- advertisement -

do you celebrate your child's diaversary?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2here, Mar 6, 2011.

1. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

As number two will be here in just a a little over a week, I am wondering how you celebrate (or don't) the day of diagnosis?

I think my son would actually think I was crazy if I carried out a celebration for that day but I am willing to entertain ideas about how it is being handled elsewhere.

So, how do you deal with the anniversary of the day of diagnosis?

2. angiej

angiej Approved members

We use it as a day to acknowledge how hard she works to keep herself healthy. We don't celebrate getting diabetes, but we do celebrate the achievements of the previous year - milestones achieved etc.

Our daughter chooses a cake, we blow out candles, we say a few words about it, but that's it for us.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We marked the first, but not thereafter. Last year, 8 years, I forgot.

4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

That sounds like a good way to think of it. Our 1 year mark is 4 months away. I'm not sure how my son would feel about marking that day. He is still very emotional and at times angry about D.

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

22 yrs later - (he's 23) we still give a gift for all the hard work involved. I really like the idea of celebrating the whole family's effort - and make sure the siblings are acknowledged too since it impacts the whole family.

6. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

We don't do anything. I usually don't even think about it until it is already past.

7. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

To be honest I always remember the day and may mention it to my family that this was the day when... but that is it. Our son's diabetes is such a HUGE part of the whole families daily life. It seems like he gets so much extra attention than his brothers that I think it would be unfair to start finding even more ways to focus on diabetes.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We do not. He was too young at diagnosis to remember a "before", and I think he'd just think it was sort of weird if we had a diagnosis celebration.

I make an effort throughout the year to tell him how proud I am of how he handles his diabetes. I think that makes a bigger impact on him than one day would.

That all being said, there's nothing wrong with it if people choose to celebrate the day. It's just not right for our family.

9. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

The four of us go to a restaurant of Tyler's choice and we have a nice dinner. Tyler is allowed to eat what he wants (as is his brother), and we deal with any problems later. We tell Tyler that for that 1 meal, he may 'forget' he has diabetes.
    We don't see it as celebrating the day he was diagnosed, we see it as celebrating a successful, healthy year. :cwds:

10. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

DS's birthday is 21 days after dx day, and he ended up having two birthday parties because DD was sick for the first one and no one wanted to come over with sickness in the house (don't blame them!). I had already ordered his cake so picked it up and we had a small family party. Then two weeks later had the larger party. January was one big party month! I don't remember exactly what we did for his diaversary, but we did do something. :cool:

11. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

I always give dd the option of marking it, but she never wants to. So I make sure to tell her how proud I am of her, and we leave it at that. I think it really does come down to what your child wants to do.

12. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

No. It was one year on Friday since Hana was diagnosed. Though I knew that it was one year on that day, I didn't make a big deal. I did mention it to her but it wasn't momentous.
    She is doing great. It has not stopped her and life pretty much resumed to normal after she was dx. There is no need to dwell on it. She will always have it. No need for additional reminders. I can't imagine 50 years from now, she will stop to think that it is the 50th anniversary.

13. selketine

selketine Approved members

Same here - William was 26 months old. I just like to think of it as part of his whole - I mean I think he sees himself as always having had diabetes - like he's always had eyeballs.

I like this idea though - any excuse to go out and eat! That's a good way to focus on the person but involve the family.

Certainly nothing wrong with acknowledging the day how you choose and it is definitely an accomplishment.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I always remember the day, but I don't think anyone else in my family does. We've never done anything to remember it. To be honest, the day tends to upset me more than anything else.. I still struggle to think about how sick I was and how close things were.

15. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

every year we always think back and look at the fact we are so proud of her. She likes it when we do something special, she is proud of herself too. I think its a good thing to do. Its that one day that can just keep us focused . So she does not forget. This year in Aug. it will be 5 years for our daughter Shannon. We are so proud of her, And you guys should be proud of yourselves too.

16. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

We do not do anything on the date. We even went one year where I managed to totally forget it until a few days later.

17. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We did the first couple of years but no longer do.

18. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We never have ... and in fact it was just the other day and I would not have remembered had it not been for this thread.

I always tell my daughter that I am proud of her. But at the same time, I don't want to highlight it ... it is just a part of her life.

19. skimom

skimom Approved members

We do not acknowledge these days - not only are these days associated with the life changing diagnosis of diabetes, but unfortunately in our family, the diagnoses periods coincide with some other sad anniversaries. When my son was diagnosed, we lost 3 close family members within 7 weeks of his diagnosis and my daughter's diagnosis and my dad's death share the same date ( 3 years apart) Sorry - but I would rather let these days go past with as little attention as possible. DOn't get me wrong, I am forever grateful that my kids are healthy and alive but I don't feel like celebrating.

20. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We don't celebrate it but last November, on the anniversary of DD's dx, I gave her some flowers after school as a way of acknowledging how much she had been through, how brave she'd been, etc.

I try to acknowledge her efforts throughout the year, so I don't see us doing anything more elaborate than that in the future.