- advertisement -

Disney pass for rides?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StageMom, Jun 2, 2011.

1. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

My son uses the Omnipod and we will be at Disney World next week. I plan on leaving the pod on and I will not suspend insulin during rides. If he is running lower from the activity, heat, humidity, I will set temp basals. I visit with other omnipod users on fb and I have found only one who had a problem at amusement parks ( a pod being dislodged while riding bumper cars). I plan on putting the pod on my sons arm (back of upper arm) and wrapping with coban to prevent this from happening.

2. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

To get back to the original question ...... :)

We got a guest pass back when our daughter was in a stroller and it was definately worth it because we always had our supplies shaded and with us.

About a year or two ago, there was a similar thread, with similar responses. People feel strongly both ways, so it really is personal preference. But there was a comment from a mother who did not get a GA pass for her daughter and her daughter had a TERRIBLE time at DW because she was running high and could not stay in the long lines because she was drinking so much water. I would certainly think that both Disney and her daughter would have appreciated her having a GA pass so her experience and memory of DW was better.

3. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

They don't have "line passes" unless a guest is very obviously "differently abled", i.e. - in a wheelchair with neurological problems. They give out "shade passes".

We went - got a pass - never used it. We didn't even tell Kyle we had it. I will never waste that 20 minutes it took me to get it ever again. Kyle has been 3 times since dx (twice in the HOT) and we have never had an issue. I know YDMV, but most rides are inside or in the shade and there are cold drinks (diet and full-sugar) everywhere.

4. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

AWESOME plan! Temp basals worked great with K. We never unhooked his pump. Oh, and I saw a girl there with a Pod with the exact same placement! Have fun!!!

5. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Just to limit confusion -- all passes are called "Guest Assistant Cards", or GACs. You don't get a different card for each need. On the actual card, the Cast Member who issues it will stamp or write what accomodations the guest requires.

If you need a quiet area to wait, or a shaded area to wait, or an air conditioned area to wait, that's what your GAC will say.

Here's a card someone uploaded to their blog:
    [​IMG]

In fact, the whole article at "Disabled and Productive" is worth a read:
    http://www.disabledandproductive.co...bility-disability-in-and-around-disney-world/

This card comes from 2009, but it looks exactly the same in 2011.

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we're just back from disney. Honestly, "alternate" lines wouldn't have done diddly squat for us. We needed "alternate temperature zone for the entire state of florida" card, and they don't give those out. The time spent in line was minimal (and it was crowded) but with good planning we never waited longer than 20 min for anything. Ok, peter pan, we waited 25. Even the big rides we just got our fast passes and returned when we'd have no wait. It's the other 90% of the park day that is problematic. And they simply don't give passes for that.

As for the rides, we did unhook on RnRc but we mistakenly thought there were magnets on launch. It stayed secure in his spi belt (both times). We never even thought of the WedWay People Mover until we were done, but that's good to know it's not an issue either. We did Mission space green and Ian skipped out on ToT.

We only had one night of lows and that was after somehow misbolusing for a large desert of two brownies, ice cream and sauce. Go figure. Otherwise we fought food highs most nights.

No adverse reactions other than we have an endo today.