- advertisement -

Dietary restrictions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jetsmom, Mar 10, 2009.

1. jetsmom

jetsmom Approved members

Do you limit cookies/doughnuts, etc. more for your D kids or the same if they didn't have D? I have a 14 year old that loves sweets, how much is too much IYO?

2. sariana

sariana Approved members

We were told not to limit anything since she is so young... Although they did recommend to not allow her to drink Coke.. lol

She is still taking shots, so we try to limit that stuff to meals to be honest. We use the 100 calorie packs as well for snack, so she has a variety from peanut bars to small chocolate cookies to eat... regardless all 3 kids get the same stuff....

3. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

Yes. I limit for both kids equally though. It's really not good for anyone to eat too many donuts or cookies.

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I try not to give anything too spiky before bed, but other than that, I don't really restrict anything more than I did before.

5. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Yes I limit. I limit both kids but I will admit to trying to sway Sam away from it more than my other son. Sometimes the numbers just will not cooperate. If it is too much of a battle then I may let him have it but if I can talk him out of it...you can bet that I will!

6. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I don't eat any different than before diagnosis. Treats are fine in moderation, they just need appropriate insulin coverage. Being on MDI, however, I did limit sometimes, when I didn't want another injection or I was eating a high fat food that was hard to cover. Now with the pump and extended bolus options, I'm free to eat as I like.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think I limit Maddie's intake of junk food pretty much like I would without D, though perhaps slightly more. That's not to say that she doesn't eat sweets. She has a cookie in her lunch every day and has dessert a few times a week. If it's a special occasion, i.e., a birthday or holiday or the whole lacrosse team is having an ice cream after a game I just let her have what the other kids are having, but for everyday I try to keep a lid on the excessive pull of sweet treats.

It's about having D, but I honestly think it's about wanting to raise her to have an appreciation of all sorts of foods and flavors and textures and not just a sweet/salt tooth.:cwds:

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

Our whole family eats healthier since DD's diagnosis. The motto here is that if DD can't have it, none of us should be..

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

I don't limit any more then I did before D - except for sugary soda - she now drinks diet only.

10. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

We always limited cookies etc. with all the kids before dx, so it's not much different here now. The main difference is the timing issue since Amanda cannot just eat whatever, whenever....so there is a lot less grazing going on than previously.

I also made a decision to not let her d dx limit her...so if her friends are having it, she has it and I'll figure out how to handle it.

11. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

We don't limit anything more now than we did before Dx. (Treats in moderation.)

But, I have actually started allowing diet sodas when I didn't allow any soda's before.

The only thing I notice is that I'm keeping an eye on total daily carbs now -- and I didn't do that before. It's just now I'm actually calculating stuff so I "watch it."
    Eileen

12. zell828

zell828 Approved members

We don't limit SD in having anything she couldn't have before, but I have changed a few things for her like I buy the fat free, no sugar added ice cream and light yogurt or diet soda/sugar free drinks. I did this before for me so it's nothing new I am really buying, but now SD just eats/drinks it too if she wants it. I do this mainly because SD is very sensitive to fat. She doesn't really feel like she is missing out, she still gets things but it's substituted for the lower fat kind. She still will have a donut, pizza or candy now and then too and we just deal with it. After all, a kid still has to be a kid sometimes :)

13. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

No, nothing has changed since before diagnosis. Except she does get Skittles a lot more then she use too as she uses them to treat lows.:p

I do notice that since my daughter is maturing a little bit she is more mindful of what certain foods do to her numbers. I think this is a good thing that she is aware of this then me constantly nagging her. Not, that I don't sometimes, lol...just hoping she continues to be a bit more aware.

14. mom of four

mom of four Approved members

Me too. The rule used to be no soda in the house. They could have it on special occasions and that was it. Now there is Sprite Zero in the pantry all the time. How did that happen?

In the beginning there were huge limitations since we were on NPH and a fixed meal plan. It was beyond awful! Now though, I don't limit anymore than I used to before D. In fact I am very close to tackling the dreaded pizza spike...:)

15. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

My kids would tell you that I have a long list of dietary restrictions :rolleyes::D, but none of them are new since dx.

We do have treats, we just don't go overboard. And everyone is treated equally.

16. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Before dx I did not offer a lot of cookies, cakes or donuts, and rarely any candy.

Since dx we are the same, but a main staple in the house is candy for lows, that and juice.

We are not junk food eaters, and eat a healthy balanced diet. There are times in life that a donut can become a treat, but not very often.

17. samheis

samheis Approved members

I try not to limit. We are still eating on a schedule, so if he's interested in eating something sweet, I plan it into one of his meals or snacks for the day. Now if it's getting out of hand, I put my foot down, but I never say it's because of the diabetes, but because he's a growing boy and needs to eat healthy-well as healthy as he can with his momma's cooking lol:p.

But if you can cover it with insulin, let him eat. :cwds:

18. linda

linda Approved members

We were lucky in that Em was never the food junkie, very rarely "craves" treats, and for special occasions just cover and go....

Sometimes I will swap sugar for splenda sometimes in baking or for fruit top as a treat.

prefer for her to come up from a semi low with a healthy food choice as opposed to a donut, whenever possible (this is my only enforced rule, realy)...but there are times when those are precious awaited moments...;)

Its a no brainer that our kids should eat healthy well balanced meals as much as possible, but kids should be kids:D

19. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

On the other end of the spectrum, yes I do limit certain foods. We have alot of trouble with chips and chicken nuggets, so they are not a common food item in our house. She's never had soda (but probably wouldn't have anyway).

Her meals are mostly whole grains, fruits, veggies and meats with the occasional snack bar and rarely some chips thrown in.

Her numbers just go out of control for up to 6 hours whenever there is a fat spike. It's a shame, but if she's going to have this for the rest of her very long life, we are going to make some choices that I think will help in the long run.

20. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

We don't limit, but we usually don't have cookies / doughnuts in the house, even before D and D isn't the reason I don't buy it now, it's not good my thighs ;) We do always have ice cream in the house though and if he wanted it everynight for dessert he'd get it :)