- advertisement -

Do d-kids get sick more often

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shannong, Feb 23, 2013.

1. shannong

shannong Approved members

Our nurse says that people with diabetes do not get any more flus/colds than people without d. This winter however my DS has been non-stop sick. He seems to catch cold after cold, in addition to the flu and ear infections. This has me wondering if all that blood checking on the fingers lets more germs in. We always try and have him wash his hands, but still I wonder if this compromises his immune system.

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

My daughter with D does not get sick very often at all. She seems quite immune to ordinary bugs that are around. My eldest daughter who is a Kindergarten teacher always seems to be catching colds, tummy bugs, headlice etc from the children she is in contact with... I think it seems to be an environment thing NOT a specific child issue.. :cwds:

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Not in our experience. And most bugs are inhaled so I wouldn't consider bg checks a point of contagion.

Sorry you've had so much illness to cope with.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  4. swellman

swellman Approved members

It seems to be just the opposite with us. Maybe it's all the hand washing.

5. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

My dd is/was sick All the time. Finally the pediatrician did an antibody test for streptococcus pneumonia igG and scored very poorly. She had many ear infections, colds, you name she had it and forever. They gave her the vaccine which is used to boost their immunity. So far so good!..talk to your pediatrician about it

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Knock wood, not my kid!

We have just gotten over 5 weeks of illness. She was the only person in the house who didn't have this weird virus we had. All she's gotten is a minor cold.
    I can deal with that:D

I see your son is 7. I do remember that illness wise, we did seem to get more stuff than we do now. I think a lot of it has to do with hygiene. Kids aren't as good at covering noses and mouths when sneezing, someone else comes up and touches stuff, hands go to mouths.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It definitely doesn't hurt the situation!

Knock wood, my daughter with D has had a good year so far. We joke that she has an immune system with super powers.

We have just gotten over 5 weeks of illness. She was the only person in the house who didn't have this weird virus we had. All she's gotten is a minor cold.
    I can deal with that

I see your son is 7. I do remember that illness wise, we did seem to get more stuff than we do now. I think a lot of it has to do with hygiene. Kids aren't as good at covering noses and mouths when sneezing, someone else comes up and touches stuff, hands go to mouths.

8. StillaMom

StillaMom New Member

My child with T1D doesn't appear to get sick any more than her siblings do, but when she does get sick, its harder for her to recover, and of course it blows all sense of BS control out the window. Stomach viruses are very dangerous. The flu, not so much. She gets the flu shot (so does everyone else in the family) every year. The flu shot raises her BS for about 3 days (day 2 being the worst).

9. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

My daughter is the healthiest kid the house, diabetes aside. She hardly ever gets sick. We joke that her immune system is so good that it killed her pancreas. ;)

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

same here... well she's an only but still, never really catches anything:cwds:

11. coeen

coeen Approved members

My Nic seems to not get sick that much anymore, though he just got over the stomach bug.
    He seemed sick all the time before he was diagnosed.
    I use to miss work all the time before diagnosis.
    Now I rarely miss.

12. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

If anything my cwd gets sick less than my other kids. People with type 1 do not have compromised immune systems. They have over active immune systems.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It is right to look to diabetes as the source of other aliments, but sometimes diabetes isn't the cause. My son has always been quite healthy, other than the diabetes.

14. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana was the only one who didn't get the flu in our house.

15. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I haven't noticed that I get sick more often. I think I get hit a bit harder than other people, but I think that maybe it just feels worse because I'm actually experiencing it first-hand. I also have to take into account that I live in a dorm with 23 other college-age girls.

16. shannong

shannong Approved members

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like my son is just having some bad luck with sickness this year.

17. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Daniel got sick with his first stomach flu last November..It happened after I had been in emergency with the bug and the doctors told me it was going around(thanksgiving time). They were getting lots of people in....unfortunately Daniel got sick with it 2 days later and he ended up in the hospital for 3 days..(I never posted about this)....We had trouble getting rid of keytones, more like starvation keytones. His BG's were good the whole time he was there, he just wouldn't keep anything down and didn't like the hospital food lol..Doctor let him go because his bloodwork was fine, and once at home eating his food his keytones were gone.. He was miserable to tell you, but two days after coming out of hospital he was playing in his soccer playoffs that were being held that weekend...Weakened some, but he gave it his all.. Other than that, he is the healthiest of us all around here..

18. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son actually does get sick a lot, but it's hard for me to quantify if he gets sick MORE than he did before diagnosis or not.

My leanings are that he does NOT get sick more often, it's more that his sicknesses are harder to just soldier on through like we did before. We homeschool so tend to just ignore illnesses for the most part, at least the ones that just lead to sniffles/sinus issues and milder symptoms (which is what he tends to get, often). His blood sugars take a HUGE hit when he's sick, even mildly so, as soon as he eats they shoot up and are stubborn, despite all kinds of changes we've tried (prebolus, strong bolus, extended bolus, etc).

So I personally believe he does not get sick MORE, but when he is sick, it's a bigger deal now so it seems more.

19. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Same here:) I have a killer immune system ( and an immune system that kills!)

20. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I very rarely, if ever, get sick. I am exposed to quite a few things working in the Emergency Department. Coworkers seems to be sick all the time, not me.

However, I was sick quite a bit before diagnoses, and for a few months after. I do think it had to do with the stress of High BGs and post diagnoses stuff.