- advertisement -

Do you check your childs BG during the night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bandmkolb, Oct 5, 2011.

1. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

My son is 8 and diagnosed three months ago. At first we checked but then the endo said we only need to check if he is waking up low. He has been waking up at a good number for about a month now so we quit checking, I am reconsidering after seeing some of the other posts.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Endos don't LIVE with diabetes, and it's not their child. We were given 5 guidelines of when to check: 1) sickness, 2) three days following insulin doses changes, 3) higher than usual activity during the day, 4) activity after supper, and 5) gut intuition. My daughter doesn't feel her lows at night, and I'd rather check than be sorry. And truthfully, insulin doses in our house are tweaked frequently enough that I'd be up almost every night anyway. But, having the CGM is great. I'm still learning its ropes, but my DD periodically drops basal needs dramatically and will do 100+ pt drops in a couple hours in the middle of the night. Those are when I really want the CGM monitoring...because getting up every two hours during her basal drops has taken its toll on my health.

3. jjules

jjules Approved members

We check everynight at midnight or so, if any correction is needed I tend to do it before then, and that number sets the tone for the night. My son was dx as a baby, so its a habit that has stuck. What the dr's say is a recommendation, I feel its safer to catch a number that hits you from left field. You gotta do what works for you. My husband gets up for work at 5am, so at minimum he gets tested then. Every now and then we catch a hypo..

4. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

I check EVERY night every 2-3 hours... every once in a great while I will go 4 hours if I feel confident that she wont go low if I give a correction I check in 2 and if Im just checking its at 3...

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

usually around midnight, then again if she needed a correction and is sleeping with a bolus and Iob, or again if we treated a low or lowered basal to (hopefully) avoid a low, after a long afternoon of sports, if dinner was late and or had a long extended bolus. So, yeah. pretty much every night. :p

6. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I check Sophjie when I got to bed around midnight, and then depending on if we need to do a correction or not, I''ll check her again around two or so. It really just depends.

7. lisac

lisac Approved members

We test when she goes to bed (that time varies!!), at 12am, 2am, 4am, and when she gets up. I know this sounds like a lot, but my husband gets home from work around 11:30pm and gets the midnight test. He goes to bed around 2am (after he tests her,) I get up for work at 4 am so I just test her then. We're just now getting her overnight basal rates set correctly, so we were having a LOT of overnight lows. I can't imagine a time when we will not test during the night.

8. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Every night. Absolutely every night.

Generally we check around 10:30 when we go to bed, around 2-3am, and my husband is up at 6 am for that next check.

There is too much that goes on at night not to check. I wouldn't skip checking him for 7-10 hours in the daytime, so there is no way I'd do it at night.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

One way to look at it is this: Would you go 8 or 9 hours during the day without checking his bg?

Simply because he is waking up at a good number, you have no idea what his bg is doing all those hours during the night. The only way to know for sure is to check.

To answer your question, I check Danielle's bg multiple times a night, every night and I have done so since she was diagnosed. I do it because I can catch highs and bring them down, and I can catch lows and bring them up. And she often has highs and lows at night.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we do check in the middle of the night. Most nights I check Ashleigh at midnight and 4am. Our endocrinologist also told us we didn't have to check Ashleigh in the middle of the night, but I won't stop testing. Ashleigh does not recognize lows at night or highs for that matter. I've corrected several high blood sugars in the middle of the night and caught many lows also.

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

We do check every night. Im unsure why so many endos say this:confused: Our former one also said this years ago and even told us not to disturb Steven unless he was ill and that he would wake up if he was low. Ive always thought this pretty dumb advice and we choose not to follow it

12. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

yes. we check every night....usually 3 times a night... i cannot see a time in our lives when we would not check while DS is living with us. it seems to be everyone's favorite question "are you sleeping through the night yet...has he stabilized enough yet??? Grrrrrrrrrrrr... of course i will never sleep through the night again;)

13. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

We check at his bedtime then I check at
    11-12am
    2am and
    4am my husband does when he gets up for work..
    Our endo also told us that we did not need to check, but we have caught alot in the middle of the night.. Alot of lows lately, ugh. I did check atleast once at night but not always more then that, before coming to this forum. After I read alot about what others were saying about night checks I agree with Chris, I would not go 8 or 9 hours during the day without checking my son..:cwds:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  14. bandmkolb

Wow thanks all! I am still new to this and assumed what the endo said was ok. I always check at 9 or so and give a snack if it is under 150. And he has been waking up between 100 and 110 at 6 am. I will be checking during the night now as well...:eek:

15. bandmkolb

Anytime my son is high and needs a correction he always goes low very quickly. So in the middle of the night if he is high, should I give him a correction? This is so scary. BTW he is on humalog 1/30 carb ratio and 1/50 over 150 during the day BG. At night 1/50 over 200. Also on Lantus 4 units (for now) at bedtime.

16. L101418

L101418 Approved members

I think you have to do what works for you. The nights I'm up the most I'm working to get high numbers back into range before morning. We have not struggled with lows at night like some others have. I do worry about lows but I'm also motivated to keep them in range all those hours they are asleep to help keep them healthy. I do try to fit nights in where I don't check but really that rarely happens. The d-stars have to all align and with the nature of T1D and 2 kids...well.

17. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

I agree with those that said they check at midnight and that sets the tone for the night. In the early days when my son was honeymooning, if he was under 150 he got a free snack at bedtime. It was usually kinda large and he would run a little higher at night. I did not check him. Now he has been needing insulin to cover his bedtime snack so I check him at midnight. If it has been a day that he has had a lot of exercise and I feel that the midnight check is lower than I like, I will give him a juice box. I will sometimes come check him around 3 or 4am. I go with my gut feeling. Every night is different. I am starting to feel exhausted.

18. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Won't go longer than 4 hours without checking. Most nights we're up every 3 hours checking. DH and I take turns. The annoying thing is even if he's the one checking I wake up anyway. DD seldom wakes up during those night time checks. She can finish a juice box without waking up. I tried to give her a snack last night to keep her more steady the rest of the night but it didn't work. She just tried to "sip" the ritz cracker with cheese!

19. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think what you will find is that he may have different correction factors for different times of the day/night. You may have to "experiment" a bit to figure it out.

If he is high in the middle of the night, you could try giving half of the normal correction you normally would. You would then want to check him several times to make sure he is not going too low.

20. Mel

Mel Approved members

What a way to identify T1D parents - look for the ones with bags under their eyes. ;) I've started checking our little guy at 1030-11, midnight and 330am. DH checks him if I can't. We've caught lows and treated highs. I agree with the statement of not letting him go 8-9hrs during the day so why would we at night. Hope everyone is well this evening.