- advertisement -

Do diabetes alert dogs "work" at night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KRenee, Oct 23, 2008.

1. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

I have read all the old posts but I didn't see this question answered. I want to get my dd a dog, but I want to be able to rely on it to alert if my dd goes low after my last night time check.

I suppose it depends upon the dog, but if you have a dog that is reliable during the day are they also reliable at night? Or do they sleep right through your lows?

2. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Theoretically, they sleep with the kid and alert during the night too. I saw an amazing episode on a documentary about work dogs. I'm not sure why this kid was having so many bad lows, but he seizured very easily and sometimes would have several in a day. He was about 12 and at the point where he wouldn't have friends over or go to a sleepover, he was so worried about going low and having a seizure in front of them, and his mom was checking him just about every hour through the night.

They showed this dog in action. He slept on the bed with the kid. The boy didn't move or cry out or anything, but the dog's ears just pricked up and then he trottedd over to the parents' room and pawed at them and woke them up. Mom went back and tested the kid, and sure enough he was just going low.

I'm assuming this was filmed pre-CGM, because if I had a kid like that he'd be hooked up the minute they became available!

3. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

We checked into this. They do alert at night, but once I found out they run about 20 grand I realized we could not afford it.

4. moco89

moco89 Approved members

They are very expensive to train, and an owner-trained dog costs at least as much as a dog that comes out of a program.

But, they do alert at night.

This works through a training technique called "scent discrimination".

5. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

I had a dog that wasn't trained and woke me up just before my husband had a seizure... They sense the difference in smell.

6. nobodybutjustme

nobodybutjustme Approved members

Diabetic Alert Dogs Reliable at Night

we have an alert dog and he is reliable both during the day and at night. we have spoken with many companies that train these service dogs and would love to offer more help and insight. If you are interested, please send me a PM and I'll be glad to help. A great place to start is : www.diabeticalertdog.com
    At this site, you can find info, comments/ feedback from customers of various service dog agencies. There, you can post questions to people who are currently using alert dogs. It's a great place to start. Good luck. We are most please with our alert dog - he is marvelous. My granddaughter also has an alert dog who is amazing!!

caution: the Attorney General's Office has initiated legal procedings against one particular company . . . at last check, there were 28 complaints filed.

7. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I relaxed my rules about the dog on the beds with Kendall was d'xd last year. Ruby (our Labradoodle) was only 9 months old at the time. She wouldn't sleep wiith Kendall then, but lately, she sleeps on her bed and I've seen her sniffing her mouth when she get on the bed

Ok, maybe it's bad breath, but I have to wonder...... I still get up everynight in the middle of the night, and we've never had a seizure, but I have to think maybe she's smells something?

8. KatieJane

KatieJane Approved members

Alerting at night

I have a diabetic alert dog & YES, she alerts at night. She alerts 24 hours a day. She will even wake up out of a dead sleep, alert on me, & then go right back to sleep.

She often "checks" me and then may or may not alert depending on my blood sugar. She does these "checks" by smelling my breath. She is only 8 months old & is totally amazing!! If you have a pup that is already naturally doing checks then you need to encourage that by catching her smelling your daughter's breath & then saying "good check" & giving her a quick treat. This way she will learn to do the checks more often.

My dog alerts by licking me or sometimes by staring very intently at me if she is not near enough to lick me. Has your dog done either of these things? If so, then you need to say "good alert", treat the dog, & check your daughter's blood sugar. She will either by rapidly dropping or rising. My dog alerts about 20 minutes before a drop shows up on my meter.

I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have or you can check out my website at www.lildotspot.com & follow the links for more information.

It sounds like you have a great, naturally alerting dog that could be trained to be a service dog for your daughter. My dog is much more acurate & faster than my meter! She has kept me from going low too many times to count. She never misses and she's never been wrong.

9. flabby_abi

flabby_abi Approved members

I have a diabetic alert dog (trained under the guidance of Liz Norris, http://www.pawsibilitiesunleashed.org/), and YES! he does alert at night. he is the most amazing thing ever.

Just last night I woke up to Darcy (my dog) standing over me, licking my face. then darcy ran out of my room and into my moms room, jumped on her bed and licked her face. my BG was 213.

Darcy also wakes me up for low BG's. the night before last i woke up to darcy sitting beside my bed whining and pawing at my face. he then went to my moms room, jumped on her bed and alerted to her. my BG was 65.

Darcy alerts by licking my face for highs and pawing at my legs for lows. he usually alerts for lows when i am 85-90 and for highs when i am 170-190.

I wish you the best on your search for a dog! but be careful... the first dog i had did not alert at all, much less at night. some companies are just not trustworthy- do your research! good luck

10. Samantha

Samantha Approved members

Yes, Diabetic dogs do alert at night and it is such a comforting feeling when they do. Even thou it is sleepy time these dogs know their jobs and want their treat.

I would like to ask anyone and everyone how to get your Service Dog INTO school. My son's service dog is allowed EVERYWHERe with him, she even goes to religion with him, but the public school district is not allowing it. We have filed a suit againist them with the district and the Civil Rights but the school does not care. How is it that they do not have to abide by State and Federal laws. This is so frustrating, confusing, exhausting and expensive that there are no words that are appropriate to use to express the way that both my husband and I are feeling. Thank you for your help.