- advertisement -

Do ketones affect CGMS readings?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lisa P., May 20, 2011.

1. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I'm pretty sure that ketone production is part of why we see ???? on the Dexcom.

I think it's taken me awhile to tumble to it because I've always figured it's just about rapid highs and lows, but I'm thinking now ketones and ??? go hand in hand. I'm thinking probably not the ketones themselves, rather whatever triggers make production start?

Anyone else see it?

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

In our experience it is more the fast up or down that will give the ???

Although I do not doubt that ketones could cause a problem with individual Enzymatic action and Dexcom. I mean if a dose of Ibuprofren can mess with it, then I am sure ketones can.

3. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Yes, yes, of course. . .
    Um, uh, the what? :p:eek:

4. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Ibuprofren does not alter it but Tylenol and its generic does.
    My daughter only makes ketone production when very,very sick with a stomach bug. It never changed her readings from her Dexcom so not really sure.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I was having ketones almost every morning plus most times I went over 200 for a period of a few months this fall and winter. It did not seem to affect the Dexcom one way or the other. Those were trace to small urine ketones, but even when I was vomiting and really sick in December, the Dexcom did not have a problem. It also functioned fine through an endoscopy with general anesthesia.

It's still possible that ketones affect the Dexcom in higher quantities or different types of ketones, but it doesn't really seem likely to me.

Particularly since my ??? are mostly associated with a new sensor, an old sensor, or being less active (evenings as much as mornings).