- advertisement -

Disney and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MHoskins2179, Mar 16, 2013.

1. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Hey everyone!

I thought this would be a great place to hear the parents' perspectives on this month's DSMA Blog Carnival topic:

I wrote a post on this over at DiabetesMine on Friday, and had a lot of fun with it! Since we already have Coco the Monkey with diabetes (a girl), I thought it'd be fun to have a boy D-character - so I made up Beta, The Mouse with Diabetes! Plus some fun ways other existing Disney characters could be a part of a bigger D-focus. May not be everyone's thing, but I had a blast and loved this Disney D-topic that came up from a past Twitter chat.

Thought the CWD forums would be a great place to see some discussion from all you superhero D-parents, with your own ideas about creating a new Disney D-character! Would also be interesting to hear any thoughts you or your own CWDs might have had about Coco...

Thoughts?

Oh, and the DSMA site has some links to other posts that have explored this creative topic.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Except that mice with diabetes get cured all the time, so.......

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

LOL :p

MTS

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

Hahahahaha! :D

5. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

Has there ever been anything with Coco, after the initial announcement? I've seen her on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, but nothing diabetes related. My kids are Disney fanatics, and would think a character with diabetes was pretty cool.

6. MHoskins2179

As Kerri Sparling tweeted: "A mouse. And I'd never, ever cure it. #revenge"

Love that.

7. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

There are several books out with Coco. Have also seen her on Mickey Mouse clubhouse and they have her at the first aid stations in the parks too

8. MHoskins2179

Lilly says those Coco books are going to go online at some point to buy, but not exactly sure when. That will be great to give more people access to them, rather than just having to rely on someone knowing about them and asking local Endo or CDE to track them down.

On one hand, I think it's GREAT that Coco is in the parks anywhere... but then I question whether it's OK to have her specifically and only at first aid stations. I don't want kids/or non-D parents to think of some first-aid emergency every time D comes up. It's a start, I guess, but I'd rather see Coco (and any other Disney D-character) out and about just living life, playing and riding rollercoasters and showing off the fact that YCDT!

9. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

She may be elsewhere in the park too, but that was the one place I saw her for sure. We will look more when we get there next week and see if we can spot her, will be a good game for our daughter kinda like searching for hidden mickeys!

10. MHoskins2179

Here's official response I received from Lilly Diabetes:

"Coco was first seen on the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cartoon on the Disney Channel, but she did not and does not have diabetes in the cartoon. Lilly Diabetes is working specifically with Disney Publishing Worldwide and Disney Interactive Group on this collaboration. Therefore, currently Coco is only seen to have type 1 diabetes in our book series and on the family.com/type1 site."

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm sure that's the sort of diabetes all our kids would like the have: the optional sort :rolleyes:

12. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

We just got a Coco book from our endo last week, and my daughter loves it. She even liked the back part which was really a q&a about diabetes, not part of the story. I'd love to get my hands on some more of them. The only thing I would change is that, at least in this book all Coco does is scream "EEEEk!" and then her mom explains what she is saying. If it were up to me, I'd make her one of the characters that talks, lol.

I'd buy a book with your character too!