- advertisement -

Didn't know what to do?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MyTMax08, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Deal

Deal Approved members

I understand that water helps with the bodies kidney function for passing sugars out of the body when bg is higher than renal threshold which is normally around 300+. Does drinking water have any other blood sugar lowering properties? Reading this thread makes me wonder if I'm missing something.

2. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

I really think that the original poster needs to get some intensive training in diabetes management, very quickly. (We could ALL use that -- my son just got his pump, and I am starting from square 1 again.) The stuff being discussed in this thread is the type of stuff they try to get you to understand at diagnosis before leaving the hospital, but obviously most people have lingering questions beyond that. It is clear that the original poster is in that category. My suggestion is:
    1) Ask anything and everything to this forum.
    2) But make sure that there are training sessions in place with professionals.
    3) Strengthen the communication stream between you and your endo (more frequent calls/emails).

Our endo rarely gets back to us in a timely manner. With that in mind, after I email him, I post most questions here and sometimes copy them via email to a couple of friends who have children with diabetes. I have even started to attend some classes at a local hospital. The nurse at the hospital also answers questions via email. On top of that, I am always reading this forum, as well as books. It takes a lot of time, but it is worth it.

To the original poster ---- If you need help finding other resources in your area, just ask the forum. I am sure that there are people here who can help.

3. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Just a thought on the extremely dry lips... You might want to ask your son's endo for a thyroid profile or TSH blood test. Dry skin is a symptom of hypothyroidism ( it is fairly common for people with type 1 diabetes to have thyroid issues). My son has both type 1 and hypothyroidism... When his lips or hands are extremely dry/ chapped, often the thyroid meds need to be increased.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

This is very helpful advice. I'd like to add that I VERY frequently refer back to a few books, most helpful has been Think Like a Pancreas when on MDI (and Pumping Insulin once on pump). It's impossible, particularly in those early days, to remember everything and to not feel that fear that you are doing the wrong thing...there is so much to know and we are entrusted with too much! But forward we go, step by step, learning as we can and doing what we must. Finding the proper support is critical, and I'd definitely second the advice above.

5. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

I appreciate where you're coming from with your reply, and totally agree that some of us (Me, ME, me, meee - no I'm not singing!) could benefit from further training. That said, my dd just hit 10 months from Dx yesterday, and our endo team still has yet to talk to us about corrections outside of meal times. They have repeatedly told us, including our last visit in September, that we do not need to worry about correcting her bg outside of meal times, and should never do so at bedtime unless she is over 350 with ketones. They've also refused to adjust her correction factor (1:50 over 150, which means she gets nothing until 200, at which point 1u doesn't do a ding dang thing, nor does 2u at 250, etc. We started giving 1/2u for 25 over 150 just to avoid that way back in June. Our endo was less than pleased...)

When I ask about corrections, they simply remind me that her target range is 70 - 180, and they want kids in range 60% of the time, above range 40%, and under less than 10% of the time. I find the differences and discrepancies in care beyond confusing (and at times dismaying), and often find that things talked about here go right over my head as it just doesn't fit in the context of the little we've been taught (like 1:120 or any of the various formulas for determining a correction factor, and what the heck does ISF mean? :eek:) Clearly, my Christmas wish list is filled with the titles often suggested to new parents here, and I keep scouring for used copies...

I appreciate that this forum is here, and that so many parents who sound like they have a true grasp on what they're doing have formed such an incredibly supportive community, and offer their experience and advice. I don't know where dd and I would be without the wealth of info here. It might help, though, to realize that a lot of us newbies here haven't heard of or don't understand everything y'all are talking about, and just might not realize we should (because, even thought it's helpful, we're still learning to speak this new language).

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

I think, at 10 months, your endo is doing you a disservice by not talking corrections. We left the hospital with a correction factor.

7. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

We're just a couple weeks shy of a year, and we left the hospital with a correction factor, too. I think you need to readdress that with your endo.

8. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

My DD hates water when she has a high blood sugar or is ill; she says it tastes horrid. I try to keep a few zero carb alternatives around for illness and high blood sugars.

It you are trying to avoid artificial sweeteners, then I would search the health food stores for alternatives to plain water. Like another poster mentioned: Sweet Leaf makes liquid stevia drops that can be used for flavoring water, they have lots of flavors like: grape, rootbeer, toffee, vanilla, chocolate.

9. MyTMax08

MyTMax08 Approved members

Awesome, this is VERY helpful, thank you for sharing. :) ~ Melissa

10. MyTMax08

*Like* Thank you for your post, it's good to know I am not the only out there feeling so new still!

11. MyTMax08

He was tested for this, yes, and there wasn't a concern with medication at that point...perhaps his check-up in December will tell. Thanks so much. I have called in to the Clinic to update his numbers for the week and waiting to hear back from the Dr./Nurse sometime today. ~Melissa

12. MyTMax08

We left the hospital with one as well. It is now 1:120.

13. MyTMax08

To the original poster ---- If you need help finding other resources in your area, just ask the forum. I am sure that there are people here who can help

I appreciate this very much. I have been taking classes and am working with Maxim's Nurse and Endo on a daily basis, I call right when I have something on my mind...writing it down is important to help me double remember but being able to touch base with right away is better for me. I haven't gotten into any reading material yet...I know that I need to make time for it, I spend most of my extra time right now getting in all of my required reading for the two courses I am taking (I am a full time student) and wonder how I would possibly even get additional reading in? I am sure there can be a way, I am still learning to balance everything. I'd like to say thank you for your kindness in the detail of your post...it is something that I can look back on whenever. ~ Melissa

14. MyTMax08

Thanks Amy :cwds: I really do feel better and our family has benefited from it too! ~Melissa

15. MyTMax08

Thank you!

16. MyTMax08

He is not a tea drinker unfortunately...we've tried and tried. Thanks for the advice on the water flavors I will have to check them out! ~Melissa

17. MyTMax08

He had breakfast at 9 a.m. and this happened at 11:15 a.m. He is on Humalog.

18. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

In response to the question of dehydration lowering blood sugars, if the body is dehydrated enough it can actually change blood chemistry and that can show as a higher reading which is why sometimes you can see a 100+ point drop in BS after fluid intake (1L give or take usually). This is usually only noted in cases of SEVERE DEHYDRATION!!!!! Water is not replacement for insulin so please don't take it that way.

When I was an EMT I only ever saw one case of this with T1 where severe dehydration had occurred due to influenza. In the hour transport to the hospital we saw sugars drop 120 points with no IOB due to fluid bolus. Now it was from the 500+ range, but it can happen.

In this case reading through the posts I agree that it was still the IOB from breakfast.

Also, I am no longer a licensed EMT in Mi or any other state (let my license lapse when I started my company, stupid I know) and this is not to be taken as medical advice and not offered as such ::lawyer hat off::

19. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Was he good at breakfast then high before church? If so, how long after breakfast was church? If it was only an hour or so...Maybe it was a meal spike and what brought him down was the breakfast insulin? Not the water.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  20. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

We have been at this for over four years. Many folks in this site have been dealing with this disease for much longer. I rarely post, but read daily. I have learned so much. After a few years, you learn that you have a much better idea of how to manage the disease that most general docs. Out endo is great, but I know my son ....what he eats,when he exercises, his level of sensitivity to changes...much better than his endo. I wouldn't be offended if someone here questions your endo. I spend an hour discussing, questioning,and updating our plan every time we see her.