- advertisement -

Did you know...? --Wanna play?--

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by TracieandJim, Sep 26, 2008.

1. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

Gotta a 'factual' bit to share? Helpful or even worthless trivia to make us all go 'Hmmm!' Please share!

Did you know that
    1 gram of carb = 4 calories
    1 gram of protein = 4 calories
    1 gram of fat = 9 calories
    1 gram of alcohol = 7 calories

2. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

Worthless trivia here.

Henry Ford and Thomas Edison are the creators of the charcoal briquette we are familiar with today. Ford was bothered by the amount of wasted wood left from making cars in his factories and came up with a way to turn it into something useful with the help of Edison, who came up with the machines to do it. They didnt really care much for the charcoal business, too many other things to do, so they sold it to E.G. Kingsford who marketed it.

And now your wondering what the h*!! is wrong with me and why I know something like that.

3. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, or purple.

4. KeltonsMom

I have more LOL

If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced
    to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

Eat Beans America Needs Gas..

5. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Sometimes I eat a meatball sub just for the sheer joy of gettin' messy! :)

OK seriously, did you know that:

Genetics labs in California have created a tobacoo plant that "grows" human blood -- no Little Shop of Horrors jokes please, a trout that is part tomato (tomato cells spliced into the fish in its roe stage to boost its Vit C level), a goat that produces silk in its milk, and its the same lab that came out with the first mouse to "grow" a human ear lobe?

6. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

My house should be blowing up anytime now!!! My new nickname for Tyler is now GA (gas a$$) :p

7. KeltonsMom

I have one more then I will go to the corner for being bad..

This is for all the frustrated parents who deal with D 24/7

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you will have produced
    enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

My coffee will be warm in a few years from now..:D

8. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

After a baby koala is weaned at 30 weeks, it begins to eat "pap," which is a special kind of poo the mother produces. This is where the joey gets the bacteria needed to digest the toxic eucalyptus leaves.

Video, if you are so inclined.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Al Lewis, the actor who portrayed Grandpa Munster on the tv show The Munsters, co-wrote the song "Blueberry Hill". :cwds:

10. kyleesmom

The pin that holds a hinge together is called a pintle. I learned that yesterday after having to remove it to take a door off.

The thing on your lamp that holds the lamp shade is called a harp.

And now for a bunch of stuff about bananas.

Bananas are technically herbs, are related to lilys and orchids and they dont reproduce from seeds, but from rizhomes. Each banana plant only produces one stem of bananas and after that stem is harvested, the plant is cut down. One stem of a banana plant has 100-150 bananas on it. Bananas dont grow on trees, the trunk of a banana plant is tightly wrapped leaves. Bananas take FOREVER to grow, close to 2 years. Wind is very damaging to bananas. Because they grow so tall and have no woody stem to support them, they fall over in very light wind and have to be staked up to prevent it. Really big, ugly, nasty spiders LOVE banana plants. So do money and feral pigs.

My parents had a banana plant in the front yard of their house in Indonesia. It was really neat, but we never did get any bananas off of it. They were there and growing when we left, but didnt ripen in time. I should scan in the picture of Kylee and my dad with the banana tree.

11. T1Spouse&Proud

T1Spouse&Proud Approved members

Here's two I never forgot from high school,

A female pig's *climax last for 30 minutes, straight.

Frogs cant vomit, so they "cough" up their entire stomach and dig out the food with their hands/feet. (?)

12. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

Did you know.....

That you can't physically lick your own elbow?

My sister asked me this and I have to admit I tried! :D

13. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I can lick my elbow- I just did it. It made my neck hurt.

The facts I was going to post: Most monkeys with prehensile tails have a furless pad on the tail, like a palm or the sole of a foot. Capuchins are the exception to that rule. Prehensile means that they can use the tail almost like a hand. Some monkeys have tails that they have so little control over that when they are trying to hide, they use their hands to physically hold their tails in place.

The normal blood sugar for pigs is 20-80 mg/dl (about 1.1-4.2 m/mol).

14. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I am in awe...you guys are amazing!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

15. KeltonsMom

When I die, I want to come back as a pig :eek::eek::D:rolleyes:

16. T1Spouse&Proud

T1Spouse&Proud Approved members

If you combine my first fact, and your second fact, do you think pig gets low? ;)

17. kyleesmom

Do you figure the fish tastes any different?

18. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I think its to boost our vitamin intake. I just assume eat fresh trout from a river and eat some fruit. Oh, and I also vote for pig reincarnation! :D

19. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

There is a third major form of pure carbon called "Bucky Balls". Graphite and diamond are the other two. A Bucky ball molecule is shaped just like a soccer ball and is the roundest, most symmetrical large molecule known. It is super rugged, harder than diamond and very stable. It can even survive the temperature extremes of outer space.

20. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

The Federal Aviation Administration ends the blanket ban that prevented anyone who uses insulin from obtaining a private pilots' license: a result of ADA advocacy efforts. FAA replaced the ban with a system that assessed each pilot with diabetes based on his or her individual abilities.