- advertisement -

Didn't know what to do?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MyTMax08, Nov 20, 2011.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Correction formula is BG minus target divided by ISF. Your ISF is not 1 to 30. That sounds like your carb ratio.

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

People who aren't pumping don't use the abbreviation ISF - they call it a correction factor. But I agree that the 1:30 is way off..

3. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We have always called it ISF, even when on injections.We were taught this in the hospital over 9 years ago.

4. MyTMax08

MyTMax08 Approved members

He's not denying all liquids, just regular chilled tap water or bottled water (when we have it at the house) Maxim is not having issues psychologically...he is just recovering from a cold and today was scary for me in a setting as we were, so I wanted to ask here what was on my mind. Thanks!

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Water schmater. I think your endo is putting too much emphasis on "water". Water, diet soda, light lemon-aid, tea, milk, soup, whatever, it's not all that big a difference. Yes, water is nice and cheap and handy, but if he's resisting it then I think that there are plenty of ways to get hydrating fluid into him without forcing him to drink water.

6. MyTMax08

His carb ratio is 1:30, yes and his correction factor is 1:120.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

Ok, that makes much more sense! :) Thanks for clarifying.. :cwds:

8. MyTMax08

His correction factor is 1:120, carb ratio 1:30

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

Fair enough - I should have said most people on MDI don't use the term ISF..

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

Or he could have a really bad cold and sore throat :rolleyes:

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

Have your endo set you up with a good correction factor (and know that it will change down the road).

When I was newly diagnosed I would flip out over a high bloodsugar and was worried I would mess up my math, so I made up a handy chart that looked something like this

BS Correction
    150 1/2 unit
    200 1 unit
    250 1 1/2 units
    300 2 units

2 hrs post meal and nighttime

BS Correction
    200 1/2 unit
    250 1 unit, etc,etc,etc

That way it was spelled out and easy, not another layer of things to worry about.

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

Sure. But I was writing in response to this:

and this:

13. MyTMax08

He doesn't like lemon-aid (hence the reason why we have to try a different drop in)..I don't agree with diet soda (very often) he doesn't like tea and I think that if he's high why would I offer him something with sugar like milk. He is getting better, over the past few days especially with the water but prior to that he would hardly drink it (but he also wasn't as sick as he has been this past week) so I don't think he realized it until now how important it is to drink it. I don't want him to constantly think that there is always other alternatives to water other than emergencies when he is low (like juice, etc) I appreciate your comments but I find that the comments towards our Endo is something that I really do not need or expect. He is an excellent Dr. and we trust him and find that he has done well with our son (who started at A1C of 14 and is currently down to 8)...we couldn't have done it without him and his staff. I would appreciate that this will be taken into consideration, if not, I really don't want to talk has it is deeply offending to me. This is the second time that I have been on here posting and feeling sensitive to what certain ppl are saying...it could def be the way that I am reading into the responses but for the most part it is honestly what I think that helps me the least and would rather blog elsewhere.

14. Lee

Lee Approved members

I do not understand this response at all - I think she was being incredibly helpful. Many doctors say push water and mean push fluids. This is an online forum, and there is no tone or inflection. You reaction is how you read her thread. I read it as joking and funny advice, not as insulting your endo.

And honestly, I can't think that an endo that hasn't given you a correction factor is all that great, so that is something you need to talk about at your next meeting. It is not something you need to be figuring out on your own or even over the internet. That is what you pay the Dr for and he knows your son better then any of us here.

Just remember, when your son is high, you do not need to panic, you just need to give him insulin.
    End of story - that is all. Water will help flush out ketones, but it really does not bring down blood sugar all on it's own.

15. wilf

wilf Approved members

I don't think there's any intent to disrespect your endo.

But what several of us are seeing from your posts is a kid that desperately needs liquids (to the point of being dehydrated with cracked and bleeding lips and having very high blood sugars), and a parent and endo who seem overly focussed on insisting that the liquid he ingests be water and only water.

You're being challenged (and rightly so, in my opinion) to be flexible and get whatever liquids he'll drink into him if you suspect dehydration. And to the extent that you're following the instructions of your endo, that challenge would be extended to him as well.

16. MyTMax08

Hi Becky...thanks for this information. We do have a chart to go from but it is what we mainly use during meal times...the info for correction on High BS is:
    BS - 150 divided by 120 and give the number of units it equals to be.

My worry was, we were staying after Church for a Thanksgiving dinner with the congregation and I wasn't sure if I should give him a correction if he was getting ready to eat anyway very soon? He is at 140 now and has been drinking the rest of the day and evening and that makes me happy!

17. wilf

wilf Approved members

Actually when a child is badly dehydrated, just giving them water can lead to a very significant drop in blood sugars..

18. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

If it had been me, I'd have given him a correction, then covered him for whatever good he ate at the lunch, but that's just me. Also, in regards to him not drinking water, have you tried like powerade zero, theres no carbs, but might be more appealing to him than water.

19. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

When eating + needing a correction you just add the two together. So let's say he needs a correction of 2 units and is about to ingest 60 carbs (1:30 carb ratio), you'd give 4 units.

The two things are independent of one another. Insulin acting on food acts on food...insulin acting on high blood sugar acts on that. Hope that makes sense.

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

Very true, very true. Just like severe dehydration will cause high blood sugar.