- advertisement -

Disney World

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by megk23, May 27, 2014.

1. megk23

megk23 Approved members

We're planning a trip to Disney for August. I've heard horror stories of not being able to get carb counts from Disney (WTG with that partnership with Lilly, huh?) Anyway, please tell me someone has a link to some secret, underground, D parent list of carbs for Disney World?

Also, any tips are appreciated. My D kid is my 5.5 year old DS, on MDI (Humalog and Lantus). He's had some crazy lows already this spring due to the heat and activity. I know we'll need to test a LOT more often, which is another reason why no carb counts skeeve me out. I found a number on AllEars.net for a gentleman named Joel to call for help, which I plan on doing. Oh - and a long shot, but we'll be traveling via Amtrak Auto Train if anyone has any idea on carb counts there or tips on that (We've done it multiple times, but not since DX).

(And if there's another board this would fit on, please let me know and I'll be more than willing to move this if possible).

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We went in Feb and nope, no carb counts. BUT, we relied on Figwee (app) and Calorie King and did pretty good.
    My suggestion is err on the side of caution, it will be hot, you will be walking a lot, so I would plan on reducing the Lantus dose to accommodate for that. You probably will also end up giving a lot of free snacks too (that was our experience).
    I can't comment on Amtrak, as we've never done a trip on them.

Don't freak out too much about not having carb counts, it's more common than not in life. Go armed with Calorie King and Figwee (if you have a smart phone) and you should do OK. If you mis-calculate, it's OK, it's only a short time in the big picture, you can fix it.

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I agree. Carb counts are a happy surprise in life and nothing to depend on. I love the Figwee app, and I use one that has something like 100 restaurants in it. If I'm really unsure about something, I can do the old "Who serves corn dog nuggets?" and then look up BW3's and use their number, assuming my local mom and pop hole in the retaurant can't be that different. In our pre-smartphone days, I kept a Calorie King book in our travel bag.

I tend to guess a little high on vacations. My kids want to eat, eat, eat on vacation so fixing a low makes them much happier than having to time out a snack because we're battling a high. For us, lows are a much easier, quicker fix than highs. Plus, my kids are older and can feel lows...when DD was younger, I might have done things differently. It's just so hard to remember anymore :confused:

4. kt_mom

kt_mom Approved members

We've been to Disney many times but December was our first trip after D. We did not have the same experience that others have had with running low. DD ran high almost all week and I actually had to increase Lantus and change carb ratios try to get her under 200 and nighttime was constant corrections to get her down.
    I think it was partly excitement which we've figured out can send her in either direction and eating a lot of restaurant food that was higher in fat.

We used the calorie king app and just tried searching for the general things she was eating like chicken nuggets or waffles. We did a couple of character buffets and since we knew ahead of time what kinds of food she would likely choose we looked them up and made notes on the phone about the carb counts. Then when she would get a plate of food we could figure the carbs quicker and not have to look up each individual thing.

One tip I read, either here or on the disboards, that I wouldn't have thought of was to make sure she always has her meter and sugar. Often we trade off who's riding with her and who's taking DS on something else, and I had planned to carry her stuff in my bag. Rides can break down or lines can end up being longer then you expected and they should always have their meter, sugar and glucagon on them in case of a low.

5. megk23

megk23 Approved members

Yeah we're decent at swag'ing our carbs. It's just frustrating that I can't find anything about them. As family oriented as Disney is, you'd think they'd help out. I'm still going to call the nutrition guy I think so maybe it'll change in the future if more people ask now.

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Sometimes these are the times when carb counts are least important. If you are going to be giving lots of carbs to treat lows then eating too many at a meal just means that less will need to be given later for lows.

7. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We are going for the first time since DX in July. Honestly, I'm just not that worried about it. We swag and make educated guesses all the time anyway because we eat out alot at restaurants that don't have nutritional info so it's not that different than home. In the end, it will be an unusual week and we'll just try to do the best we can at keeping things between the lines.

8. Beach bum

One thing we found this year was that we broke up a lot. I'd have each adult carry a second kit and some sugar, so you don't run into the "I thought you had it, no I thought you had it" situation. Luckily we had the Dex to fall back on, but it would have been nice having the backup meter in my bag. This way, whatever adult she was going with was prepared and we didn't have to shuffle things around from bag to bag. LOL, she refused to carry her kit because she was on vacation!

9. megk23

megk23 Approved members

I've already told every adult that has a bag of any sort they get a juice box and a snack :) We have 2 meters, both which will be taken with us!

It's kind of odd seeing the different reactions from different groups of D parents. I read a blog where the lady had packed a suitcase full of food and her D daughter ate just "their" food since they didn't have carb counts. That's why I was like "Oh, crap, maybe I should be more concerned with finding some".

10. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

whoa. that's crazy!

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Guessing carbs is a vital skill... unless of course you want your kid to live only eating fast food, chain restaurant stuff and never leaving the country. You guess, you learn, you grow. :)

12. Beach bum

The only way I'd ever do this was a)if we were going to a deserted island b)if my kid had a food allergy (and then it would be supplemental). I know carb "guestimating" can be daunting, but you have to live your life as normally as possible. You want to show your child the art of using tools (such as calorie king and fig wee) to figure out carbs on the fly so that they can manage life without bringing a suitcase full of food. I was amazed when at age 9 my daughter said to me that she figured a small apple was x amount of carbs.
    If you have a smart phone, you might want to keep a running list in the notes section. Anything you encounter when you go out, and bolus successfully for, write it down. Then you have a good reference tool.

13. kt_mom

kt_mom Approved members

That makes me so sad. DD is like me and enjoys the eating part of going to Disney as much as the rides and everything else. She loves to help me plan our meals and dream of all the yummy things we'll enjoy each trip.

14. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

That makes me sad too. I was so panicky last year about our trip with no carb counts, but it turned out fine. This year I'm much more relaxed. I agree with whomever said that getting the carbs right isn't even that vital at Disney. There's so much else going on that will affect BG's that the whole process is one big educated guess even if you knew the count to the exact carb. Of course, she was honeymooning strongly last year, so I'm sure that helped . . .

15. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I agree with everyone having sugar. We don't carry juice boxes anymore - too hard to only take "part" of it and we ended up throwing away a ton of half drunk boxes. Try smarties, or fruit snacks, or even skittles (although they get sticky in the heat). We were doing so good with that last trip until hubby grabbed Emma for a trip on the roller coaster in Animal Kingdom - guess what, it stopped!! They took over 20 minutes to come down - they had to walk down from the highest point. He didn't have fruit snack and I was a bit panicked during that time. Its not ideal but I do know he wouldn't hesitate to just stop her pump if he needed to if she was low.

16. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

I created a site called DisneyWithDiabetes.com it is now part of AllEarsNet. it is dated but there may still be some good stuff there.

Go
    Have Fun
    Test regularly to get the rhythm of extra walking and heat.
    Keep having fun.

17. megk23

megk23 Approved members

Badshoe - I've been there several times already, thanks!! I love reading your stuff :)

I was sad that the kid only ate their food (which from the suitcase looked like some junk food? I couldn't really tell and I forget now too. I remember seeing goldfish, but that's it). Mickey waffles and Mickey bars are important for any kid!

We use 15g juice boxes. He won't do a lot of the candies for some reason and gummies melt into a big blob that he then refuses :p 5 year olds, I swear! :)