- advertisement -

Did I over-react?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Big Hair Momma, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

This morning I dropped Caleb off at school. I went in to tell the health-tech that I would not be available for an hour this morning, and if there was a problem during that time to call my dh at work. While I'm in there, I see that she is obviously ill (runny nose, watery eyes, etc). I tell her on my way out the door, half-joking/half-serious, "don't breathe on Caleb!" She responds with "don't worry, I'm not getting close to anyone." I get back in the van to drop off my other children and start thinking, I don't want her anywhere near Caleb. [On Tuesday, we saw HI on the meter ALL day. I didn't get him under 200 until after 10PM. He's still running high, but more manageablely (200-300).] So, I call the district RN and tell her, the health tech is ill, I don't want her to test Caleb, we've been HI for a few days, bg 's are erratic, I need to figure out why, I don't want to compound the problem by adding an additional symptom, possible illness, etc. Jeremy, my dh, will do the 9:30 test, can someone else do the 10:20 test before PE. She said NO! The only person that could do it was the health tech, she's spoken to her and feels like she's healthy enough to be interacting with the children. I re-iterate that we've been having some issues, I don't want her near Caleb, could the secretary test. Again, she says no. I remind her that Caleb can do the test himself, he just needs someone to interpret the result. She starts to lecture me that even if dh does come to do the first test, the health tech will have to got the room with him to record the bg, carbs, etc for their record-keeping. I said I don't want her any where near Caleb unless there's blood. Anyway, it escalates into an argument about the health-tech being there with the support of the district RN and the principal, and I ultimately make the decision to go pick Caleb up and take him with me to the conference call. (He was at school for 25mins.)

Did I do the right thing? Should I have let the health tech test him and left him at school? Let me add that I realize Caleb could get a bug anywhere, the market, the library, from the kid in the desk next to him, but my argument is why knowingly expose him to whatever it is that the health tech has.

2. mom2kenny

mom2kenny Approved members

If i saw she was ill with my own eyes as you did i would have done the same! People just dont understand that what is a minor illness to some can be major for a child with d!

3. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

It's not really smart to have a sick nurse at school. There are so many kids that pass thru. Why would they allow that???

4. allisa

allisa Approved members

I'll be honest and say yes, I think you did over react.....I know why you did and understand it....but yes......to pull him from school because the health tech has a head cold seems like too strong an action.

He wants to play at a friend's house where a sibling has been vomitting....no way !! Half his class has stomach bug that is being passed around.....I'd stay home til germs are clear......but a head cold in an adult who probably washes her hands 50 times a day.......seems excessive.

Perhaps it escalated with all the phone calls and turned into a power struggle that was unecessary. If it were me....I'd be feeling apologetic. If you have a head cold.....do you stay clear of your child ? Or do you trust yourself to wash hands and not sneeze on him. ;) You basically told her you don't trust her.....has she given you reason not to in the past ?

5. mollysmom

mollysmom Approved members

I would have done the same thing! I have taken Molly out of school twice this year trying to keep her from getting sick. Once because one of the little girls in school kept saying she felt like she was going to throw up. Her mom didn't come pick her up because the little girl didn't want to go home, so I just took Molly home. The other time was when a bunch of the preschoolers in the class next door had the stomach flu including a sister of Molly's best friend in her class, so....I just kept her home that day. Like you said, they can get it anywhere, but I try not to knowingly expose her to anything:rolleyes:

6. Jenna'sMom

Jenna'sMom Approved members

I DO understand your concern, but I also think you overreacted a little. The only reason you knew of her illness is because you happened to see her. What about the lunch lady that served his lunch? The kids he shared toys with? The person who used the water fountain before him? You get the idea. I imagine that the health tech was well aware of her symptoms and also knows how to do her best to keep germs from spreading, unlike most other people/kids.

With that said, we all know how any little illness can wreak havoc on BG numbers and even worse. I know the first thought through my head when I hear of anything going around is, "Man, I hope Jenna doesn't get it." So, again, I do understand your reaction.:cwds:

7. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Here at least, EVERYONE is sick and germs are unavoidable. I would emphasis washing hands a lot, but I don't think there's much you can do to totally avoid exposure to germs, and a test only takes a few seconds.

8. Big Hair Momma

I do try to limit my contact with Caleb when I don't feel well. And I don't feel apologetic at all. Maybe I should, but I don't. If bg had been more stable the last few days, I would have not worried about it, but with all that's going on I didn't feel it would be prudent to complicate the situation.

9. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

It wouldnt matter. Your contagious for several days with an illness before you show symptoms anyways. She has tested his sugars then didnt she? With the HIs that you had on the meter, its still not a given that your child is fighting any illness off... could be growth spurt, could be a number of other reasons with D. She is an adult, she would be prudent with hand washing and using tissue. Im willing to bet the farm, that the children in his classroom are not as diligent, yet, he is exposed to them all day long.

10. Big Hair Momma

Actually, no, she hasn't. This is our first day of school this week (for Kindergarten) due to Parent Teacher Conferences.

11. mollysmom

mollysmom Approved members

Stacie,

Ultimately, you have to do what you think is best for Caleb:) Especially during a period when you are having such a hard time with his numbers. I know I can be a little over protective when it comes to Molly being around people with an illness, but I've gotten a little better as she's gotten older:rolleyes: Being sick can sometimes mess Molly's numbers for up to a month, so it's really hard to have her around someone I know is sick.

Here's the thing...he missed out on 1 day of kindergarten, not his senior finals. No biggie:D

12. pumpgirl

pumpgirl Approved members

In my opinion, I feel you may have slightly overreacted. Having had diabetes for 17 yrs, I've had all the ups and downs that you explain Caleb is having now. I avged an A1C of 13 for about 2 yrs and continued to go to school everyday, with bloodsugars avging 300+.:eek: I was exposed to ALL KINDS of illnesses and still am. It's going to be something that Caleb encounters throughout many times in his life. This may have been knowing to you, but have you taken into consideration the possibility of the exposure that he gets from those nasty little classmates that sneeze in their hand, wipe their nose, then touch the exact same toy or water fountain as he? If that were the case, then you might as well just pull him out of school! But you don't want to do that, it's not going to help to put him in a bubble for the rest of his life.:( I think, just as many others posted, you may want to take into consideration that she is a health tech and more than likely washes her hands before and after dealing with him. If anything, could you have suggested she at least wear a mask while helping him? No need to walk on eggshells your whole life because of his diabetes. If you're having trouble managing his bloodsugars now, it could be that he's already fighting off some kind of illness. And better yet, he hasn't even hit puberty... it gets MUCH more difficult to maintain decent bloodsugars even then! But you can't keep him out of school because of that. You still need to let him be exposed to the everyday cold... our immune system is almost shot, but not completely!;) Good luck!

13. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

I've got mixed emotions on this one - I would surely hope that she only has a head cold and that she would be prudent with washing before and after - and having him do the same -- however, if I did not have a good history with her and knowledge of her good and sanitary habits, I would be a bit leary. The only reason is the older I get, the more I realize that folks are not always what they are cracked up to be, nurse or not, and they never cease to amaze/surprise me at what idiotic things they will do without even thinking. I would not hesitate if it was my school nurse because I've known her for years and have no doubt that if she even thought she might be contagious with something she would wash up, keep distance or send him to her backup - no way would she take a chance of getting him sick - she loves him too much and vice versa.

All that being said - what really worries me right now is that we are having HUGE issues with the flu around here. The vaccines given are not the same strain that has hit our community hard - ONE WHOLE SCHOOL SYSTEM IS SHUTTING DOWN TOMORROW BECAUSE IT IS SO BAD!!! Flu testing is being done in all the clinics and they are positive all over the place - we've been lucky so far and only had strep but this flu is taking people DOWN and it is spreading fast and easy - not sure now is the time to be taking any chances with our D kids as they can and will land in the hospital more often than others - antibiotics don't help with flu, ya know... even a few otherwise healthy young ones around here have been hospitalized with this stuff progressing from the flu to the flu + pneumonia -right now I would prefer Tyler stay clear of anyone who appears sick - he may still get it but anything we can do to decrease the chance would be worth it. I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE A CHILD IN THE HOSPITAL EVER AGAIN IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!!!!:cwds:

Over-reaction - maybe, but your child your decision and you have to follow your gut - so no way do I question your decision

Good Mama Bear instinct - absolutely :)

14. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I'm going to have to say yes and no...

I don't blame you what so ever for not wanting the health clerk to test Caleb, I would have said something too...I can't tell you how many times I said what you just did...

"I realize Caleb could get a bug anywhere, the market, the library, from the kid in the desk next to him, but my argument is why knowingly expose him to whatever it is that the health tech has." Insert Seth's name here LOL

The only differance I would have made, would be that I would have first tried handling it with the Health clerk. I would have said something like..You know I think your great, but do you think you could have (Insert name of someone else you trust) test Caleb today, you know how crazy his bg's get when he's sick, their already crazy, so I would really appriciate it, sorry I'm being such a germ a phobe:eek:

She may have felt told on my calling the "Nurse":confused:

I meant "No, But" in the title...I wish we could edit those

15. Big Hair Momma

Influenza B is the strain that's spreading like wildfire here. In the last month there have been two children under the age of 4 die from complications from the Flu. It's scary stuff, and not to be taken lightly, IMO.

16. allisa

allisa Approved members

You said it much better than me !! That is what I meant when I said I would feel apologetic.....never apologetic for worrying about your child....but apologetic for that side of it....thanks for saying what I did not !

17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Our school doesn't allow teachers/aides/nurses to be in the school if they are sick. The nurses finally got the principal to end the perfect attendence award because too many parents were treating kids with tylenol and then sending them to school, masking fever.

So the policy is if you are in the condition that you wouldn't want a kid in your class to be in, then you need to stay home too! There are several kids in the school with compromised immune systems, and this is one way to help keep them healthy.

18. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Well, a little. But I'm of the mind that minor colds are so wide spread that there is just no real way beyond lots of hand washing/sanitizer to stop them and most kids are exposed to the common cold many many times throughout the day at school.

But hey, we all have our issues. The flu now, I don't want anyone with the flu or puking bugs within a mile of Lia lol!

19. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

It may not mean much, but I think you did the right thing. Of course, there is so very little that we can all do to prevent getting a cold, but purposely avoiding someone who is obviously sick is one pretty good way to do it. ESPECIALLY if that person is the one who would be opening a wound on his finger. Even if her hands were washed, it wouldn't take much for germs to be breathed on him. And who's to say that she doesn't have mild flu instead of a cold?

I would have done the same thing, especially if my blood sugars were already crazy high. That's a good way to end up in DKA.

20. bisous

bisous Approved members

Hey, you are the momma and you can do whatever you feel is best for your child, no problem.

Would I have done this? No way. I'm just not too concerned about germs. My DS is 4 years old and active in every way. There is no way to avoid the germs that beset us. If by hypervigilance I could do that, then maybe I would take your approach but in my experience it doesn't do anything but make for more stress and worse numbers.