advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need a prescription to buy extra test strips??

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mom2ejca, Jan 6, 2009.

1. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

We are almost out of our ins covered test strips. Can I buy test strips over the counter? I've never looked- are they just sitting on a shelf somewhere in the pharmacy if you are paying cash? Or do I have to buy the test strips at the pharmacy under our prescription even tho they won't be covered by the insurance?

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Yes, you can buy them without a prescription if you won't be using insurance. You might want to comparison shop and get the cheapest ones that are still accurate.
    P.S. When I was about a week out of the hospital, I was away from home with my father one day and we realized I only had two test strips on me, so he suggested that I go over to the pharmacy and buy some strips. I went over, and asked to buy some accu chek aviva test strips. The pharmacist said, That'll be 89 dollars. I said Nevermind.

3. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

You can buy them without a script. I had to do this once when I thought I was out and the pharmacy was closed.

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Oh yes, we had to do that for some months early on.

5. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

You can get them without a prescription but they are pretty darn expensive.

I did find a place online where they are cheaper if you have time to wait: http://www.diabetesnet.com/ishop/index.php?cPath=44

I am consindering purchasing some extras as this lower cost to have some on hand as back up in case we run low, just haven't done it yet. I keep hoping we will test less and build up a supply each month, but it hasn't happened so far.

You could also check Ebay, again if you have time to wait.

6. shekov

shekov Approved members

I would contact your meter company. I got a BUNCH of coupons for Aviva strips when I asked...

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Two things - call your endo and tell them that you need more strips than they wrote the RX for (300 a month is about normal) and then get that in hand tomorrow and bring it to the pharamcy. Have the pharmacy call the insurance to get an override (they do this all the time).

Don't pay out of pocket. :)

8. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

Most of the time they are behind the pharmacy counter or locked up and you have to ask for help. They can be expensive. Thank God I haven'thad to buy any out-of-pocket for a long time. I also remember when our first meter died. I paniced and ran to CVS and bought one. NOW I have learned you can get them for free if you ask.

9. mom2ejca

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to get the ins to cover more- but they are incredibly dumb. Seriously, if I could reach thru the phone..... :eek: We can only get a 10 day supply of test strips at a time, 14 day supply of syringes and 30 day supply of insulin. Do you know how incredibly time consuming it is to keep track of what I can refill when, and then make the trip to the pharmacy? This is ridiculous- I have called & called & called, I get nowhere.

Them "Sure we will cover 30 days"
    Me "then why can't our pharmacy get approval for more than 10 day?" Them "it must be your pharmacy"
    Me "no we have tried 2 different pharmacies, it must be you"
    Them "well my system says you can have a 30 day supply, so try again"

I want to scream :eek:

10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Try asking your insurance what pharmacy they recommend.

We spent 9 months buying our RX from our local pharmacy. We had to PREPAY for everything (test strips cost 93, btw :eek:) and then get reimbursed. Finally talked to the insurance about another matter and they asked why I wasn't buying them from their in-house mail order place. Three month supply, doesn't really save us anything and I'd rather use local, but you don't have to prepay and hope you get all the paperwork in right, etc. Us prepaying was their way of "punishing" us for using another pharmacy, but we didn't even know it (I kind of am miffed at our HR department about that one, I spent years paying for little RX bills thinking gee, we have a really high copay, when I was paying for the whole thing and didn't know to get reimbursed -- pharmacy didn't know, either).

My point being that insurance companies do bizarre things to get more money out of you, straight out ask them what dance they want you to dance and don't miss a step.:eek:

And thanks for the question, I've often wondered that.

11. frizzyrazzy

oh wow...what is your insurance? It's possible we've got others here who have the same and can help.

12. mom2ejca

Assurant Health- it's a HIGH deductible plan.

As if this wasn't enough of a pain.... I went into the pharmacy yesterday to pick up our 10 day supply only to find out we can't get the Accu-check test strips unless I want to pay out of pocket. Find out our primary covers Accu-check but our supplemental only covers Bayer or One-touch. And since our deductibe starts over the first of the year, we have to bill under the supplemental.

dd starts crying because the Aviva is her favorite- and "it only takes 1/2 a gallon of blood and the one-touch takes a whole gallon of blood"
    At least they cover the Multiclix- probably would have to restrain dd if they tried to tell her she had to give up the Multiclix.

So we go to finish our grocery shopping while the pharmacist is trying to figure this mess out, run into bathroom to wash hands to see how we did on our EatnPark lunch bolus. Dd decides she doesn't want to go into bathroom, she wants to check in cart. Stomp feet-glare- you're mean. 62 :eek: with at least 1 1/2 hrs IOB- no wonder she was ornery *freakin' great* "but I feel fine, I'm not low" ok, by this point I feel low:rolleyes:- Treat the low, back to the pharmacy. "we called the number on your prescription, but they didn't know what we were talking about, so we can't give you a refill today. Is there another number we can call?" Hard to believe that a pediatric endo's office wouldn't know anything about changing a prescription for test strips.:confused:

Get home call the pharmacy with the fax # to get authorization and the girl acted like I was asking her to give me a kidney or something. Geez, fax the paper thru and they will fax you back. It will take like 2 minutes. So I'm waiting to hear back from someone to see if this mess is straightened out. I've got calls into the pharmacy, endo, primary & supplemental.

13. frizzyrazzy

oh my gosh. This is just horrible. I honestly haven't heard of anyone having such horrible insurance issues.

When is open enrollment on your insurance ;)

14. mom2ejca

Yes, I'm convinced that there is someone at our ins company who's job title is "Making insured's lives miserable" and someone put our folder on their desk.

We are going to a preferred pharmacy. I tried to get signed up mail order but it appears we can't because of our supplemental. Our primary is a high deductible plan. In PA, children with diabetes qualify for state supplemental insurance regardless of income. But in order for the state ins to cover our co-pay (100% right now) the prescription has to be filled in a pharmacy in PA.

15. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Wow :eek: I thought my pharmacy and insurance issues were bad. What an aggravating situation.

16. mom2ejca

What's open enrollment?

17. frizzyrazzy

the time of year when you can change your insurance options...

18. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, this is above and beyond shameful.