- advertisement -

Disney pass for rides?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StageMom, Jun 2, 2011.

1. StageMom

StageMom Approved members

Has anyone gone to Disney in FL and gotten a pass for their T1 for the rides so that they didn't have to wait in long lines in the heat? This is our first summer with T1, and we've had some hot, humid days the last two weeks here in PA. B has had several lows in the heat along with activity, and it seems like he is just totally washed out. Just seems it doesn't take much. Someone mentioned about these passes, and since we're going to Disney in three weeks, I was wondering if it was something I should look into. Any suggestions? Thanks so much for your help.

Janet

2. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I would definately get one. have a great time.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Someone on here recently said that the Disney passes aren't as good as they used to be. Now they basically just let you wait in the shade (if there is shade). They don't bump you to the front of the line anymore. Maybe someone who knows more about this will chime in.

4. StageMom

StageMom Approved members

Thanks. Someone told me that they give them to people with D, but someone else told me they didn't. I was just wondering if anyone on the board knew anything info about them?

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

6. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

When you go to ask for the pass you need to be very specific about your needs. I would at least get one that allows for waiting in an airconditioned area. The shade in florida is nothing.
    Wendy

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Have been to Disney several times since dx, never gotten a pass. If she is low, I treat in line. If she is high, I treat in line. It is not that hard. As for the heat, I did what I normally would do, have her drink lots of water, take breaks inside, etc. Not a big deal.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  8. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

We are going next month...and I plan on getting a pass...may not have to use it, but if needed we will have it in advance.. Hope you all have fun !!:)

9. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I hate the idea of using guest assistance cards. "Oh yes, you have diabetes...you can do anything you want! Except wait in lines, that's so strenuous it might push you right over the edge." I'm not into "playing the diabetes card" unless absolutely necessary.

10. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I think whether or not you get a pass is up to you. It has to be decided on a case by case basis. While one person may not want a pass another may need it and use it or need it just in case. I think it is definitely worth looking into.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I started the thread Sarah refered to. We were at Disneyland so it was hot but not humid and smaller We did get one, however the person at Guest Services did not want to give it to us. Told us Fast Pass is the way to go. I explained that I would trade diabetes in a minute for my kid to be able to stand in line and not faint (she has trouble with heat, legs are the first to go if she's low). He reluctantly gave us one. Things worked out that we didn't use it (which was our preference). We did more planning and used fast pass when we could. We also did early hours and rode rides during shows and fireworks.

The pass basically allowed us to enter through the exit (for Disneyland and CA Adventure at least), and you would be boarded at an appropriate time. I would have been fine if they noted the people who were in line before us and we waited and got on after those people. I didn't want an express entry to the ride, I just wanted shade and cool for my daughter to wait. I did notice though that those who did use the assistance cards got on in a fairly timely fashion.

I don't feel we played the diabetes card here at all. My kid can do anything, however at this point in her life she can't tolerate standing for long periods in the sun when it's hot. I know by our next trip in 2 or 3 years we won't e ven consider it.
    Do what you think is best for your child.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

You are an adult. You have more stamina. It's harder for some kids.
    We parents hate the idea of guest cards too, but for some of our kids it is too hard to stand in the sun and wait, and yes, it can push them over the edge. IMO this isn't playing the diabetes card at all. It's asking for help in making things a bit more bearable for our kids.,

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've used a GAC before. I'm not sure what the queue times are like at Disney, but at some of the theme parks over here queue times go over 2 hours for some of the bigger rides. There is just no way I can keep my pump off for that length of time - I get really sick from ketones really quickly. There is nothing I could do with my pump if I kept it on in the queue.

14. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

We have never gotten a guest assistance card for Kaylee and she has been to Disney multiple times. However, she is still in a stroller, and we can carry her around if we need to, so she is not doing as much walking as older kids.

I would suggest trying to use the fast pass system to your advantage, go to the parks in the early a.m./later at night, carry a meter and some glucose tabs around with you at all times, and you should be fine! If you find that diabetes is causing a major issue in your trip, then sure, go to guest services and ask for a guest assitance card.

I hope you enjoy your trip!!!

15. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We are going to disney in two weeks with two type 1 kids. We are getting a GAC, we will use it when we need it and if we don't need it, we won't! It has never been a "front of the line" pass, but it does get us through the lines fairly quickly. We had one low bg episode in line last year where Sam was just a mess, it hit quickly and hard, I think it was a fast drop. He was (me too) disturbing people in line with wanting to sit down and eat and I was trying to make sure that he was ok at the same time trying to respect the fact that others in line did not want to have to walk around him and what not....we got out of line, showed the pass to the attendent. We treated Sam, got bg back up and then the attendent let us go through the fast pass line. Times like those are what we use the pass for.

16. selketine

selketine Approved members

If your child is stroller age then you can request to use the "stroller as a wheelchair" - this can be helpful as you can keep it with you in the que - with the supplies - until you are ready to board the ride. I found it helped with the BG - less exercise to make him go low. He also has low muscle tone so too much walking/standing and stairs was very hard on him especially when he was little.

YDMV on that - depends on if your kid likes a stroller!

We had a GAC for shade and that was fairly useless. Most areas where you need one don't have an airconditioned waiting area so I don't know how one that says AC on it works.

Also good is to have a touring strategy. This is free and looks promising: http://www.easywdw.com/ They have touring plans and recommendations for least crowded parks on certain days. Generally if your kids are early rises get up and be there at rope drop and go hard until noon. Otherwise if you are onsite try taking advantage of evening EMH but you need to plan to stay until the end (which can be 2am at peak times) - I think the ques are long at the start of the EMH but at least the sun isn't up.

17. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

I don't think there is anything wrong with "playing the diabetes card". Our kids have been dealt a crappy hand, and if they can get a little something back from the world in exchange it's small compensation and the rest of the world can suck it!!

Did I really just say that?

18. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Totally agree with you. We've used the guest pass at Disney World a few times. The lines, especially in summer, are ridiculous. Shade makes no difference, and without it you can wait in line for an hour or more and just before you get on the ride the kid is high/low and you have to start all over. We have always used the fast pass when it was available, gone on popular rides early in the am, etc. But when the lines are long we use the guest pass with no guilt. Usually we use the exit/handicapped line. Was standing in that line once and a mother in back of us, with a child who also showed no signs of a handicap, said she felt guilty looking at the long, long line of people waiting to get on. My response to her was similar to your statement - I would trade that 'special' guest pass to anyone on that line who was willing to take the diabetes along with it. Somehow I don't think we'd get a taker for that deal.

19. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I totally understand what you are saying, and I have felt that way myself a few times. The thing that I would worry about with promoting this kind of attitude is the feeling of entitlement or the "poor me" world view that it may create in the child. I don't want my daughter thinking that she is owed anything because she has diabetes. Not directing this at you, just a general statement.

20. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I guess I feel like if you're at Disney World you've already been dealt a "better hand" than many people. Everyone has their own problems, so I don't feel the need to try and "even the stakes" by cutting lines (and yes, that is everyone's goal whether you'll come right out and say it or not). We go on about how people with diabetes can do everything, and post pictures of kids playing soccer, swimming, rock climbing, etc. But then you tell kids they're too sick to wait in line? It just doesn't make sense to me. Sure, the person you're waiting in line behind might not trade diabetes, but they might willingly trade all of their problems for all of yours. I just think naturally problems kind of even out over the course of a lifetime. I've never taken my pump off for a ride, except a water ride, and even then I've taken if off right at the ride and left if in a cubby and told the attendant to keep an eye on it. That's always worked for me, then I don't need to worry about being without insulin for two hours in line.