- advertisement -

Do you check your childs BG during the night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bandmkolb, Oct 5, 2011.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

First, you're not a horrible Mom. You're doing your best.

Second, you need to get sleep. Whether you get it by napping during the day, or going to bed earlier, or by running your daughter higher the odd night so you can sleep through - do something to make sure you get some sleep! :)

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

This is exactly why we decided to pursue the CGM. I was at the breaking point, and my health has been affected. Three weeks into the CGM, I'm still up (last night it alerted three times), but I sleep much better between times knowing that I'll be alerted if she needs me. It's making a difference in that regard. I'm not laying awake wondering whether the dose I just decided to give was enough or too much, whether I need to recheck her at 1 - 2 - 3- or 4 hours to see just what the dose did. It's not like sleeping pre-D, but it's a vast improvement.

She swam for 2.5 hours last night off pump, and her BGs never went above 140 (she did hit 55 at one point). I had no idea what to expect with her being off basal for so long: lows from the exercise or highs from the missed basal. I still got a great night's sleep. :D And the "lows" the CGM caught were 80s. (We have it set to alarm at 80 for nights.)

3. L101418

L101418 Approved members

Oh Kirsten, you are doing a great job!
    I use two alarms; bedside and very loud cell phone across the room. A few nights ago I turned off the cell phone alarm and snoozed my bedside alarm for 2.5 hours. And I had NO clue. Time to fit in a no-check night or a lazy, nap-filled weekend.

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Well said:cwds:

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Again, very well said:cwds:

6. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I check every night...unless I sleep through the alarms.

You are all better parents than me...I don't check because I'm such a caring and conscientious parent that I want to tweak his levels to make sure he wakes up in range. I check because DIB scares the hell out of me. That is what motivates me to continue this sleep deprived existence - pure fear.

That said, I've caught so many highs and lows during night checks that I will not argue for a second that the kid needs tweaked during the night more often than not - DIB fear or not. But I'd be more willing to let that slide more often in trade for my sleep if it weren't for DIB. There is no doubt that my giving up sleep has negative consequences across the board - I can't function as well, and it takes a toll on my own health. But, I'll trade my function and health for his.

Although in a couple years Bobby will be grown and gone and on his own - I will check him at night for as long as I can.

I sneak naps whenever I can, and my friends all know not to bother asking me to get together if the boys are gone for a night...because I will be snoozing!

Everyone has to do what works for them and is in their own comfort zone. It's your life, your child, your choice.

To any tired parents in central Ohio, I extend a blanket invitation if you ever need a day, evening or whole night off...let me know and you can bring your kids here for a sleepover. I know how wonderful a whole nights sleep feels, so I'll give you one whenever you need it. :)

7. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

These are when we check, and also if he corrected before bed, I check him two hours later, and that number decides whether I will check again before wake up.

8. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

You do what works and what's comfortable.
    As for me, in 53 years of D, I have slept all night, every night. I have never intentionally woken myself (or been woken up) up to test.

9. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

Well said....

MY dd is a very light sleeper (takes that after her father). As soon as I go into her room she sits up in her bed and says hi Mama. Even in my Ninja mode still wakes up fully by the time I wipe her finger. Then she wants to talk or wants to know what her dad is doing (she knows he is up cuz if I am up then he is up). I can get my dh to take a turn also, but that sometimes turns in to him and her watching tv and eating free snacks (I don't know how or why they can do that but they do). We can't do that every night......

10. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I said it, and I completely stand by it. I am exhausted pretty much every day, and it takes more coffee than it used to to get me going, but I have caught soooo many random highs/lows in the middle of the night, both while MDI and while pumping, both during the honeymoon period and after it was over.

And you say it's not the same thing as during the day... tell that to the stomach bug my son just came down with. His numbers were great, as usual, until 3am on Wednesday night, he was at 24. He had just been checked at 10:30, and was at 114 with no IOB, no late activity, no nothing. Normal day.

But at 3am, he was 24. He was also running a fever. I didn't see that coming, and it's one of MANY weird numbers I've caught because I check at night.

Most people who are new and come to this board seeking advice have been either told not to worry about night checks, or just assume that sleep is safe, because they are new. IMO we'd be doing a huge disservice to anyone in letting them believe that for a second. It's not safe. D is never safe.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

This is exactly why we test at night as well. We were also told that checking at night wasn't necessary -- it was here on CWD that I learned WHY it was, for the reasons you stated above.

12. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Wasn't there a thread not too long ago asking people with T1D (not the parents) if they woke themselves up for testing? It was really quite interesting.