- advertisement -

Difficult foods: Adjust diet or work on bolusing properly?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Susanne, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Susanne

Susanne Approved members

After reading in many posts here that people are serving foods we have been trying to avoid/limit since diagnosis (white pasta/rice, pizza, restaurant food, sweets for Easter/Halloween, etc.), I am wondering how everyone here approaches food and diabetes. Are you changing your eating habits to tame the spikes or are you rather serving whatever the family/kids like and work on figuring out the insulin regimen (combo, dual wave...)?

We ate a healthy diet before diagnosis but after diagnosis I have limited sweets even more and especially fat (which has proven to be worse than sugar in regards to numbers). Most of this "food discipline" was because of
    the Humalog/NPH regimen.

As soon as Sophia was put on the pump, our dietician said: "She can eat what she wants now. " I still do not believe that-I had so many sleepless nights after certain dinners.
    So my basic question (several months into pumping) is: Do you adjust the diet to a certain extend or learn to bolus properly for all foods?

2. Traci

Traci Approved members

We learned to bolus for the foods ds eats. Yes, it's trial and error...and I just reported an epic fail on another post I answered...but you will get the hang of it. For us, I would bolus for what I thought the meal was the first time we went out then check two hours post meal to see how close I was. Depending on ds's numbers, I'd correct or even add in a temp basal to bring him down...or some graham crackers or a mini chocolate to ward off an oncoming low. I also learned to start a pre meal bolus at restaurants that had bread or chips. You'll find what works for you, but it will take trial and error.

Dh works for a restaurant company, so we eat out a lot. I did not want to always be saying no and having things off limits.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm firmly in the "making D to fit my kids life" rather than the other way around and that certainly concerns food. There are no foods that we outlaw or ban other than foods that I never would have given her prior to dx (poptarts top that short list).

D is forever, and it's really important to me that my kid be able to eat with her friends, to share meals and holidays, to travel and eat "local" food and to have a healthy well adjusted attitude toward food. So... I'm all for getting the bolus right and short of that, correcting and moving on. ;)

4. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

We try to learn how to bolus for what she wants to eat. It's a judgment call though, because I am also big on balance, and it affects my other 2 kids when we are dealing with difficult numbers and mom and dad aren't getting sleep. For example, if we are having a bad D day, I won't add Chinese to the mix if I can avoid it. If we've had 3 sleepless nights, I would skip a dessert with unknown carbs (unless it's Xmas or some holiday). So, it's more of a not now than a flat out No.

It does get easier to dose for foods in time. I agree with you about fat...who knew this would be tougher than sugar?

5. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

We adjust insulin intake rather than diet/lifestyle. Less insulin for high fiber or low carb foods, exercise, excitement etc. More for high fat foods, growth hormones, illness etc. It's not easy but it is the only way that works for us.

6. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

A little of both. Nothing is really off limits, but I might keep certain foods out of the evening lineup so I'm not up and down all night. Pop Tarts are rare, and I was reminded of why yesterday (oh yeah, THAT'S where that 338 came from....).

7. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

We try to work on bolusing properly and letting Kay eat what she wants (within reason). The only time I find myself restricting food is if she wants to eat something high sugar (that I know will make her BS go up fast) if her BS is already 200+ to begin with. That is when I find myself saying no the most- no lollipops when you are 300. That is just a recipe for disaster. She handles some difficult foods fine- pizza is never an issue for us for some unknown reason- so all foods are kind of trial and error until we can see some sort of pattern how she reacts to them.

8. KellyMama

KellyMama Approved members

This is exactly how we approach it too.

9. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

It's a tough call. I'd be lying big time if I said that I can predict how Jacob's BG is going to react for anything he wants to eat. There are some things I will probably NEVER fully figure out. And then there are things that are easy to figure and healthy, and it would be perfectly healthy for him to eat those things all the time.

Heck, I should eat healthier. We all should at our house. But he's a kid and there are all kinds of foods he likes to experience. So I try to make an educated guess. I've never gotten fat mastered and we could definitely cut back on fat anyway.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

A bit of both, actually, for us. There are some foods which we just can't dose for correctly.:eek: So we avoid those as much as possible, but if the kids want them, we give them those and deal with whatever wonkiness occurs.

I think for certain meals, like breakfast and dinner, it's probably a good idea to try different "less problematic" foods, just because it may make things easier, but we also have to take personal tastes into account.

11. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Like many others, some of both. I rarely make certain foods anymore (really do any of us in the family need white rice very often?). I try to make starches count more (sweet potatoes rather than Irish potato). Also pay lots more attention to portion size; try to weigh foods and use carb factors.

I've learned a lot about extended bolusing for certain things from this forum.

But I'm not the food police either. We make choices together and aim for a happy balance.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We still eat white rice and pasta and pizza, and restaurant foods. For most restaurant foods and pizza we do combo(dual) waves. White rice and pasta does not seem to affect us. We always have a protein with it or cheese on it.

Typical dinner. Last night grilled chicken, corn, and mashed potatoes.
    night before, instant potato crusted Tilapea with steamed broccoli and whole wheat rolls

To your last question we limit or avoid only a couple of foods like poptarts. ALthough the fiber ones work okay for us I still think they are cardboard. I guess for us over the years we just have learned how to change the combos to work as good as we can for certain foods. Extending the wave for high fat or large amounts of food. We use about 1 1/2 hour 50-50 wave if we eat fast food.

13. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We do something similar - I figure when he gets to be a teenager and out on his own without me - he will eat the pizza, doughnut, etc. so we might as well learn how to deal with it. I have said no to desert if he was high but we usually bring it home with us. If it is a kid's party, however, he has what they are having.

Poptarts are always an issue at our house too - I have tried to rule them out but we do buy them 2-3 times a year. I just can't seem to bolus for them correctly!

14. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

We have done everything that is possible to make diabetes fit into our lives. Sometimes this means no McDonalds or greasy pizza before a game, due to the fact that I haven't quite nailed down that combo bolus 100% of the time to prevent the drop and then the spike.

So I don't say NO to any particular foods altogether, I sometimes say "not right now". Tyler also prefers to have "his perfect pre-game bg" so he doesn't usually argue. It's great when they come to the realization of their bg's effecting the way they perform on the field/rink:cwds:

15. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

dd goes high on pizza and fast food. We don't limit pizza b/c we love pizza so I just know she needs not only more insulin but a good 5 hour temp basal of 120%. We do limit fast food b/c that's not good for you anyway. And when I found out that a mcdonald's vanilla shake had 105 carbs for the small--well that was the end of that! How can that possibly be good for you? that's a once a year treat, if that, and that includes for all of us.

Look, we all like to say that our kids can eat whatever they want, but we all really know that's not true. Some foods are problematic for some ppl and are best avoided or limited. In general we try to keep a relatively healthy diet for the whole family and try to learn to dose accordingly for problem foods. And foods that are both problems AND not helathy, well, who needs that, so we limit it to special occasions only. Generally though it's best to learn to dose for foods that are either good for you or that you love and can't be without, and limit "treats" for the whole family. (Except macaroons--that's God's food. :D )

16. selketine

selketine Approved members

And to note, William does beautifully with poptarts - not the healthiest food - I even started calling them (in my head anyway) "beautiful poptarts." If every food could be like poptarts for him - I'd be a genius. Eggs drive me crazy though - and it certainly can't be the carbs.

Sometimes a bit of a high fat food works well before he has a strenuous activity - a little square of fudge worked great before he went out to play in the snow. Not that I advocate routinely eating fudge - but sometimes that is a good way to work things in.

I've found that some foods that used to bother him - don't as he gets older - and other food are more of a problem. I just wanted to add that it takes trial and error to see what your child's problem foods are - I wouldn't avoid things always (like some people find bananas difficult) just because you have read they could be problematic.

17. wilf

wilf Approved members

In general for us it comes down to whether the difficult foods are healthy or not - I am not going to spend sleepless nights trying to figure out how to perfect the bolus for some junkfood when there are other options available.

On the other hand if it's new grain like quinoa or something then it's worth doing the work needed to get it figured out.

18. suz

suz Approved members

As much as is possible we make D fit in with our lifestyle - which means no foods are off-limits, but as others have said, if your already have a high number going into a meal then desert may be saved for another night!

Both my kids are allowed candy, they always have been. BUT it's always been in moderation as a treat and that hasn't, and won't, change. They have both also always been big fruit and veggie eaters (thankfully!)

Before D, we had a lot of pasta/rice in our meals, because DS is picky and that's something he'd always eat. But now I have found that because we still struggle with dosing correctly for those kind of foods, that I only cook them on nights that I know are probably going to be difficult anyway, due to things such as playdates, soccer practice or whatever.

Like someone else said, I know we would all benefit from eating healthier so I guess it's been an unconscious decision that we have started including a lot more healthy foods into our diet as a family, not just for DS.

Store-bought cupcakes have always made me cringe with the amount of fake-sugary icing they pile on top - since D came into our lives, it just makes that shudder a little bit worse :D