- advertisement -

Disney World...Ya I have questions...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Midwestmomma, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

1. We are going to be going to Disney World, and cant decide if we want to stay on-site or off-site. Yes, I know about the perks of staying on-site...but still can't decide...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Any good recommendations for off-site places to stay ?? We need the normal 2 bed, fridge, CLEAN room...nothing fancy-dancy.....

2. Has anyone used the water-bladder backpacks while at Disney?? Good/Bad ?? Im wondering if they will get to hot with the sun beating down on them...can you put ice in them somehow? We have never owned one...but may look into getting one for this trip.

3. Any D tricks ?? I know about the GAC card, and that carb counts are not usually available.

I have read over the DisBoards, and AllEars.net. :D

Thanks for anyone that can help us out. *Last time we were there...the kids were to small to remember and they were scared of the characters...:rolleyes:

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

There is Disney with Type 1 Diabetes: http://allears.net/pl/diabetes.htm

I really like staying onsite but I know there are lots of good places off-site also. Have you looked at the value resorts? I'd also check the DIS boards resort board- there is a codes sub-forum and sometimes Disney has promotions. Sometimes requesting their planning DVD will get a PIN code sent to your email or home address in a few weeks.

3. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Okay the benefit of staying on site is the Extra magic hours. That is more park time when people not staying at a disney resort are not able to be in the park. The other major benefit for you is the cost of parking is $15 dollars a day. I like the pop century for the Value resorts. I have not stayed off disney property at all.
    Wendy

4. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

We have been to Disney 3 times and have never stayed on-site - we rent a villa when we go. We do have a large family (there are 6 of us), so that is the main reason. We LOVE the villas - they are beautiful homes with full kitchens and all the essentials - including a washer/dryer (less packing - and you go home with all clean clothes!) The villas we use have converted the garage into game rooms with pool tables and ping pong or air hockey tables - which my boys LOVE. We do a grocery run as soon as we get to Florida - we always eat breakfast at the villa, and we bring our own snacks and water bottles into the parks. We don't buy any food in the parks. We either go into the parks after lunch and stay until closing, or go as soon as they open and leave around dinner time. So we either stop to eat on the way into the parks or on the way back to the villa. We only eat out at restaurants 1 meal each day - the rest of the day is either snacks that I have packed while we are in the park, or sandwiches and munchies at the villa. That saves a fortune on food - and believe me, my boys can EAT!! At the villa, we really feel like we are "home away from home". We have a private pool, which the kids love - they can go for a midnight swim if they want to! My husband and I can relax and watch a movie while the boys play in the game room - we aren't all on top of each other. I throw laundry in at night and fold it real quick in the morning. It is perfect for us - I have already booked a 4 bedroom villa for us for next February and the kids are so excited because it has "THE BEST GAME ROOM YET" (which is what they said after seeing the online pics). There is no way my large family would be happy in a Disney hotel - even squeezing into 2 rooms!

Good luck to you!!

5. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We stayed on site, mainly for the transportation, and then we hated the transportation. The hotel (port orleans riverside) was an awesome value and beautiful, though. We flew and didn't have a car, next time we would have a car and transport ourselves. We do not use that extra hour they are open, the normal opening time is early enough for us, plus whichever park is open early on that given day generally ends up being the busiest, so that is the park we avoid on that day. Even on slow days those parks are crowded! It is a blast, though. I think next time we would get a villa, too.

6. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

The true question is how late do you stay up. I don't generally do the morning extra magic hours. I do the late night ones. I can tell you the later you are at the magic kingdom or hollywood studios for those hours. The less crowded the rides. Many moons ago my nephew was able to ride the newly opened Rockin roller coaster twice. While I continuously walked on the Twilight zone tower of terror multiple times. I believe I rode it 5 or more times in a short period of time. I told the attendant my goal was to ride it 13 times in one day.
    Wendy

7. selketine

I think you'll get as many opinions as people on what is best.;)

I like on-site cause I love the Disney hotels - I still watch my kids in the pool but in those big pools I think the Disney lifeguards are just exceptional. If I lose site of one (they are older now - but one still has diabetes) I don't panic that they are drowning at least. The pools and grounds are beautifully themed and, for me, there is the "Disney magic" of being at Disney.

We generally use some combo of bus and personal car to get around depending on the park and our plans - but I've stayed at 7 of the on-site hotels numerous times from value to deluxe and found the bus service fine at all of them. Free parking at the hotel and the parks comes with your room - so add that to the cost if you are off-site.

Some of my advice might depend on the time of year you are going - summer is hot, afternoon breaks are almost necessary, and the parks are open very late with even later EMH hours. The winter is the opposite unless you are hitting a busy time like Christmas. Those morning EMH hours can be critical during Christmas and spring break - to get you in and riding before the park is open to the public (but you have to be willing to get up early).

I've also stayed off-site- more to save money than any other reason. I'd look for hotels as close as possible to Disney. Check out deals in the Downtown Disney area and in Lake Buena Vista. The last off-site hotel we stayed at was Comfort Inn in LBV - the hotel was only "ok" but the location was excellent and 18 years ago I probably paid $39/night - lol! I like the Kayak search engine for hotels.

If you need more space I've heard rave reviews about some of the house rentals (as mentioned in another post) and the space you get.

It REALLY depends on YOUR family, how you like to tour Disney, what time of year you are there, and your budget and perhaps if you can find a good deal on a Disney hotel.

8. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

Thanks all:)
    We are driving down to Disney, Im scared of flying:eek:, and we want to do a beach somewhere on the way home...maybe in Alabama or pan-handle of Florida.

After many hours of trying to decide on where to stay, and which hotel....I finally just told DH...pick this one..and Book it !! We are staying off-site, the motel is right on Irlo Bronson Drive (or whatever it was). There are many restaurants within walking distance to it too. I know we will have to pay for parking and wont get the extra hours....but I'm ok with that.

The last time we did Disney, like I said, the kids were to small to remember and scared of characters... I am HOPING to be able to kinda go at open..and stay all day tillc close. But I know in my world...this probably wont happen.. I just want to have fun, since we were supposed to go at Christmas and it had to be cancelled due to "T" being in the hospital....

9. selketine

Now that you have a decision, I suggest looking at this Disney planning website you may have seen people on the DIS talking about: http://www.easywdw.com/ You can plan out the least crowded days for what park, etc.

Going all day long from rope drop to close is brutal - unless you are going in the winter when the park hours are short.

I used to recommend Tour Guide Mike (a paid site) but he has been so bad about updating it that it is hard to say it is worth it.

10. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

We have stayed both on site and off. When my kids were younger, I prefered to stay offsite. I loved having 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms as well as a kitchen an washer/dryer. Now that my kids our older we stay onsite. The Contemporary is our favorite. Love the convenience to the parks, the monorail and that the food court and shops are in the same building as well as the monorail.

When we stay offsite, this is were we stay and my in-laws still stay here. It is a nice place, close to the highway to Disney and only around 10-15minutes away as well as close to restraunts and supermarkets.

http://islandone.com/resorts/parkway-international-resort.aspx?expand=true