- advertisement -

Disney Vacation questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kt_mom, Nov 14, 2013.

1. kt_mom

kt_mom Approved members

We leave for Disney in a couple of weeks. We go every year, but this will be our first trip since DD was diagnosed in Sept.

We are still so new to this and I'm a little nervous about what to expect. My mom has asked me several times if I'm sure its a good idea to go and I keep telling her that we are not going to take this trip away from DD. She feels like she's lost so much already. But I do want to make sure we are prepared. Both to keep DD safe and to help it be as normal as possible.

I know to bring along extra of all her supplies especially test strips, I figure we will probably test a lot. And I plan to get the extra glucose meter from my mom's house so we will have two with us just in case. She uses the insulin pen so that will make carrying the insulin around much easier. Any special or different supplies I should plan to have with us and/or carry to the parks each day?

I don't think you can get carb info for Disney World so we will be estimating using the Calorie King app on our phones. We do have a few breakfast buffets planned and I'm a little worried about those. The only buffet we've done at home is Chinese and that was a disaster, she was high for the rest of the day and a good part of the next day.

Her numbers are still all over the place and we seem to be changing her ratios and doses every other week. The last one the NP made was too drastic and I had to adjust it a few days later because she was going high after every meal. She's been pretty good for a couple of days but I expect that will change again as it seems to. I don't think she's had a honeymoon phase at all.

Anyway, I would appreciate any tips or advice you guys have to give. I asked the doctor at the last appointment and they didn't really have much to say about it. Oh and we'll be flying down.

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

Not to worry - plenty of us "do" disney with kid with diabetes. You'll be fine.

My biggest tips are to just bring triple of everything you need, expect that you'll be testing at least twice as much as at home. Always carry your supplies with you - including plenty of fast acting glucose. Utilize lines for resting times (and don't be afraid to test/treat while in line) though, with the time of year you're going, you'll have no trouble with lines.

A frio http://www.coolerconcept.com/case will keep your insulin pens at the proper temp all day (not fridge cold, but not overheating either).

Make sure you bring extra meter batteries.

Utilize the calorie king app, but don't really worry much about the breakfast buffets - it's all "normal" restaurant food. The good part is that with all the activity, and all the walking, you'll probably end up needing less insulin at certain parts of the day. The high fats in most foods in restaurants (and Disney is no exception) is fabulous for balancing that out.

A mickey bar at the end of the night is also a great way to keep night time BGs in check. ;)

And do check at night, even if you don't do it at home.

But otherwise, you'll be perfectly fine. Just remember, vacation is for a week. Diabetes is forever. It's ok to let things slack for a bit while on vacation.

For the TSA, I generally keep all my son's supplies in one backpack and then just hand it off to security and indicate what's in the bag. You will be allowed to carry on whatever you need (and I do recommend making sure you carry on most of your supplies, if not all of them). the TSA.gov website has plenty of info specific for diabetes.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We had planned a trip to Disney a few months after diagnosis. We were going to cancel and our doctor said "I am ordering you to go!":cads:

Disney isn't good with carb counts, so use Calorie King and a great app is Figwee. It gives you plate pictures and you adjust based on serving size.

You can dispose of sharps at any of the first aid stations at any of the parks.
    Bring extras of everything just in case, and keep them all in your carry on. Being that you are on MDI, it's a bit less of a hassle than being on the pump. TSA doesn't even bat an eye when all the syringes and pen caps go through in our bag.

My suggestion is to test often, my daughter can be high one minute and low 10 minutes later when we are at Disney. It's a combo of excitement, walking and standing in the sun. Have fast acting sugar handy. I carry a small backpack with just diabetes supplies. Makes things easier so I'm not digging through my purse.

Most of all?have fun!

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We took a trip to Disney about three months after diagnosis (longstanding plans). I was worried, but everything was great.

I did invest in two frio packs - we dragged the Lantus around with us because we were often still at the park at 9:00pm, her Lantus time - and they worked perfectly, even in the heat of Orlando in June.

I brought tons of sugar - fruit snacks and starbursts melted, smarties were pretty good, but she didn't really need too much. Of course, your situation could be different. It's better to be prepared.

I was freaked out about the concept of "eating out" for three meals a day for seven+ days, but it was fine. It helped that my daughter chose chicken strips with fries for at least one meal a day, sometimes lunch and dinner.

In the end, I think it was really helpful for my diabetes management confidence to take this trip. Yes, I was pushed outside my comfort zone for many meals and had to guess for many foods (looking from Calorie King to the plate: is that a small, medium or large cinnamon roll?) but I learned that guessing isn't as bad as I thought. I also learned to "let go" a smidge while on vacation - I couldn't predict with any certainty whether she would go high or low because of the activity/excitement/heat, but I could deal with each situation as it arose and so that's what I did.

I'm really happy we had it planned; I think you'll have a great trip!

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

^^^Exactly!! This can't be stated enough! You're going to be able to always say, "no big deal, we went away a few weeks after diagnosis."

You will have highs. You will have lows. And in the end, neither really matter much because you'll be teaching your child that life continues on.

6. kt_mom

kt_mom Approved members

Thanks everyone!

We do night test and I'll make sure to test extra during the day too while we are there.

We get to the parks early and DD and I like to stay late sometimes so I'll make sure to bring the Lantus back with us to the park each evening just in case. I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to get some of those frio packs to carry the pens and the lantus.

I downloaded the Figwee app and it looks very helpful. I'm going to have DD get it on her phone too, I think it will be great for her.

7. kt_mom

kt_mom Approved members

Thanks that's encouraging, we're struggling with that right now. DD is still so emotional about her diagnosis. She cries every other day if not every day sometimes. We've tried hard to keep things as normal as possible and do things we did before like go get frozen yogurt after school sometimes and have pizza on friday night and stuff. She's just having a really hard time.

8. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

When we went a few years ago they put a sharps container in our room. We didn't ask for one the cleaning lady must have seen all the hazmat.

Buffets we usually pre-bolus part, what we know she'll for sure eat. Then keep track and bolus for the rest of what she's actually eaten after. It's not the greatest way to do it but it gives her the freedom to just eat what she feels like, just like everyone else at the table.

Have a wonderful time.

9. kt_mom

kt_mom Approved members

Thanks, that's a great idea for the buffets. She will have a good idea of her favorites at each place and we can plan for those and then just keep track of seconds or anything extra.

10. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

You should be fine. Our kids ate mostly chicken nuggets & fries as it was offered on the meal plan for kids as there wasn't much choice. Buffets are good as they offer a nice variety of proteins, salads, there is always something for the kids to eat and doesn't necessarily be too hard to figure out the carbs (weve been pumping for 7 years so Im good at eyeballing it on some things.

Don't forget you and your child will be very active which I know helped my daughter's BS from not getting too high.

Be sure to check BS often and especially before going on a long line or crazy ride.

Be sure to take frequent breaks w/ small snack and a lower carb drink that she can sip here and there to keep her from going low.

Go to the park early in the morning and leave in the early afternoon, go back at night. Eat lunch around 11:30 in the parks in one of their nice air conditioned restaurants, before places get too packed. Also after everyone has had some food in their tummies they feel much better and able to go for a few more hours in the park in the afternoon. We used to go around 9:00 to about 1 or 2:00 in the afternoon, go back to our resort for a few hours and sometimes go back to parks later on. We stayed at a monorail resort to make this much easier on everyone.

Have supplies including candies in your bag so it is easy to access.

The Mickey ice cream bar is a nice before bed snack.

11. KellersMom517

KellersMom517 Approved members

You'll be GREAT!! We are going on a Disney Cruise and doing 6 days at WDW in January:)

Like everyone said - bring extra and test extra. Disney I have heard is craptastic with carb counts, but I'm lucky that my son eats a variety of approximately 5 different foods while we are there. :)

If your DD is having a hard time with her diagnosis, a trip like this will be just what she needs to see she can still have it all! Have fun!!

And check out easywdw.com for park recommendations for each day - that makes a huge difference in the lines and waits. Did you do MagicBands and FP+ yet?

12. kt_mom

kt_mom Approved members

We usually head back to the pool in the afternoon although last year in December it was too cold except for one day to swim. I'm hoping for better weather this year!

We usually do a late breafast/brunch and eat only a very light or no lunch at all. I guess I'll have to have something in the room that DD can eat for breakfast before we head out to the park each day.

That's what I've read other places, that they can't/won't give you carb counts. But I've always heard they are so good with every other kind of dietary issue. It surprises me that they seem to have dropped the ball on this completely.

I love easywdw.com. I used to use touring plans and I still check their info, but I like easywdw.com the best.

We did our FP+ last month and the magic bands came last week. They are pretty cool. DD was excited to try it on.

She has had such a hard time with the diagnosis. I'm hoping the trip will be a good thing for her since she has been looking forward to it all year.

13. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

We're at Disney now, and haven't had any diabetes-type issues. His numbers have been pretty even - the combo of wacky eating and lots more walking works for him :)

I was nervous on our first trip with diabetes, but quickly found it was no big deal. This is our third, and it's still not an issue. Now our 3 year old with dwarfism is a whole different issue...... There's no explaining that you can't ride something everyone else can because "you're too little" :(

14. Mish

Mish Approved members

What I would not do, do NOT mention diabetes on any of your ADRs if you make them. They'll make a big production out of bringing your child nothing but fruit. All they understand is diabetes means no 'sugar'. So unless you want someone standing behind her at the buffets directing her away from the waffles, don't even bother mentioning it. You'll get nowhere.

And yes, they're great about every other food related issue, just not carb counts.

Have fun. You've actually got the hardest part down already; knowing how to effective 'do' disney. The diabetes will be pretty basic LOL. :)

15. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Well, we were further along than you when we went in 2006. DD was diagnosed in January and we went in August.

I think my biggest advice is just to take plenty of supplies, way more than you think you will need and check far more often.

I would also advise taking all basic supplies with you to the park and carrying them with you. Carry a big fanny pack if you have to (I did, it was totally dork but I didn't care). Have your dd also carry a small bag and make sure she has it on all rides. Rides get stopped/stuck sometimes and maybe even more than a few minutes. You don't want to be stuck without supplies.

IMO don't worry about getting out of line etc to check. Check and treat wherever you may be. If they need to sit down while waiting in line, so be it.

I didn't really inform the restaurants of her diabetes. No need to really. They won't provide carb counts so what's the point?

16. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

The one thing I would say about the ADR's if you but T1D on them, they are very very good than about making sure you get a table when your reservation is rather then 20-30 minutes later which seems to be normal for Disney when they are busy, so It can be helpful from that standpoint

17. RyRysMama

RyRysMama New Member

Pass

I have been told there is a pass you can sign up for to make waiting in line at the park less of a hassle

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

They have changed the program due to abuse and misuse of the old system. Here is Disney's info on the current program:
    http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...r-walt-disney-world-resort-disneyland-resort/

Fast Pass and a good touring program probably is just as convenient now. We downloaded 2 apps onto our phones, Touring Plans and Wait times were very useful. I think if you plan your day out well you should be fine. Just test frequently and have items on you at all times to treat for lows, water for highs. Do bathroom breaks before getting into longer lines. The one bonus is that it's not as hot now, so it's a bit easier to stand in the sun in line.

19. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Disney does not give carb counts (I think for liability reasons), but they are happy to tell you what a serving size is.

When we went a few months after dx -- and we're old Disney pros, so no worries about getting around or how to ask for help, etc. -- we put the T1D on all of our dining reservations. This prompts a chef to come out and speak with the guest. That's how I found out that they'll give you a basic serving size.

20. DadofT1

DadofT1 New Member

New onset, we're going to Disneyland

Hello everybody, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 earlier this month and we already had plans to go to Disneyland early next year. I'm happy to have found this forum (via Google) and see how other parents are managing.