advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disney World Warning!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ivie's Mom, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Ivie's Mom

Ivie's Mom Approved members

Hello all!

Just wanted to warn everyone about Disney World's "Policy Change" in reference to Type 1 Diabetics. Last week we went and as in the past, went to the Guest Services to get the pass that is given to those with Disabilities. Well to our surprise we were informed that the American Diabetes Association had given them the authorization to no longer give passes to people with Type 1 Diabetics and to just "provide shade" when possible. First of all, as I told them, the ADA is primarily a group which caters to Type 2 Diabetics which we all know is a totally different disease. I also asked them why they were discriminating against kids with Type 1 Diabetes when it is recognized as a disability by the government. Needless to say I was very upset, not only about the policy change based on a group which does not represent our kids, but also at the treatment we received from the Disney employees. We were treated as if we were free-loaders or trying to get something our daughter did not need. It was insulting. Furthermore, they refused to let us see a manager. It was only as we were leaving the Magic Kingdom (in tears) that someone stopped us at the gate and got a manager to come to us. This man finally agreed to give us the pass (which was standard in our past trips to Disney) but told us that we needed to understand that we would not be able to get one in the future and should plan accordingly. I told him, that he obviously did not understand why we were upset, because without the pass we would not be able to plan a trip to an amusement park such as Disney World. Incidently a friend of ours went to Sea World and Universal Studios last week and said they were given a pass at both with no problems. So I say, plan your trips to those parks and not Disney World until they fix this. Let's get the word out and fight this ridiculous move by the ADA!!!

2. Billetdeaux

Billetdeaux CWD Education/Programs

Thank you for posting this. Let me contact the people with whom we work at Disney to find out what is going on. Last summer at Friends for Life when so many kids got sick at Magic Kingdom because of the heat (they were only allowing shade and it was about 100 degrees and very humid), I asked everyone for feedback about their experiences, and I shared it all with the Disney management - all the way up through corporate. I have to say that this really surprises me... but I will get more information and post what I find out. This summer, at FFL we are not going as a group to a theme park because Universal Studios declined to give us so many special assistance passes on a holiday weekend (they said everyone could purchase a front of line pass if they wanted to). Stay tuned.

3. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

Did you have your old pass from last time?

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we've always found "wait in the shade" a perfectly acceptable option and have never needed a pass to the front of the line. We make good use of the existing fast pass system and never (even in July) wait more than 20 min in any line.

This topic always gets heated, but just voicing a different opinion. In one particularly long line (long fast pass line - for soarin) I was allowed to leave the line with Ian so he could go to the bathroom (during a nasty high) and they let us right back in.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I hope disney clears its head and realizes what they are doing.. there needs to be some type of accomidation in the case of bg problems. That doesn't mean skipping to the head of all lines..but having a plan in place and being able to implement that plan when needed.

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Wow - we were thinking of going to Disney this fall as a special treat for Jackson. Kind of "I know diabetes sucks but look, at WDW you get special treatment because of it!" He still has times when he is mad/upset he has D (only to be expected of course, he was just dx in Jan and I'm sure he'll have moments like that his whole life)

But it was nice to know WDW is a place that he could do special things because he has D. Guess we won't be doing that now.

7. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

The shade at Disney in the summer is 100F!!!:mad::(

8. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I agree we have done it both ways. We used a pass at Disney World and mostly used the fast track lines. I like the option at Six Flags where you can get a time to come back but you still have to wait as long as everyone else, just not necessarily in the hot line. To me that is the most fair.

I do think it requires a lot of extra planning on my part to think through all the what ifs but it is doable.

The only park that was the least accomodating was Cedar Point. We fortunately had joined the roller coaster club and therefore it was a special day just for that so certain coasters were only open to those members which greatly shortened the lines. But Cedar Point will not let you leave the line and get back in....Some of their lines were well over 1 hour long.

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

I should have told you Laura that last summer we started out with the "shade" card and I asked a MANAGER in guest services (at the MK) specifically how the card is used at certain attractions. When I got to the first attraction the CM told me something different - she would not honor the card the way the manager at GS had said it would be. So I had to trot back to guest services .... it was a long day!

It will not matter to them if you have your old card - they will generally refuse to look at it. I had one guy imply that I bought it off Ebay.:mad:

That being said, a good touring plan is your best bet and we generally do well with one - I especially like Tour Guide Mike: http://www.tourguidemike.com - the fee for the site costs about the same as a guidebook and I've used his plans for 6+ years and multiple trips and they do work without a lot of park crisscrossing. For some things that alternate entrance guest assistance card has come in handy however - especially now that most of our trips are in the middle of summer.

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm sorry but I don't understand. Why the need for a disabilities pass? We go to amusement parks all the time and it never crossed my mind to ask for a disabilities pass. Just trying to understand.

11. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I would be careful about throwing around the words "discriminating". They aren't saying your child can't do anything because of diabetes - they are allowing you to do everything that other children are - just not in the way you would like it.

A non-diabetic doesn't get a pass to get back into line if they have to go to the bathroom because of all the water they drink when its hot.

Just throwing that out as a difference between discrimination and accomodations.

They may not be accomodating your needs in the way that you like, but they aren't PREVENTING you from being there, and they aren't preventing you from treating your child (insulin, juice, etc), so I would just be careful with throwing around words like discriminating. I would take this from a much more "catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" approach.

We haven't been in the summer, but we've been in the offseason and never felt the need to use one. But, with long lines and heat, we need to make plans for ALL of us to accomodate the heat, not just Emma, because frankly, that heat is too freakin hot for everyone.

12. susan

susan Approved members

Or maybe you work for one of these parks? Your very 1st post was to tell us we should frequent universal and sea world not Disney:rolleyes: Sorry I'm just in a mood today, I can have those right:cwds:

13. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I wasn't aware ADA would step in to disallow the use of passes, or that any amusement park would go to them to ask permission.

14. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Thank you for checking into this, I will stay tuned.
    We are hoping to take Sean next year and it would be nice to know if the pass is available or not beforehand, in case we need it.
    It's a costly trip for us, would hate to have the time ruined by excitement, heat, unfamiliar food, etc... causing erratic bg's and missed opportunities on rides otherwise enjoyed.
    I'd much prefer my son didn't have diabetes and we only had to plan for the heat and humidity like others. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, unlike others it makes a much bigger impact on his day when his bg's go wonky. :(

15. AlexsDad

AlexsDad Approved members

We were at Disney in February and used one of the passes.

I think that Disney's intentions (right or wrong) is to offer the passes to people in wheelchairs. There were a lot of families/groups using the passes who had no obvious physical impairment. There is at least the appearance of widespread abuse of the system.

We used the Fast Pass system as much as possible and, to be honest, when we did use the disability pass we sometimes felt embarrassed to be waiting in a special line with some families who had children with severe physical disabilities.

In a way this is Disney's fault in that they have an all or nothing system. Just because we may have the need to treat a low blood sugar while in line doesn't mean that we should be able to jump to the front of every line. The week that we were there popular rides like Toy Story and Soarin had distributed all of their Fast Passes for the day by 10:00 and had two hour stand-by lines. Even the Fast Pass lines had gotten to be 20 to 30 minutes and it appeared that half of the people getting into the Fast Pass lines had disability passes, while the people in the Stand-by line were continually cut.

There has to be a way to Disney to meet our needs to treat our children if needed while in line, without a permanent pass to the front of the line. If Soarin has a two hour line and we don't have a fast pass, having an employee give us a pass to come back in two hours would be more than fair.

From my perspective, there was widespread abuse of the system during our time at Disney. If a "shade pass" allows a family to leave a long line and return to the line at a set time, I think that's a reasonable accommodation.

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We had those passes for FFL last year and I really think it helped. Not just the shade, but they took us through the exit on some of the rides. By not standing in line for maybe an hour for some rides this helped my two boys from going low sooner. My two cents.:cwds:

I think the long standing not just the sun causes us lows.

Also wanted to comment that sometimes it would be a pass to come back later. THat was fine. Also, this was the first time we have ever had this pass. We had been to Disney about 7 times before thru the years and we managed.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  17. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am not sure about WDW, but when we went to Hershey, it was essential! Two hour + lines for roller coastes in 100 degrees with no shade!

We would go to the exit and get a time to come back, we could only have one time on our card at a time. But it allowed us to not have to stand in line for that length of time. We were able to eat, go on smaller rides, treat lows, and one extreme high. We even had to head back to our campsite to change insulin!

I don't know about other people's T1 kids, but anytime my daughter waits in line for more then 30 or 45 minutes in heat, she either drops down to 40 or skyrockets to 500 - it is never a good #.

18. Ivie's Mom

Yeah I guess although it is kind of insulting because Disney is my favorite place to go on earth and I have actually never even been to those other two amusement parks so the assumption kind of hurts. I kind of thought this website was designed to build each other up through the "highs and lows" not make people want to cry.

Thanks for nothing.

19. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Ivie's Mom: I wouldn't take it personally. This web site is intentionally kept open so that people with family members with diabetes (or fear of it) can find us. But, that has also opened us up to trolls who have come here with the sole intention of hurting the members here. Some have been burned so they are overly cautious. They are especially cautious when someone's first post is on a controversial topic, without introduction, and without details / info in signature about relationship to T1.

BTW: Disney is our favorite place in the world to go too!

20. Ivie's Mom

Life is full of surprises!

Actually, I was kind of expecting more supportive feedback. Some of you were awesome don't get me wrong but to those of you who may not have a child who have tends to go sky high in heat there is not much I can probably do to convince you of the need for the pass. Our daughter plays softball and there are many times she can't even make it through an entire game without having to come out to treat, much less a theme park for a day. If your kid can, great! I wish we were that fortunate. As for me, I think these kids suffer a lot and have a lot of daily challenges and that was always something we could say to her. "Hey, there are advantages" We try to find those and this was a way she felt special and less inhibiting to the day. Although we do our best to make it a non issue there are times that she talks about not being able to do as much in certain situations.

For me it's about the attitude.. And Disney displayed an attitude that I haven't seen there before. And as a rabid Disney fan I was hurt and disappointed.