CA)

It depends on how everything else is going. For example, if he had a LOT of exercise the day/night before I will test him, but if things were pretty normal, I don't. Seth NEVER sleeps until noon.

I am not saying I don't test him if I feel a need, just not if I don't, I trust my gut a lot on this...

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, I don't test him just because I'm curious. We have a CGM. I know where he's at within 10 points either way. Like I said, I test to calibrate, and to correct down to 80. It's not just lowering his BG for an hour. It's reducing the breakfast spike (so another two hours at least after the first hour), and often results in better BGs all day. If he eats at 150, he'll often spike to 300, and won't come back down in range before lunch. Then he eats lunch, and has another big spike because he didn't start THAT meal in range. Or the nurse will correct and he'll go to PE and tank. Which often leads to an overtreatment, and then he's high again. Especially if he's in school where they're just following the pump settings, it can be a real mess.

If he starts eating at 80, he might spike to 200, and then settles back down to a nice pre-lunch number. With the CGM, we can see the huge difference between him eating breakfast at a not-so-bad 140 and a great 80. It's huge.

Also, he sleeps through all of his checks.

11. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Well, if a meter can be +/- 20% then a 150 could be 120 to 180. and then you base your cgm on that, so your cgm is hardly spot on. In the situation we're describing, whether to test first thing or whether you wait until your kid gets up or is about to eat breakfast, I think that either a DAD or a cgm can give you a good answer (providing you are well trained and can trust your cgm, or your DAD).

However, I wouldn't trust either a cgm or a DAD to bolus/correct for food first thing in the morn. (I do give a snack or something with/out a finger stick if the cgm says she's within range, then I just blous for the carbs.) I think the differences I'm reading here is that some test when THEY wake-up and some wait unitl the kid wakes up.

With cgm I wouldn't restick, or if I did a correction for a high I wouldn't restick, since I'm not going to correct again an hour later so I'd just go ahead and dose for just the food. I guess it depends on what that initial stick was.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I know you were asking another poster but since we do this as well ...

First off, you have to believe that some kids aren't, in fact, disturbed by checking. But I'm not sure that you do. Personally, I've seen how Maddie sleeps when she's high and it's not restful.

Idle "curiously" is not the reason for checking. I check because getting off to a bad start has a cascading effect on the whole day. If she's 210 ay 6:00 and I correct it, then by the time she's sitting in Math class at 7:45 she's back in range. If I don't then she isn't and algebra is hard enough at 7:45 in the morning without the added burden of being high.

13. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Definitely go ahead and correct--think of it as a "prebolus." You'd be correcting with food anyway, you might as well get a head start--just don't correct again with the food (I wouldn't even test again too soon after a correction). I know the iob should be accurate but it that's not really set in stone.

14. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Kristi -

Was Shots trained to alert to certain blood sugar levels? Does he alert if she's over a certain number? Just curious what the numbers are?

Remember a post a while ago when someone's DAD actually saved a friend of the child who had diabetes? The DAD smelled another child's low blood sugar.:cwds:

15. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Not as a rule. Only if I have to reason to be concerned.

On school days, she gets up about 20 minutes after me and she checks when she gets up. Usually she sleeps in a bit on weekends and she just checks when she wakes up.

16. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Its not the hour, its the number she wants him to eat breakfast as close to 80 as possible because his numbers are better throughout the day. So, if she checks him an hour before he eats, then there is that extra time to bring that number to 80, rather than waiting until he gets up and find he's 150 or 200, then there isn't time to get that number to start heading down before he eats. There is a huge difference in a meal spike when you start the number at 80 vs, 150 or 200.

17. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I do because I get up at 5am. It's the most important check of the day because it helps get him to a good number by breakfast. Lately the 5am number has been all over the map.

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I don't think she's commented on this Thread. Might be better to ask her in the "Mother's Day" thread. Interesting question though.

19. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Ours too.. this morning she was 57, juice box, and then only 65, my husband left for work at 5:30 and called me at 6 to check her (I don't wake when he leaves, calling me wakes me) so I went to check her and she was 134.. he was concerned because she barely came up before he left, at 8a I checked her when she got up for school and she was 87.. so, if she hadn't been checked at 5am and given a juice box she would have been really low at 8am..

Mornings have become a mess for us.

20. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Yes - I check the CGM.