- advertisement -

Did something stupid-needs suggestions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emilyandkevsmom, Jan 24, 2012.

1. emilyandkevsmom

emilyandkevsmom Approved members

Did something stupid-Update!

I have really done it now. I have lost my daughters test strips for the month. I always put her prescriptions in a certain place as soon as I get home becasue I am not a very organized person. Her lancets I just had filled is in the box and her insulin is in the fridge. I have torn my apartment apart and tried to find them. I called the pharmacy and verified I did pick them up. I thought about calling her insurance company but I really doubt they wld cover lost supplies! Her endo is really far away so I cant ask them for samples. I dont know what I am asking but you all are a really smart group, any suggestions wld be appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. valerie-k

valerie-k Approved members

did you liik in the car? I have left matts strips there.

3. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

Did you check where you put the insulin? Maybe you put them in the fridge?
    Good luck.

I'm glad I mail order, or I'm sure I would do this too. One time we could find my son's pump, AND IT WAS AROUND HIS WAIST IN HIS PUMP PACK...we would lose our heads if they weren't attached.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

In the short term what can you do buy buy some? Unless you know another D family who might give you some.

But since you are looking at a whole months worth I would absolutely call the endo and ask for their help. Maybe they can share samples, get a rep to donate some.

Good luck!

5. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Check the car and the driveway, then post back. What kind do you use?

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I've done similar things.
    Did you do other shopping? Could you have left it in the cart? Call the store and talk to the desk about lost and found?
    How much of a supply do you have from the last fill? Walmart brand test strips are very cheap, I'm not sure about accuracy but it's something, more like a quarter a strip than a buck.
    Are there any adult endos in your area that the ped endo could talk to?
    Seems to me that when you stop looking, that's when it's most likely to turn up. :eek:

7. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

The medical insurance won't cover lost supplies but homeowner's might. Still there would be the deductible to deal with.

If need be I can see if a one bottle of Animas Ultra strips might roll all the way to TN if I drop it under the dresser where I can't reach it.

8. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Would you have put them away with the groceries? Did you go anywhere after you picked them up? Could you have put them on top of the car? One time I pulled out the car booster seat and put it on the roof because I was rearranging the seats in the minivan....I actually drove to the store with the booster on the roof...sans a kid of course!!! :rolleyes: I hope the strips turn up. Keep us posted.

9. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

What type of meter do you use, we still have some strips when we switched types and I could send them to you

10. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

When we left our insulin out in the car we called the pharmacy and they said that our insurance has a once a year lost prescription refill. You might call them and see.

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

I lost a prescription once (maybe for emla cream) and my HMO covered getting another one. I am betting most insurance companies have a procedure for this sort of thing - like what if your insulin bottles got broken - would they just not give you more insulin? Are you supposed to go for a month without? I don't think so. (I did find that emla cream a few weeks later in a cabinet - stuck in the wrong place)

I would definitely check with your pedi endo - they may know what your insurance will do - and call your insurance company.

Only gonna cost the ins. company more money if you lose some important prescription and end up in the hospital....

12. emilyandkevsmom

thanks for all the suggestions, I checked the fridge lol, I am afraid that I may have thrown them away. I think I will call the insurance even though I don't expect them to cover them. We only get 200 a month but I was lucky to have had about 50left over from the past couple of months. I am have not been checking as often but she is old enough to tell if she is low or high. I really appreciate the offers of sending me some but she will be ok, her grandma works in the medical field and can probably get some samples I just hate to admit that I done this!

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

some insurances will do a one time one a year refill for lost/spoiled supplies.

If you do not find them soon i would start there, since you are talking about a months worth.

Another Idea, is there another meter that you have been wanting to try? We have switched strips/meters in mid month and have not had to wait till we were done with what we had, not sure if all insurance will do it though.

14. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Are you close to your Endo's office or could your Pediatrician maybe help you out and get you some strips from a Rep? We never have extras with all the crazy numbers we have had lately!

15. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Did they actually give them to you? They may have thought they did ??

16. emilyandkevsmom

Great news!

After searching and searching I finally called the endos office today. They acted like it was not a big deal and told me you are allowed to loose or break something once a year. :eek: This is my first time in 5 years, I still feel irresponsible. I honestly think that I threw them away by accident. I am just so relieved!:)