- advertisement -

Disney Magic Bands and insulin pumps and CGMS...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We just got magic bands for an upcoming Disney trip and I noticed in the box it carries a warning about medical devices such as insulin pumps. It doesn't say not to wear them, but it does have a HF radio frequency.

Do you know if you can safely wear one with an Animas insulin pump and Dexcom?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think I'd call Dexcom and animas rather than trust Disney to know. Most likely it's just a disclaimer on their part.

3. Beach bum

Plan on doing that, hoping someone might have gone just recently and can give a heads up.

4. Ali

Ali Approved members

Sidetrack but what are Disney Magic Bands?
    Ali

5. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We should be getting ours soon, I'd be interested to know what the answer is.

6. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

We have been recently and used the magic bands. My son and daughter both wear omnipods and dexcom. We had no problems! The bands worked great. No complaints from us!

7. Beach bum

Good to know. Calling both Animas and Dex today, will post there response here.

8. Beach bum

It is a program that WDW is rolling out. If you are staying on property, they combine park tickets and room key info onto a silicone bracelet. You can tie in your credit card and charge things too. Very Star Trek:para:, you just wave your bracelet pass the scanner and it takes whatever info is needed. I don't know enough about their information safety to confidently add my credit card, but I like it for everything else.

9. Mish

Mish Approved members

You don't actually have to wear them either - you can just carry them in a bag if you want. :)

10. Beach bum

LOL, when I suggested that you would have thought I was canceling the trip!

Just talked with Animas and they said that the most that would possibly happen is that blousing through the meter might be problematic, meaning interruptions. So, no biggie, we can always bolus via pump.

11. kt_mom

kt_mom Approved members

That's good to know. We were just there in December but DD didn't have her dexcom yet and we're still on MDI.

I didn't put our credit card on it either. I just didn't feel comfortable doing that.

As far as wearing them, DH, DD and myself wore ours in the parks. DH and I took ours off at night and to swim, but I think DD kept hers on all the time. I kept DS's attached to my park bag that I carry all week. He wanted his on at first but got tired of it quickly. It was easy enough to hold it up to the scanners for park entry and FP but we had to remember to pass it off if we were splitting up. DH often took DS back to the room for awhile and would come back and meet us at the park later. He forgot DS's band a few times and we had to go to the front to meet him so DS could get in the park because I also had all the hard copy tickets in my bag as well.

12. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

We were there 2 months ago, and had no issues with the magic bands. We use dexcom and Omnipod, and both were fine.

13. Beach bum

Heard from Dexcom last night and they do not track problems with the bands and the Dex. However, they did suggest the recommended 9 inches away from device. Also requested that we report any issues if they arise so that they can keep track. But, the tech said he did not anticipate any issues due to the way the Dex communicates with sensor/receiver.

And, as I posted earlier, Animas said that the most we may encounter is a problem with interrupted bolusing.

14. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

My understanding is that the MagicBand doesn't itself transmit. Instead, the readers (that you use to access your ticket, your room, your FastPasses, and to make room charges) will do the communicating to the MagicBand -- and those are descrete, controllable moments where you are placing the MagicBand directly against the reader, and that's a delicate process requiring you having the band right up against the reader and flat to it. I doubt, from my experience, that a glancing "nearness" to the pump would do much of anything.

But that's just my opinion/experience.

15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I read this

"Efficient? Perhaps. But post-Snowden, some worry that Magic Bands are nothing more than NSA-esque tracking devices. The MyMagic+ system is designed to track users’ purchasing habits, and if parents agree to certain settings, employees playing characters in the park can use hidden sensors to track children and their information; so Goofy can walk up to a child and say something like, “Hi Bobby. Happy birthday.” Pretty creepy. Plus, others worry that someone might be able to hack your band and thus access your hotel room and credit card."
    http://entertainment.time.com/2014/01/02/disney-nsa-style-magic-bands-theme-park/

QUOTE=Caldercup;855713]My understanding is that the MagicBand doesn't itself transmit. Instead, the readers (that you use to access your ticket, your room, your FastPasses, and to make room charges) will do the communicating to the MagicBand -- and those are descrete, controllable moments where you are placing the MagicBand directly against the reader, and that's a delicate process requiring you having the band right up against the reader and flat to it. I doubt, from my experience, that a glancing "nearness" to the pump would do much of anything.

But that's just my opinion/experience.[/QUOTE]

16. Caldercup

Yes, and those "readings" happen when you pass close to certain things -- in the case of meeting Talking Mickey (which is the only place the technology interface is in place for a character to address you by name, as far as I know), you pass through a turnstile and your MB is read. (It requires a FastPass+ and that requires additional technology, from either the MagicBand or the MyDisneyExperience app.)

I do understand that the Big Brother aspect concerns some people. For me, I see it as Disney's way of optimizing my enjoyment of their parks. They (and my credit card company) already know my purchases. When I enter a park using my Annual Pass, they know I've entered the park. When I use my AP to get a FastPass, they know that, too. What the MB is amazing at going is helping Disney understand crowd flow and wait times, and how to switch things up so that the guest experience is optimized.

I see the MB as just another step in that process, and I'm not the least concerned that the NSA is going to track that Splash Mountain is my favorite ride.

17. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I don't think time magazine would report that the bands can be used for the character performers to interact with kids if it was not possible. It sounds like they fact checked.

I think they sound okay, the Time article is just something I found when I looked up the MBs.

18. Beach bum

:glee:
    LOL, and can tell that Candy Crush is my favorite game to play while waiting in line for Splash Mountain!

19. Caldercup

I'm a moderator over on a Disney board and have stayed pretty much on top of what the MagicBands can and can't do. They are *expected* to be integrated into many things as they roll out more features, but, since they're are still officially in the testing phase (and have been for several months now), not all things they are reported to be able to do some day are actually in practice at this very moment.

As of right now (January 2014), there is only one place that I know of where a character meet-n-greet requires the use of the MagicBand. (In this case, it's "Talking Mickey," and he's very unique in that he has an animatronic head and actually speaks to guests in Mickey's voice while his mouth moves. He's only at one location in all of the parks and it's at this one location where that character might be given the child's name via the data on the MagicBand.)

I've actually read the patent for MBs and they look to be heading towards some pretty cool stuff. But not all of it is in place yet.

I had the opportunity to try the MBs out last November and really enjoyed the freedom they gave you. My only complaint was that it was hard to get the RFID part of the band up against the reader properly. That's why I'm fairly confident that it will take concerted effort to have the MB interfere with pumps -- you have to be in really specific close proximity to do anything.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Sounds like you are in the know about this product, and Time was confused on some of the current capabilities.

I think it sounds really neat, I hope to be able to go back one day soon. Do I have to be staying at an onsite hotel to get one ?

With my credit cards they have a pin # on them (if you use the chip.) Do the bands have pin #s ?

I could see why people would like to not have to carry a credit card around, but as a diabetic I have to carry so many things anyways.