advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I:C ratios change from MDI to Pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by frosteboy, Mar 19, 2011.

1. frosteboy

frosteboy Approved members

Our MDI I:C ratio was 1:60. They have us at 1:40 for our pump. Of course this all depends on certain D's and their own behavior. Just trying to get an idea of what others have done.

By the way, we have not had a decent BG yet. We are losing our minds! Errrrrrrr

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, ours did. My son needs more insulin pumping than he did on MDI.

When you say you haven't had decent numbers yet, do you mean that he has been high? That's fairly normal for pump start. They usually set basal conservatively so you're not dealing with constant lows, and then bump it up as needed.

It takes a few days/weeks to get it ironed out. Be patient. It's worth it. :)

3. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ours did change when we went to the pump. On MDI Ashleigh's I:C was 1:15, when we started on the pump they initially kept her at 1:15, but then they changed breakfast to 1:12 and kept the rest at 1:15. Recently I increased breakfast to 1:10 and increased the rest of the day to 1:12.

4. frosteboy

Okay, Good to know. 1:60 to 1:40 seemed like a huge jump to us. We never got an explanation and the training that we recieved, in our opinion, was less then acceptable. We drove four hundred miles (roundtrip) three weeks in a row to our diabetes center.

Cayden's numbers have been high. We changed the I:C ratio and hopefully we will get it down. He takes so little insulin it is hard to tell.

Another thing that is very confusing to us is the IOB. I called animas and talked to somebody that helped me out. Sometimes it will show something like

Carbs + 0.60
    BG + 0.07
    IOB - 0.30
    Total 0.60

It will show a - for IOB but then not subtract it. Animas helped me with that problem.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If his numbers have been across the board high, he likely needs a basal increase. It's impossible to get the bolus ratios right until basal is set correctly.

6. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Charlies changed. We didn't have a decent blood sugar reading until we started doing basal testing.

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Ours did, hugely. He went from 13 units of Lantus to over 20 units in novolog with basal, and his I:C ratio went from 1:9 to 1:8. The I:C ratio wasn't a huge change, but he needs a TON more basal via pump than he did on lantus.

I would love to hear some reasoning why this is true, given that it's not just our experience but others as well. Our CDE believes his pump start coincided with an end to honeymoon, but that's just too big a coincidence for me to swallow.

Are you saying that you have not had a good BG level yet since starting pumping?? It took a full and solid 2-3 months for my son to establish good readings after pumping. It was a tough tough pump start for him and he very nearly gave up more than once.

8. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Ours went the opposite way, Kayla was at 1:20 or 1:25 on MDI and they started her on 1:30 when she started pumping.. she has stayed there.

9. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Hang in there. Took us 3 months to get things "down pat"... hahaha, well not really, it's been almost 4 months and we're still constantly making adjustments. But not as much as the first month, nor the 2nd month.

K's I:C almost stayed the same on pump. Total basal now is almost the same as her long acting insulin. To each his/her own!

10. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

Ryan's I:C went from 1:20 on MDI to 1:25 on the Omnipod. He also went from 7 units of Lantus to 6 units of Humalog for basal.

11. frosteboy

Thanks for the help. It turns out he had a fever and two days after starting the pump we are learning sick day management with a new pump. Of course they start us on a Thursday, Friday was somewhat okay, Saturday, Sunday were horrible (the on call doc cared less). Monday, was much better since we were able to talk to our regular nurse. Once we get past the sickness we can get on track with honing in on our BG's.

Overall his basil and bolus are much greater (more insulin) than with MDI.

12. Trev

Trev Approved members

Normally they would be slightly less. In my experience.

13. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

We changed HUGE, although she needed adjusting pre pump but they wanted to wait to change anything. Went from I:C 1:40 to 1:15 and basal doubled.

As for the .30 not being deducted the pump is still accounting it for other carbs you already put in so it is already "used up" so the pump will not take that away.

Gppd luck! It gets way better, I promise ;)