- advertisement -

Disney and Type 1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by deibster, Jul 27, 2011.

1. deibster

deibster New Member

We leave for Disney World this week and I am worried about the heat and my 11 year old's pump. I purchased a pump frio bag but she is not too happy about wearing it. Should I plan on making her wear it?? Also, would you wear the pump on all the rides? It's a Revel. What else should I be worried about?

New to this site. Thanks for your help.

2. Traci

Traci Approved members

Welcome!

We went to WDW in June and had a wonderful time. Ds10 is on Omnipod, so we didnt use a frio bag and he kept his pod on for all the rides. We took insulin to the park and left it and site change supplies at the first aid station each day and picked it up when we left at night. Worked out great. We did need to do a site change at Epcot, and having a nice clean room that was cool was a good break. Staying hydrated was hard, but other than that the trip was great. Hope you all have a blast!

3. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

I did not personally use the frio bag for the pump itself. Just tucked the pump in my pocket out of sunlight. This worked well, but I did need to change site and insulin at least every 2 days to make sure the insulin wasn't skunky from the heat. I did use the frio bag for my back up insulin ( opened vial) and it worked great.

4. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

We just changed the insulin/reservoir every night. Worked well.

5. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

We just got back from WDW on Sunday.. We did not use the Frio bag the first 2 days there but we had rotten numbers so we changed everything and started using the frio and that seemed to help, but with that being said, I don't think it was really the heat, I think he was ready for a site change.. We live in Texas and the weather here is alot worse in Florida.. But we had a blast and he left his pump on for all rides and he rode just about everything there even the roller coasters and Tower of Terror!!

6. Zymotic

Zymotic Approved members

I know with the ping you are not supposed to wear the pump on amusement park rides. Haven't researched why but I would suspect g-forces might come into play and either increase or decrease the insulin delivered.

Update:

Couldn't find anything on the revel website but found this on the animas website:

Question: What precautions do I need to follow at an amusement park ride with my pump?

Answer: Very powerful electromagnets are sometimes used on “free-fall” amusement park rides. Insulin pumps should be removed and not taken on these “free-fall” types of rides.
    High gravity forces can be experienced when riding on some roller coasters. It is recommended that you disconnect (NOT suspend) the pump while on roller-coaster rides.

Also, an older thread concerning amusement park rides: http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=63812

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  7. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

My son uses the ping and he wore his pump on all rides, including g-force type rides at Disney with no problem, granted that does not mean you won't have a problem, but we didn't..

8. suz

suz Approved members

We had no problems when we were there earlier this month. DS has an Animas Ping, I did get a pump Frio but never used it.

I read somewhere else on this forum a suggestion to prime out the insulin in the tube every night, which we did and we had no issues. Plus we only put enough insulin in to last a couple of days.

The only ride we disconnected for was Space Mountain.

It's a controversial subject, but don't forget to get your Guest Assistance Card (GAC). You can search these forums for info on it. It's a personal choice whether to get one or not, but for us it was a life saver and enabled us to have a fun day with virtually no worries about waiting in line in the heat.

Have fun!

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

Tower of Terror at WDW does not use magnets I'm told. The rides that use magnets you would never suspect (like the People Mover!) - and maybe Rock n' Roller Coaster. William has rode all the rides there and we didn't change anything.

YMMV on how well the insulin stands up to the heat. You can always change out the insulin cartridge and tubing if needed - and leave an extra at First Aid. Some parks seem more hot than others - just the time outside perhaps.

You can also request a Guest Assistance Card - do a search here to learn more about that. The BEST idea is to use a good touring plan if you don't know Disney very well - so you can avoid the heat and long lines (I like http://www.easywdw.com). The GAC can help you out at times though.

Of course you have to read Disney with Type 1 Diabetes: http://allears.net/pl/diabetes.htm

10. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

The rides you have to worry about when wearing a pump are those with a "magnetic induction" launch, according to the Animas User's Manual. At Disney, that means you need to not only disconnect but actually have someone else (not on the ride) hold the pump while your T1D rides Rock'n'Rollercoaster at the Hollywood Studios or the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (formerly known as the WEDway People Mover).

For the rides with big g-forces (Mission:Space, Expedition Everest, Test Track, etc.) many people suggest just simply disconnecting for the ride itself and then reconnecting when it's over. The idea is that the g-forces could push insulin down the tubing and into the body. (They just let the insulin drip and don't suspend the pump)

As for the GAC, just know that the Cast Members in the Guest Services venues will want to know WHY you want the Guest Assistance Card, and specifically how it will help your child manage their park experience. In our case, I finally asked for one after we had to leave several long lines because my son went very bady low and needed to sit down for a while. I asked if it was possible to wait somewhere outside of the lines where I could treat him and let him recover (at the time, he got really faint and shaky if he dropped below 75). I was given a GAC with a stamp for "Alternative Entrance." For the most part, we were totally able to do all of Disney with only the FastPass system, but there are a few FastPass entrances that are still problematic if you need to make a quick getaway.

11. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I personally have ridden every ride at WDW. I have never removed my insulin pump for any ride. I do make sure it is well in my pocket of my shorts or zipped in an pouch. I actually only removed my pump for the waterpark. I have a ping but knew I would be riding rides that wouldn't function well with the ping. I have done this multiple times.
    Wendy

12. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

That's exactly what we did.

13. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

This is such good advice, especially if it will be very hot. IME the intense heat not only adversly impacts the insulin, but impacts my CWD as well.

14. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I'm glad it's worked for you. Just know that the magnetic induction could actually damage the pump. It's not that it just won't function during the ride, but that it can be harmed.

Personally, I don't want to worry about voiding my warranty by ignoring Animas' instructions, so we remove the pump and have someone hold it for the magnetic induction rides. For the others, he just disconnects, but keeps the pump on him.

15. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

I had NO idea the Transit Authority ride in Tomorrowland was magnetic induction. Never even thought about it. Oops.

16. selketine

selketine Approved members

Well if that was going to fry an Animas pump it would have done it because William used to ride that continuously when he was younger - round and round and round. The CM's just let us stay on cause it usually wasn't busy.

I think with the FFL at WDW every other year and in Orlando every year in the past many years - and so many of us going to Disney with pumps - I've never heard a report of anyone having an issue with a pump of any type on the rides there.