advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did Type 1 change or make decision to have more children?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lil'Man'sMom, Mar 1, 2008.

1. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Not that we are or were planning anymore (3 is just right for us) but I am just curious if the dx of type 1 has effected the decision to have or not have more children?

2. dmjrn

dmjrn Approved members

Yes......

HI. Honestly, yes, I think maybe it has changed my mind about having more kids. I always wanted three but since diagnosis, I really don't think I could handle another one! Just the stress and expenses make it difficult. But I would also have yet another child to worry about wether or not they would be t1 too. I might change my mind again later. We are still new at this so who knows!

3. Carrie

Carrie Approved members

I have four and would love another one! My "baby" is three and I so miss that teeny-ness already. I get really sick when I am pregnant, so that is a huge factor in being content with four. :rolleyes:Diabetes adds its own amount of stress, but I would never want my daughter with diabetes to think we didn't have anymore because of something she can't/couldn't control (having diabetes). Having more then one child with diabetes is always a possibility, but not a given. I've often thought about the possibility of a baby brother or sister contributing to a cure someday (cord blood).

4. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

Not exactly.

I do remember that for about a year before Jacob was diagnosed (diagnosed at age 3 1/2) I was completely wanting to have a second child. Finances kept that from happening. When Jacob was in the hospital I pretty much accepted that having a second child was never going to happen being that I did not see how we were going to manage the added financial strain of diabetes but with me still able to stay home with Jacob. Financial things settled a bit but still I had to choose between staying home with Jacob or going to work and using daycare for Jacob and a second child. I chose the first (I work from home now but things are still very tight).

If we could afford to have a second child with me able to stay home with him/her then I would love to. I would be concerned about the possibility of diabetes but I honestly believe that I would have the second child anyway.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Maybe - I always wanted more, and now that it is a possibility - I think I don't! (nope - not preggers - just having the convo!) Although - honestly - I don't think it is necessarily the fear of the child getting diabetes - it is more the fear of the time consumption and how could I juggle it!

6. AP-Mom

AP-Mom Approved members

I was 5 months pregnant when Ainsley was diagnosed. My pregnancies were not fun and we weren't planning for anymore after this one. However, had we not been pregnant with #2 when she was diagnosed, we would not have had #2. I guess our timing worked for a reason. :)

7. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

My husband and I have talked about a 3rd child for awhile until Samuel (20 mths) was DX this past Jan 29th. We were concerned about finances then and more so now with the added medical expenses. If we have a 3rd we will definetly choose the cord blood option. The thought of having another child with type 1 does concern us but as we learn more about this I think we are both not as concerned as we used to be.

Tracie
    James 3yo non-diab.
    Samuel 20 mths, dx Jan 29, 2008

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Yes, it definitely has...after my 2nd one was born (non-d) I thought about having a 3rd child...but when my 1st son, Ian, was dx shortly after, I buried that thought.

I worry about my youngest one getting Type 1, and don't know how I could go through a pregnancy with that worry also in my mind...perhaps I'll regret it later...who knows?!

9. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

I think this is only my 2nd post so hopefully it works. When my son was diagnosed 1 month shy of his 2yr b-day in Oct 07 I said I do not want anymore kids, no way! I have always wanted to at least 3 kids. After a month my dh and I decided to start trying again(we had been trying prior to D dx.)we weren't going to let diabetes ruin our family plans and keep Cooper from having brothers and sisters. We got pregnant in December and the new baby is due in September! We are very very excited! :D So to answer your question, D changed our minds for a month about family plans.

10. allisa

allisa Approved members

It would not at all affect my decision to have further children.

I am sure I would worry, but it wouldn't stop me.....do you think it should affect OUR children and wether or not they choose to have children ?

I PRAY it doesn't and I'm glad it didn't occur to my FIL that he shouldn't have children.....or I wouldn't have mine today :D

11. mckynziesmom

mckynziesmom Approved members

Yes definately!!! When McKynzie was diagnosed she was 8 and my only one so I was already planning on no more with that big of an age difference I just didn't want to start over. With the dx that just sealed the deal for me.

12. bethdou

bethdou Approved members

We were already finished when Meg was dx'd; I was old enough that I didn't want to wake up at nights again, working fulltime and all. HA! So much for that....:)

I do know that my oldest brother, who was dx'd in the early 80's, said once that had he known he was going to be dx'd with diabetes, they wouldn't have had their 2nd son. He felt horribly guilty that he might be subjecting them to having the same thing. I don't know if he still feels that way or not, since his kids are adults now, but it stuck with me. He was also terribly traumatized when Meg was dx'd, even though there was absolutely nothing he or anyone else could have done to stop it.

13. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

I wasn't going to post in the thread since my kids are older when dx'd and we pretty much only having 2 anyway. So there wasn't a decision to make.

But I just wanted to say

[​IMG]

14. owensmom

owensmom Approved members

I have two stepchildren and we had always planned to round out our family with two more and even with our first together being diagnosed at 21 months we did not waiver (God willing of course.) Today our children are 8 months, 3 1/2, 11 and 13.

Most days life is hard and far more complicated then we had ever planned, however, every day is beautiful and wonderful with our children in it.

Diabetes has taken so much from us already. If we had allowed it to take away our dreams for our family then what would that teach our children? Not to dream? Not to have children of their own?

15. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I was already separated when Phillip was dxd so the decision had pretty much been taken out of my hands. In saying that if I had another relationship I still wouldn't have anymore kids, not because of diabetes, but because of my daughter, who has a lot of health and behaviour issues of her own.

16. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

For me no, for dh yes. Since it takes 2 I guess the decision was made for me. I always wanted 4, and yes, I still dream of the possibility of someday mothering a son. We had 4 kids in our family when I was growing up and it just seems like the right number for me. Oh well :eek:

17. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Thank You Cheryl!

18. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

That first week of my daughter's diagnosis, we were actually trying to conceive baby #2, so we instantly stopped at that point. And just recently we realized that we do want another baby (as we have always planned) so we are going to start trying again soon.

I have to say, seeing all the people on here with many children, and it seems like the majority has 1 D child. And even if I have another precious baby with D, I will now know what to do and I just keep hoping for a cure in their lifetime.

19. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I was 4 months pregnant with our second child when Tyler was diagnosed. It took many years of trying and heartache to have our second child. Seemed just like when things were going good for our family, we were thrown yet another curve ball (tylers diagnosis).

Anyways, has it made an impact on our decision to have more children. NO - whether we will have anymore is a question, but for other reasons, not for the possibility of another child having diabetes.

I would hope that having diabetes wouldn't deter Tyler from having any children himself - so far his life has had no negative impact from his diabetes. Sure he has a few pokes and prods a day, and had a very boring week stay in the hospital.(being bored is all he complained about being in there - lucky me and him!)

I think having more than one diabetic child would be very trying and tiring for the parents. But in this day with all the medical advances, our children will lead long and happy lives despite their diabetes.(that's with good control)

20. lisalotsamom

lisalotsamom Approved members

Tessa was our #6 child and 18 mos old at the time of diagnosis. We were thinking of having another baby just before her diagnosis, but then delayed for a year.
    After that year, when things seemed "settled" a bit, we conceived our #7, Sean. We were determined not to let diabetes have control over our family size. Some days are difficult with the combination of large family and diabetes, but we feel like it is worth it. Like many things in life, the best things are often difficult.