- advertisement -

Do Americans get charged duty on packages sent to them from canada ?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by C6H12O6, Jan 25, 2014.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I just realized I accidentally declared the value of an item I sent to the US at 400$. Will the American recipient get charged duty on this ?

2. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Yes most likely..If I get stuff from the states sent to me I have gotten taxed before on items. It's a pain..i started driving to the UPS store just over the border 40 min ish drive because it's annoying that we pay an arm and a leg to bring stuff over and vice versa for canadians to send to the states.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I actually shipped the item from Canada to the US. I declared the value at 400$ and checked off gift. I am wondering if American's get charged any type of duty, like Canadian's do ?

4. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Yes they do I believe it's anything over $100 dollars that gets charged duty even if its marked as a gift. When I lived in the states and my grandparents sent gifts we had to pay duty on it.

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Just to update they never got charged duty. That may have been because the contents were test strips, and I wrote the description as "glucose test strips."

6. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

That's good..glad they weren't charged. Duty sucks..I just drive over to ogdensburg if it's too expensive to ship to/from ottawa. We end up doing groceries there as well :)