- advertisement -

Diet Soda

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Food' started by momto3girls, Aug 24, 2010.

1. momto3girls

momto3girls Approved members

Does anyone else worry when you are out to eat somewhere that the server will give your child regular soda instead of diet? I have switched back and forth between regular and diet soda so many times over the years that I sometimes can't tell the difference anymore. When my husband is with me he can taste and tell the difference for sure but when he's not I always worry they will give her the wrong one. Any ideas?

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

This happened to us at McDonalds drive through this summer. We order 4 diet cokes, one for everyone, so glad we ordered it that way. Because I noticed the different taste right away. I tested a drop of coke with a bg meter and it read 480. Not diet. We took them all back and I gave a talk to the manager.

Some people also test with urine ketone sticks if they are unsure.

3. MomtoPatience

MomtoPatience Approved members

I could see the reason this would be a concern, Being the worrisome mom that i am i would maybe bring my own in my purse and ask for a glass with ice. Or make it very clear that it is very important no mistake be made.

4. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

This is exactly the situation that we are in. Luckily, I rarely eat out without my husband, so I always just have him check.

5. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

I worry too. I ususally sniff or do a taste test. I'm glad I'm not the only Mom that does this. I feel so paranoid from time to time.

6. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

Yep I worry too and do taste test ....

and I never trust drinks thru drive thru ... they make so many other mistakes ... it is hard to trust the drinks

Lisa

7. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

It's happened to us,at least twice...once with a tea and once with a soda. One test HI on the meter and one tested 480ish, I think.

As a teen, I worked at a concession stand and one worker put DIET soda on the entire REGULAR soda line. It caused a problem for someone who had a aspartame allergy.:eek: