- advertisement -

Do high/low reactions change as you age?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DsMom, Jan 4, 2013.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I wanted to get the response of those adults/teens who have had D since childhood, as well as the parents of those kids who have had it for some time. Not a lot of traffic here...but didn't want to post on multiple forums, so I hope I get some responses!:cwds:

I know the emotional reactions to high/low BG varies dramatically among people. Right now, we are lucky that extreme BGs do not affect my son's mood dramatically. Lows, even very low lows, just result in shakiness. Sometimes, very high highs result in some irritablility, but nothing too bad. And, the other day, he dropped very quickly from 300 down to the low 100s in an hour...and THAT produced a bad mood and tears. But, I was wondering if people reactions change over time or when they age? I'm glad for my son that BGs don't impact his emotional day too much...and am hoping it will last.

Just another look into my "crystal ball"...:eek::p

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son is nearly 19. He has never been an emotional person, but when low, if he is feeling blue to begin with, the lows accentuates the blues.

3. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Has his reaction changed at all over time? I guess I am just feeling grateful my son doesn't have huge reactions...and am hoping that individual reaction stays stable over time. I have a feeling that that is probably not the case though.

4. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

My reactions to highs really haven't changed, except one time last year my blood sugar was HI and I was sitting on the floor laughing, my roommate thought I was crazy but we were close so she just continued what she was doing.

But my low behavior do change from time to time. I know that when I was first diagnosed (12) I would talk a lot, usually funny things out of my character (once I demanded that my mom make me a sandwich as I didn't want juice). Teen years I was very moody when low, either teary eyed or angry and pouting. Now, in college I realize that I tend not to have a filter and will say something very blunt when I'm low.

5. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

I've been curious about this as well. My son is 6 and we see BG numbers from 30's to over 600, though thankfully not often. I can definitely tell when he is low and he has started to be able to also. When he is high, he gets pretty cranky and unreasonable.

My dad is type 2 and I've seen him around high 300's in the hospital having hallucinations. At 500 he wasn't cohearent. My brother (42) is also type 2 and seems to be similar to my dad in being affected more by high numbers than my son is.

Its been my assumption that this is due to age and my son's young body being able to handle the high and low BG better than an adult, though, I didnt think about it just being due to differences from person to person.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

As my son aged, he developed a dislike for highs in addition to already taking action on lows. When younger, he didn't care when he was high. Now that he must think clearly, he notices when high.

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I often wonder if highs are affecting my son's schoolwork. He already has the challenge of ADHD...and he never complains of highs (except he will sometimes say he feels shaky) but I wish I knew to what extent they might hinder his concentration at school.

8. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I know that highs really mess with my concentrations levels. When I'm high it's hard to actually remember and focus on the words on a page. It really seems as if each word is independent.

9. carbz

carbz Banned

My symptoms are far worse now as an adult then when I was a kid. When I was young and my sugar was high I had the typical thirsty cotton mouth and constantly urinating as well as some blurry vision. I really don't remember much more then that. Now at even slightly elevated levels I get extremely irritable, everything around me looks unusual. I get pressure in my head, fingertips and feet. I usually become starving as well. With lows I find it varies. Sometimes in mild hypoglycemia I get real paranoid and anxious where real lows I am actually not as disturbed mentally. As a kid I just got the shakes, sweats and numb lips. It really is pure living hell and as a diabetic there is no way to normalize BS levels but only on occasion. Fasting BS should be between 80-85 and I find most of the time that is the only time I actually feel rather OK. This disease is just outright rancid. I am almost tempted to apply for a pancreas transplant as I think its worth the risk and trade off. I don't mind the injections but the unstable glucose is pure hell. Bizarrely my father who also became insulin dependent later in life has virtually no symptoms at all from the sugar levels. The highs he doesn't feel at all and the lows he says don't really bother him either. I am baffled how that is possible.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013