- advertisement -

Disney/Flying Question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by pennjewel, Dec 7, 2015.

1. pennjewel

pennjewel Approved members

I haven't posted in a long time and I apologize for another Disney question! I did try and look up previous threads and got an answer about flying with the Ping. Will there be any problems at the airport with the Dexcom sensor and transmitter? I'm thinking maybe I should request a pat down, but am unsure. This will be the first time flying with our 8 year old t1d. Also, as far as Disney is concerned, I just have a question with what others did carrying around diabetic supplies. I thought someone had told me once that I would have to hand over her supplies to a ride operator before she gets on....is this true? Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you!!!

2. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

We didn't have to hand over any supplies.

3. dpr

dpr Approved members

We flew a lot this summer. We had no problem getting any supplies trough. We took her pump off and left Dex on. You can carry supplies is a separate bag that does not count as carry on.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We've flown with the Ping and with the t:slim. We typically would set off the metal detectors with the Ping - I think it has more metal than some other pumps. So, after trying several different procedures, what we do now is I have her take off the pump as we are putting our stuff on the belt. I hand it to the operator and ask them to hand check it - that it should NOT go through xray. Dexcom receiver just gets thrown in a bag. She walks through the metal detector without setting it off.

They will typically swab her pump and make sure it doesn't have bomb making materials and then give it right back. No pat downs. No scattergrams.

You will also need to declare to them you are carrying any supplies that might look suspicious - like an ice block in a cooler for insulin, juice boxes that add up to more than 3ounces outside of the clear plastic bag. It's all allowed. It just goes faster if I tell them in advance everything that might look suspicious. We just travelled over Thanksgiving and both trips through security went quick and easy.

5. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

If you are on Facebook, check out the group Tips for Special Needs At Disney. They have tons of great advice.

6. pennjewel

pennjewel Approved members

Thanks everyone!